Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Icom IC 703 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC 703
Icom IC 703 Reviews: 183 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $400.00
Description: QRP HF and 6 Meter all mode radio. Comes standard with Antenna Tuner, DSP, Keyer, Memory Keyer, Power Conservasion system.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/703/default.a

You can write your own review of the Icom IC 703.

W5FZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2013 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Installed FL-52A CW Filter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Radio set works great, nice, terrific but...after installing the newly received FL-52A 500HZ CW filter by ICOM, when in Narrow cw,,the receive drops way down. I have to turn the volume WAY up to hear OK. It does filter, but???? Was careful not to do cold solder joints when installing it, so now what? Marked 0 to 3 months for owning the new FL-52A filter, had the radio about 3 to 6 months.

IK3BRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 07:35 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the plus version since 2009, compared with the Yaesu FT-817ND (owned) in hf bands the Icom IC 703 is far superior in terms of quality and cleanliness of the signal.
Definitely good radio with the built in antenna tuner very very efficient.

KA6SGT Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2012 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a versatile little radio with great features! I pressed this rig into contesting service over a two year period and was amazed at how well it could be heard in the company of "big gun" stations. The FSK feature was surprisingly easy to implement with the W3YY Interface (http://w3yy.com/fsk.htm). I even help draft the schematic for this rig (http://w3yy.com/ic703.pdf) when I was W9IP. Wish I still had it! Had to sell off my station about two years ago to help pay medical bills.

N4SAX Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2012 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Still a TERRIFIC Rig!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since I first wrote my review of the IC-703, I have had a good opportunity to get even more familiar with the radio. All I can say, after spending a couple more months with this radio, is that I echo the sentiments of N0AZZ – This little radio should be put back into production! I am constantly amazed at how well the rig operates with such little power. I like it so much that I made two videos for YouTube displaying the quality and capability of the 703. The first video is from Field Day 2012 (stateside contacts) and the second video was filmed during the (Sep 2012) Worked All Europe DX contest. Both videos are based on 15-meter contesting, but the radio has worked equally well on all the bands I have tried to date. My IC-703 videos are located at:

Field Day (Stateside):

Worked All Europe (All Europe contacts):

Bottom line: If you are contemplating picking up an IC-703, I think you will find (as I have) that the rig is well worth your investment!

N4SAX Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2012 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Great Re-Entry Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being a "dormant Ham" for 30+ years, I decided to get back into the hobby that fascinated me through my college days. I found a used IC-703 on one of the forums and it turned out to be a great purchase! I initially encountered the RF issue which caused erratic CW locking during transmit and I made the mod (grounded the key socket) to eliminate that problem. Have been using the rig with a long wire and a 20-meter EndFedz antenna. During last weekend's SSB contest, I worked Spain, Luxembourg, England, Slovenia, Madiera Island, and France (among others!) on my little 10 watter. Had to wait my turn through the pileups but it was a blast. My neighbor (also a Ham) was amazed when I shouted "...just worked Madrid on 10 watts"...and he had to come see what my formula was. Although I know the antennas (on both ends) had a lot to do with it, the little Icom made it fun for sure. Great QRP rig and fun to operate once you get used to the menu system!

G4YVM Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2011 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Yes, it's very good.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, I've used this rig mobile now and also at home just for fun. It delivers the QSOs for sure, and it gets good reports for audio etc. Filtering is good enough.

I had the "tx lock" on CW when I added a miracle whip but the DK mod from Icom sorted it.

My BIG concern is that awful menu system! Hell's teeth its hard work. I mean, why??? However , when you fathom your way round the menu it's a useful bit of kit.

The other issue for me is that the screen text is a little small and I need to keep popping reading glasses on to see what it's doing.

The auto ATU inside is also pretty good. It resolves SWR on my short mobile whip and buts of wire. I don't perceive it to be as good as my 746 ATU or the LDG 817, but then why would it be? It's not in the same league but it owes work as a trimming ATU. All in all it's worth having

Final thoughts? I like it. Mobile or base, it's a goodl little wireless.

These things sound like I'm not happy, in fact I am. I enjoy using the 703 and it works fine.

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2011 04:12 Send this review to a friend
The Best IN IT'S CLASS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned an K2, 817 both are distant seconds to the 703+. Best display, audio, receiver, atu will tune about anything within reason, very good battery life when portable.

This radio should be brought back into production.

KM0U Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2011 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a plus model and use it regularly as my home rig with fixed, tuned antennas. I like to go camping so use the rig for occasional portable operation as well. When portable, the ATU is terrific with an end-fed wire (70 feet), LDG 4:1 balun, 35-70 foot counterpoise, and a short length of coax it quickly tunes 6 through 80 without any issues at all.
Lots has already been said about the other attributes of the rig by previous posters but I wanted to emphasize the tuner's ability to effectively tune/match a simple end-fed wire across a broad spectrum of freqencies thus making the rig a great portable choice.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a QRP rig with an internal atu, give the 703 strong consideration, I've been using mine for several years with excellent results.

YV4OW Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2011 07:46 Send this review to a friend
1 revision  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Estas son mis impresiones despues de llevar el ic-703 por mas de 6 dias caminando por aproximadamente 50 kilometros de los cuales en 2 hubo que salvar una altura de casi mil metros (monte Roraima)
Sus dos kilos de peso y su pequeño volumen nunca fueron un inconveniente para caminar o para atravesar 2 caudalosos rios (Kukenan y Toc) tampoco lo fueron las 4 pequeñas baterias lipo que me deberian dar una autonomia de 24 horas de operacion ya probadas en mi casa de la isla de Margarita.
Un poco mas pesada y voluminosa (3 kilos) fue la antena OCF que lleve en el morral. Total el morral no llego a pesar mas de 14 kilos que es lo que me permito llevar a mis 69 años.
Todo el tiempo llovio pero aun asi pude desplegar la antena en el Roraima y trabajar en 40,20 y 15 metros con apenas 1.2 de estacionaria sobre la ocf
en la cual utilice un balun 4:1 hecho sobre un toroide binocular.
Excelente el tuner
Excelente el compresor
Excelente el receptor y
Excelente la antena que me permitio recibir reportes 59 con apenas 3 vatios de salida puesto que trabaje todo el tiempo en baja potencia para conservar baterias.
yv4ow

W2WAW Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2011 02:19 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own both the 703 and the + model.This rig in my opinion is by far the best portable rig for the money. The receiver is fantastic, the current draw is very low and the internal tuner is great, long wire with a balun, twin lead dipole etc.
I have not found an antenna that it would not match.
Check the bias voltage on the original 703 and then GO CAMPING,73 W2WAW.