Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP EAGLE Help

Reviews Summary for GAP EAGLE
GAP EAGLE Reviews: 60 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: 40 through 10m vertical
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP EAGLE.

N5MF Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2014 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a short note to say that the GAP Eagle I purchased works fine. Built as per instructions and it fell within the 2:1 SWR ratings on all bands. In fact on all but 40 and 15 it is about 1.3:1 or better. Chris at GAP is very helpful and gave me a few things I could do to get them peaked using the tuning stubs so I will do that. On 40 the swr is 2:1 at 7Hhz but at 7.170 it is 1.5:1. I am going to measure the 40 stub cap and he said we can probably adjust that down with a different cap. All in all it has performed well and I will say the noise level on 40 has dropped about 2 s-units with no apparent degradation of the recieve signals. If there is any, the lower noise makes things much quieter and the signals are much more readable. Using 100 watts I have been able to work EU, Asia and VK/ZL and SA with no problems inspite of the poor band conditions I have experienced here in NM. I have it mounted just above the roof level about 15 feet high and have had excellent results.

It really seems to work best on 20-15 but havent really had good enough conditions to comment on 12-10. 40 works fine with a tuner for now.

Yeah, a 6 ele yagi at 75 feet would be better but I dont have room for that right now so this is a good substitute considering the situation.

If you need something small, easy to put up and aren't expecting monoband yagi performance this will work just fine. I imagine the other models may do better since they are longer but the landlord limited me so this is what I can do.

KF4OKF Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2013 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my GAP Eagle in 1998 and used it in FL. Have a very small lot and putting up a wire antenna at any respectable height was impossible. Installed it on a galvanized pipe next to house in my backyard and it was up 13 feet. The installation instructions were easy to follow and it went up on the pipe with no problem. It withstood many high wind events without a problem. The best part though was the QSO's I had with the Eagle. First used it with a Ten Tec Scout at 50W and couldn't believe the difference between using it and a inverted vee antenna that was too low to work dx- I could now actually work dx !!!!! Added a Kenwood TS 950 SD to the station and this made the dx experience even better. Had no problem tuning up the antenna on any of the bands with the internal tuner of the 950. Running without an amp I was able to break many pileups even on SSB. The Eagle received many compliments from other hams with my signal on all bands including 40 M. This antenna is a great dx antenna for anyone with a small lot or perhaps for an RV. Of course living 500 ft. from the Atlantic didn't hurt I suppose but have worked other hams using the Eagle located in such locations as the desert southwest and they had great signals as well. Follow the directions and you'll be working dx in no time. The antenna police made me take down my antenna but soon I hope to have the Eagle up and running again at another QTH. Thanks to GAP for making a fine product.

KB1TCD Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2011 23:36 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
We've had this antenna a couple of years, installed it on the side of the house, very poor results, lots of RF in the shack and high SWR.
Last spring we moved it and attached it to the barn about 100 ft away from the house and added four 30ft ground radials as well. Difference is night and day, antenna works great with decent SWR on all bands it's supposed to.
Instructions are crappy but with patience it is doable.

73 de KB1TCD

KC6ZWH Rating: 0/5 Dec 3, 2010 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
horrible instructions. something that would normally take me a few hours took me a few days. after assembly i tested it on the ground and it was perfect. put it on the roof and 40 and 10 meters went to 10:1 vswr. Where did my perfect go. grounded or not still the same. The only pleasure i got from this was sending it back. bought a hy-gain AV-640. that was very easy to assemble and works fine. As they say in England, mind the GAP

WB8YQJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2010 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Good and Durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a GAP Eagle installed at this location since 1993.

Mine is painted green, and ground mounted near trees for a minimal visual impact.

The antenna performs equal to a dipole at 30 feet in height on 20m-10m and is super tough and durable. I cannot keep any wire up for one year, the wind always blows them down, the GAP just works for years and years without a care or worry.

The RF exits the antenna at a height where it has a chance to escape large ground loss as compared to a true vertical and there are no traps so 100 watts less your coaxial loss is what goes out.

This antenna is 40m "compatible", but is too short to use as anything other than an emergency antenna on 40m, any longer wire will beat it.

There are two ways I see to make this antenna fail for SWR, a botched application of the PL259 - that happens more often than you would think, and if you dont wrap electrical tape around the top of the steel pipe which is driven into the ground, it is possible that the rigid ground rods assembly will short to the mast upon assembly. The antenna will not tune this way.

The antenna is a dipole mounted on one end, not a vertical, and thats why the GAP antenna does not have the aggravating problems common to smaller than physical half wave antennas. But neither side of the antenna can be grounded, the entire antenna must be insulated from the ground pipe.

This antenna design has a major benefit in that it collects the signal from more polarity angles than a dipole.

As a test, I mounted crossed dipoles at 20 feet, one vertical and one horizontal and then put them on an A/B switch. I see from equal to S9 differences and it always changes within moments from one antenna to the next being the better.

The GAP has the vertical part of the antenna, the tuning rods, and the horizontal counterpoise
all working to accept the signal from many angles.

The GAP can be adjusted to better than 2.0 to 1 SWR on 20m-10m but it takes time and lots of trial and error. There are these "stubs" at the bottom of the antenna, which must be adjusted band by band and yes a change will affect slightly other bands, this is in the manual. What they dont say is the rods assembly can also be rotated small amounts around the antenna center vertical mast and that can provide the ultimate
best solution.

It sounds problematic, but it is consistent and can be dialed in with time, trial and error.

Some other antennas I have used (the Butternut Butterfly comes to mind) are loaded with reactance and are feedline length+orientation sensitive, they will truly drive you nuts. The GAP has a wide sweet spot and it can be found fairly easily.

Cheers de wb8yqj
Carlsbad, Ca.

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2010 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Update: 13 years now, and still working great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've now had this well made, sturdy vertical up in the same location for 13 years (mounted to small mast and attached to eaves on lowest point of roof), and I have not had to re-tighten, re-tune, or do anything to it! The steel mounting u-bolts are now rusted but the aluminum antenna itself looks and works great. For a small footprint, no radials (just short counterpoises), multiband, trapless vertical, this HF antenna is a great value and simple solution to getting on the air. Today on 17m and 12m, I worked a 'VQ9', 'SV1', '4X4', 'EA9', 'HB9', and 'OK2' running barefoot. For me, this vertical has been a godsend in getting me on the air from a small backyard location for so many years now. THANK YOU GAP!

KD8FVJ Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2010 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Good Antenna Did find that mounting at 10' did lower SWR on 40mter to what is claimed as well as all the other bands and as far as noise for a vertical it is quiet . the directions for assembly
are not that good but any Ham should be able to figure it out . over all a good antenna made a lot of QSOs

W1UOY Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Continues to work well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my second post and follow-up to previous post. Now owned for about 6 months during poor sunspots. I continue to get good reports over most of the world running a FT-102 barefoot without antenna tuner. Asia is a little tough but aqain poor sunspots and no amp. Using no radials and antenna about 2 feet from corner of house.

W1UOY Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2009 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Value Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the Eagle DX for a few months now. Although I think the Butternut is a better vertical, the no radial and lower cost is a good value. I can't afford towers and beams and the expense of many verticals these days but I have found the GAP Eagle DX to be a good value. It was easy to assemble. I use a hybrid transceiver with now SWR meter and setup antenna per manufacture spec. Since I use a hybrid transceiver with 6146 finals ( tank circuit ), I can easily load all the bands. A snapshot of my log recently under poor sun spot conditions is this:

Balearic Is
Brasil
Cuba
Portugal
Italy

Granted a dipole may do just as well to Europe I have found the GAP to perform well. I am realistic in that a yagi, quad or even Butternut or other vertical over a ground plane would be better but I think the cost vs other verticals and the fact that it is 2 feet from corner of house the antenna has performed well using a FT-102 at 150watts only. Nice job GAP.

KE7VXP Rating: 4/5 Aug 23, 2009 20:13 Send this review to a friend
OK antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Put mine up ten feet on an iron pipe in the front yard. Already had a G5RV shorty at about 20 feet to compare. The Eagle receieved about one S unit better and get out much better. My farthest reach at 100 watts is mid-Mexico reported 5-9, but I have yet to hear, much less work Europe or Asia. This antenna is a decent compromise when you don't have much space for a dipole, or inverted V. Bottom line: its OK, but I'm not waving pom-poms.