Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP EAGLE Help

Reviews Summary for GAP EAGLE
GAP EAGLE Reviews: 66 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: 40 through 10m vertical
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP EAGLE.

N1RND Rating: 1/5 Sep 4, 2017 04:32 Send this review to a friend
Was not a good experience for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review is from 20 years of experience with this antenna.
My Dad had this antenna at his qth for the first 18 years. I assembled and installed it for him. It only seemed to work ok on 20 meters. The antenna was mounted on the roof up high and in the clear.
My Dad became an SK and I took the antenna down and brought it to my qth.
I wanted to find out why some people hate this antenna and some people love it.
I took it completely apart and cleaned and inspected all the parts. Keep in mind I have almost 40 years of "antenna experience". I ordered a new center section (the gap) with coax harness, I did not want to take any chances there. I also ordered some misc. smaller items.
While waiting for the parts I scoured the internet regarding the Eagle and found a few interesting articles people had wrote about their experiences. Still I felt confident I could make it work.
A few weeks later I had it assembled and installed on the roof of my house. Forget 40 meters, its deaf there, does not even come close to my low 40 meter dipole. Even a 40 meter Ham Stick on my pick-up truck out performs it!
20,17,15,10 did seem to work well though.
I did not get good swr curves on all bands and the only bands that are tuneable are 10 and I think 12. I wanted to shift my curve on 20 because it resonated high in and above the band. Chris at GAP told me to add lengths of aluminum tubing to the counterpoise apparently the counterpoise is for 20. It took nearly 2 ft. added to all three counterpoised to bring the resonance down in the middle of the 20 meter band. But it increased the windloading of the counterpoise causing it to rotated on the base of the antenna no matter how hard I tightened the hose clamp that holds it there. It should have a U-bolt instead. Here is other things about the Eagle I didn't like.
1 The screws holding the wire jumpers to the center section sometime become loose and fall out! Rendering the antenna inoperatable. Chris said "oh yes this can happen due to wind vibration". Well then re-design it! You can't use thru bolts because you need the "bite" of the sheet metal screws. I ended up using larger screws and lock-tite. This worked for a while untill metal fatigue broke one of the jumpers anyway.
2. The coax connection is not like what you expect from other antennas, you solder on a pl-259 to the coax stub and then use a double female connector to your coax. This connection is to be zip tied to the bottom tube for electrical contact. It should have a bracket with an so-239 like other manufacturers use. I also noticed this part of the ant. along with the air choke you make up it very sensitive swr wise, every time you move or redo the assembly the swr shifts a little.
3. The directions are terrible. Only a few and they are poor.
4. Chris at GAP said don't ground your metal support structure this could detune the antenna. ACCORDING TO THE NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE ALL METAL SUPPORT STRUCTURES MUST BE GROUNDED.

I don't like bad mouthing any products but this is the experience I had with the Eagle. When you buy a commercially made product you shouldn't have to re-engineer it.
Think carefully if your considering buying it.

N4LEC Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2016 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna I've ever had  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my GAP Eagle antenna new in 2008 and it has been my primary antenna ever since. I've worked the advertised bands from 10 up to 40 meters without any issues. I've also worked 30 meters with superb results although nothing in the docs mention 30 being available. I've also worked digital on 60 meters and even made one PSK contact on 80 meters! I'd not recommend using the Eagle on 80 but IMO this shows the quality and range of this antenna. If I were asked to suggest a good multi-band antenna for beginning hams, or for more seasoned hams looking for a relatively inexpensive antenna for digital work, the Gap Eagle would be it.

KE6MUE Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Works better than I expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found it to be very high quality, went together just as shown in the instructions. The instructions weren't Heathkit quality, but they were pretty darn good. Does a Heathkit reference date me? Good, I'm proud of it! I didn't have to make any tuning adjustments and have very good swr across the bands. Worked some great dx right out of the chute on 10 meters, one in Uraguay and one on Sakhalin Island east of Russia. It's a great antenna solution for limited space installations, I'm very happy with it. I also think it looks cool gleaming over my house.

K8WRS Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2015 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Great for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought it used in 1995. It is mounted 9 foot off the ground on a bolted down tripod.
I have worked the Antarctic more than once, New Zealand, Europe, Africa and the Middle East with 100w.
Of course I do have a large open area behind my home. Another person asked my help as his did not work well. Reason was it was surrounded by trees, houses and garages on a very small lot and only up about (9')high as mine but no space to get out.
You can't mount an antenna in a hole and expect it to work.
Also be reminded that the Gap Eagle cannot run with even a 600w amplifier on 40 meters.
I thought of using one but called first and was told it will damage the antenna.
But with 20 years and all those contacts I love it.

W3CFE Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2015 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I never was a fan of verticals. But having just moved to Ft. Myers Fl and with limited space a vertical was the only alternative. Picked up a GAP Eagle and I'm truly amazed. I'm only running less than 100 Watts with a TS-480 and if I can hear it I can work it. I've worked every band from 40-10 and it really does the job. Amazing well engineered product. It's a series of vertical dipoles that are fed in the center of the mast. Well made and performs great.Highly recommend the antenna..

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2014 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Easy install works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembled and installed the gap eagle antenna in about three hours. It was fairly easy but directions are not great. They leave much to interpretation and the pictures are like scribbled by hand. Fortunately I have put up a lot of antennas and I was able to weave my way through them. Antenna went up easily with no issue. All bands tuned perfectly. Guess I got lucky. Antenna is larger than I first thought it would be and needs to be guyed. It toppled over on my tripod mount. Fortunately it wasn't damaged. Guyed it and it is still erect now. I am back on the air.

N5MF Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2014 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a short note to say that the GAP Eagle I purchased works fine. Built as per instructions and it fell within the 2:1 SWR ratings on all bands. In fact on all but 40 and 15 it is about 1.3:1 or better. Chris at GAP is very helpful and gave me a few things I could do to get them peaked using the tuning stubs so I will do that. On 40 the swr is 2:1 at 7Hhz but at 7.170 it is 1.5:1. I am going to measure the 40 stub cap and he said we can probably adjust that down with a different cap. All in all it has performed well and I will say the noise level on 40 has dropped about 2 s-units with no apparent degradation of the recieve signals. If there is any, the lower noise makes things much quieter and the signals are much more readable. Using 100 watts I have been able to work EU, Asia and VK/ZL and SA with no problems inspite of the poor band conditions I have experienced here in NM. I have it mounted just above the roof level about 15 feet high and have had excellent results.

It really seems to work best on 20-15 but havent really had good enough conditions to comment on 12-10. 40 works fine with a tuner for now.

Yeah, a 6 ele yagi at 75 feet would be better but I dont have room for that right now so this is a good substitute considering the situation.

If you need something small, easy to put up and aren't expecting monoband yagi performance this will work just fine. I imagine the other models may do better since they are longer but the landlord limited me so this is what I can do.

KF4OKF Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2013 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my GAP Eagle in 1998 and used it in FL. Have a very small lot and putting up a wire antenna at any respectable height was impossible. Installed it on a galvanized pipe next to house in my backyard and it was up 13 feet. The installation instructions were easy to follow and it went up on the pipe with no problem. It withstood many high wind events without a problem. The best part though was the QSO's I had with the Eagle. First used it with a Ten Tec Scout at 50W and couldn't believe the difference between using it and a inverted vee antenna that was too low to work dx- I could now actually work dx !!!!! Added a Kenwood TS 950 SD to the station and this made the dx experience even better. Had no problem tuning up the antenna on any of the bands with the internal tuner of the 950. Running without an amp I was able to break many pileups even on SSB. The Eagle received many compliments from other hams with my signal on all bands including 40 M. This antenna is a great dx antenna for anyone with a small lot or perhaps for an RV. Of course living 500 ft. from the Atlantic didn't hurt I suppose but have worked other hams using the Eagle located in such locations as the desert southwest and they had great signals as well. Follow the directions and you'll be working dx in no time. The antenna police made me take down my antenna but soon I hope to have the Eagle up and running again at another QTH. Thanks to GAP for making a fine product.

KB1TCD Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2011 23:36 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
We've had this antenna a couple of years, installed it on the side of the house, very poor results, lots of RF in the shack and high SWR.
Last spring we moved it and attached it to the barn about 100 ft away from the house and added four 30ft ground radials as well. Difference is night and day, antenna works great with decent SWR on all bands it's supposed to.
Instructions are crappy but with patience it is doable.

73 de KB1TCD

KC6ZWH Rating: 0/5 Dec 3, 2010 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
horrible instructions. something that would normally take me a few hours took me a few days. after assembly i tested it on the ground and it was perfect. put it on the roof and 40 and 10 meters went to 10:1 vswr. Where did my perfect go. grounded or not still the same. The only pleasure i got from this was sending it back. bought a hy-gain AV-640. that was very easy to assemble and works fine. As they say in England, mind the GAP