Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP EAGLE Help

Reviews Summary for GAP EAGLE
GAP EAGLE Reviews: 65 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: 40 through 10m vertical

You can write your own review of the GAP EAGLE.

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2010 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Update: 13 years now, and still working great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've now had this well made, sturdy vertical up in the same location for 13 years (mounted to small mast and attached to eaves on lowest point of roof), and I have not had to re-tighten, re-tune, or do anything to it! The steel mounting u-bolts are now rusted but the aluminum antenna itself looks and works great. For a small footprint, no radials (just short counterpoises), multiband, trapless vertical, this HF antenna is a great value and simple solution to getting on the air. Today on 17m and 12m, I worked a 'VQ9', 'SV1', '4X4', 'EA9', 'HB9', and 'OK2' running barefoot. For me, this vertical has been a godsend in getting me on the air from a small backyard location for so many years now. THANK YOU GAP!
KD8FVJ Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2010 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Good Antenna Did find that mounting at 10' did lower SWR on 40mter to what is claimed as well as all the other bands and as far as noise for a vertical it is quiet . the directions for assembly
are not that good but any Ham should be able to figure it out . over all a good antenna made a lot of QSOs
W1UOY Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Continues to work well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my second post and follow-up to previous post. Now owned for about 6 months during poor sunspots. I continue to get good reports over most of the world running a FT-102 barefoot without antenna tuner. Asia is a little tough but aqain poor sunspots and no amp. Using no radials and antenna about 2 feet from corner of house.
W1UOY Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2009 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Good Value Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the Eagle DX for a few months now. Although I think the Butternut is a better vertical, the no radial and lower cost is a good value. I can't afford towers and beams and the expense of many verticals these days but I have found the GAP Eagle DX to be a good value. It was easy to assemble. I use a hybrid transceiver with now SWR meter and setup antenna per manufacture spec. Since I use a hybrid transceiver with 6146 finals ( tank circuit ), I can easily load all the bands. A snapshot of my log recently under poor sun spot conditions is this:

Balearic Is
Balearic Is
Catilina Is
Canary Islands
Agean Sea
Costa Rica

Granted a dipole may do just as well to Europe I have found the GAP to perform well. I am realistic in that a yagi, quad or even Butternut or other vertical over a ground plane would be better but I think the cost vs other verticals and the fact that it is 2 feet from corner of house the antenna has performed well using a FT-102 at 150watts only. Nice job GAP.
KE7VXP Rating: 4/5 Aug 23, 2009 20:13 Send this review to a friend
OK antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Put mine up ten feet on an iron pipe in the front yard. Already had a G5RV shorty at about 20 feet to compare. The Eagle receieved about one S unit better and get out much better. My farthest reach at 100 watts is mid-Mexico reported 5-9, but I have yet to hear, much less work Europe or Asia. This antenna is a decent compromise when you don't have much space for a dipole, or inverted V. Bottom line: its OK, but I'm not waving pom-poms.
W1UOY Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2009 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Seems to work well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I assembled a Gap Eagle DX vertical this weekend. The assembly was quite easy except the confusing part about which end of the double-walled end goes into the antenna. With modern day inkjet printers and digital cameras, it amazes me why the company can't spend a little time making a better manual. This review however is about the antenna.

I currently have the antenna in a temporary setup broadsided three feet from the side of the house, only about three feet high. So far the performance has been good under poor band conditions. In less than a day of casual operating I have worked:

Costa Rica
Balearic Island

Not bad for a shortened vertical without radials. Yes, I would rather have a big vertical with 30-60 radials or a 70 foot tower and beam. For the money, ease of installation, I think the GAP Eagle DX vertical is performing well.

The SWR is < 1.5 on all band except 40M but I use a tuner and not concerned.

73's de W1UOY
W7CAR Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2009 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Works Awesome  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my GAP Eagle up quite awhile now, and it never ceases to amaze me. Most recently this past weekend I played around in the ARRL DX Contest. Near 11 hours operating made 118 contacts with 46 countries for a score of 16,284. Not a dissapointment in the little Eagle's performance 10' off the ground. Worked it Transmit & Receive, so no special extra Receive antenna. Of course a Yagi would be better, but the Eagle is a solid performer, and equal to any other Vertical in my opinion!

"73" Dave - W7CAR
K9JWV Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2008 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Working fivers!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm doing this as a follow on to my earlier post on putting it together and tuning.

Since I installed a couple of months back have worked VKs and JAs on 40 meters as well as FO, VKs, ZLs on 17 and JAs and numerous South American countries on 20 meters - all QRP!

I'm happy with my Gap. I'd read where it does shine on certain bands (e.g., 15, 17 and 20 meters) so I'm really anxious for 15 and 17 to kick in as it's doing great on 17 and we're really still at the bottom of the sun spot cycle.
PG00023016 Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2008 13:42 Send this review to a friend
My "Old Faithful"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Eagle for a few Field Days. Since then I have had it in my yard. It is a tough antenna. I have moved it to six different places over the years. only problem I've had was forgetting the fine print "limit power to 200 watts on 40 meters"!! I melted the coax where the ferrite beads were. I cut the coax off at that point and put the PL259 back on. Once again working as new. Don't run high power through it on 40m. Good quiet antenna ok for DX too.
K9JWV Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2008 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Easy install and testing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took about 3 hours of my time to assemble the antenna; I didn't rush it, read the instruction manual over several times before I even attempted any part of the actual assembly (I highly recommend you look the manual over several times).

I placed my ICOM 703 and inline SWR meter about 10 feet from the erected antenna and found that doesn't work well; e.g., VSWR on 15 meters was > 3:1. Called Chris at GAP and found out I need to be some distance away. Added 100 feet of RG-8X and tested it from the shack - VSWR for all bands as advertised!

Have been on the air with the antenna and ICOM 703 for several days. Difficult to compare this antenna to my home brew antennas as the bands are so crummy but.....getting good signal reports with the crummy band condx AND heard my first European station EVER on 20 meters. Prior to the Gap Eagle, I had a home brew vertical and never heard an Eu on 20 (QTH is southern Utah).

Good support from Chris at the GAP office.