Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BC-898T Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BC-898T
Uniden BC-898T Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $220 (street price)
Description: 500 Channel Programmable Base Scanner with TrunkTracker III
More info: http://www.uniden.com/productpop/00_productpop.cfm?prd_code=BC898T

You can write your own review of the Uniden BC-898T.

VA7XQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2014 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this scanner for a few years now and I absolutely love it! It is certainly one of the best scanners I have ever owned for all around scanning. I use mine with a roof-mounted discone antenna and get excellent coverage with it. It is sensitive, has virtually no problems with images and is built like a tank. I use it mainly for searching out new frequencies, and it shines in that department, with 10 separate programmable search ranges. Most of the comms in my area are still analog, so I have lots to listen to. If you can get your mitts on one of these radios on the used market, grab it!

TOMJOHNSONN8PQB Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2009 09:57 Send this review to a friend
An Excellent Receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Even after reading all the reviews here, I was brave and decided to buy the BC-898T anyway. Am I just one of the lucky ones? I find absolutely no problems with this scanner in any way. I admit to being a "seasoned" scanner user, and couldn't even venture a wild guess at how many I have owned, but I can honestly say I am overly impressed with the 898T.
I programmed all my frequencies without looking at the manual, because Uniden has pretty much standardized on programming steps, and these haven't changed much over the years. This I feel is a big plus, like riding a bicycle, once you learn the sequence, it changes very little.
I have my 898T connected to a home made outside antenna, and receive signals from up to 40 miles away, crystal clear, no overloading, and by watching the signal strength indicator, (a real nice feature) can closely tell the approximate distance from the source of the signal.
This is a 5+ in every respect, in my opinion. When compared to my other receivers, it exceeds expectations, and even exceeds the performance of some of the more expensive scanners I have.
I strongly recommend the 898T to anyone looking for a strong performing receiver/scanner.

N4AEQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2007 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Great scanner/receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these when they first hit the market and have been well pleased. I do not use it for trunking so I cant comment on that area.
The ability to change the step from 5,6.2,12.5 or 25kc & am,fm or wfm mode on any band along with the large vfo dial makes it perfect for the
ham shack.

KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2006 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice Scanner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I received this scanner for Christmas 2005. For the past 8 months it has worked perfectly. It receives all frequencies well, is easy to use and appears to be fairly sensitive. I am using the provided telescoping antenna. One of these days I will use a real antenna and find out how good it is. For now, I am able to receive signals from a number of counties, and everything locally, with relative ease. I'm glad Santa bought this for me.

K6HJM Rating: 3/5 Mar 10, 2006 20:58 Send this review to a friend
sort of OK but poor AM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a 780 XLT for about 2 years but have always been unhappy with its AM sensitivity...poor with airband reception. Based upon comments on eHam I ordered a 898T. Same problem! Note that it is not the antenna or coax, since I can A vs B the outside disc-cone antenna between the 898 and a Drake R8B with airband option...Drake very good but 898T unable to receive almost every signal.

Looks like a "real" radio but no better than 780.

N1TGE Rating: 4/5 Mar 9, 2006 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad receiver however the instructions manual is useless  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a larger scanner so you need a descent place to put it. It has 500 channels and without Alpha tags that can be a pain to identify who you are receiving. But, I knew this when buying the radio.

I live in a condo so I have a MFJ-1688 discone antenna in my attic and I am able to hear pretty well with it. I am surrounded by hills but can still receive some 800 mhz systems that are quite far away which is suprising in hilly CT. The UHF receive (460 range) seems to be worse than other Uniden scanners I have owned. However, If I was able to get the antenna outside I am sure this thing would be different.

The only two problems I have are minor. Behind my condo complex (1/4 mile away) there is a Sprint tower with all of the towns services on it. Whenever the PD is talking on VHF high (155 mhz) they come over any frequency programmed so the intermod rejection is bad on VHF high. There are also Low Band (46 mhz) and UHF (453 mhz) transmitters at this site and I do not have any intermod problems when those transmitters are active.

The other problem is I cannot get this thing to decode a 79.7 PL tone. I know the PL tone is correct since I manage the system, the scanner just scans past and even if held on the frequency it doesnt even peep.

The biggest problem is the manual sucks. If you want to use this scanner for trunk tracking then you are going to have a headache. Go to the bc898t yahoo group for help.

In conclusion, I would by this scanner again. I like the size for base use and dont really need the trunk tracking instructions the manual doesnt explain how to use. I also dont have a need for the alpha tags because I can remember frequencies/users well. The receiver is good but like I said I think the UHF could be better, but again my antenna is in an attic and I am in a valley.

WT3844 Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2005 06:33 Send this review to a friend
GOOD PERFORMER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MUCH IMPROVED OVER THE 895. LARGER DISPLAY AND IT IS ABOUT TIME THAT THEY INCLUDED NFM IN THE MODULATION MODE.OVERALL I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS RECEIVER.NO ALPHA TAGS BUT THAT IS NOT AN ISSUE WITH ME.

CLEBOT Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2005 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Really happy with it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my 898T last week, and so far have been very pleased with it.
What I enjoy most is the “Auto Store” function…I just enter the frequency range I want to monitor (VHF/UHF Airband in my case) push the button and I’m off!
I let it run like this overnight or while at work and when I get home I am treated to a good scanning session of the frequencies that that were automatically stored.
Backlighting function is nice, and I like the fact that it can be turned off altogether.
I also really like the nice, big VFO knob. This was a big selling point for me. It makes the scanner feel more like a receiver, and I can really race through frequencies and channels.
I don’t have any software for it yet (another big selling point for me) but I am planning on getting the Scancat Gold “SE” software. I have only begun to scratch the surface with this radio, and can’t wait to play with it some more to really find out what it can do.
Didn't rate this a 4, due to lack of alpha tags. That would have been SWEET!

AIR490 Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2004 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Great for airband!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 898T mainly for use on VHF and UHF airband. It really excels in this area, definately outdoing the 780XLT. It is on a par when it comes to trunking, although I can only comment on UHF trunking.

It is a large unit, but that's OK because I don't plan on taking mine travelling.

The only real shortcoming it has is the lack of alpha-tags, but I can live without them.

The tone scan issue was not a concern to me. I did the firmware upgrade and have never had a problem in that area.

All in all it is a good scanner.

KC2IGY Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2004 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Tone Bug Fixed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Uniden came through with a firmware update that fixes the "Tone Bug" on the 898T. The radio now performs as it should. It is an excellent performing scanner, at a good price. It lacks some of the features of the BC780XLT, but in some ways it outperforms it.