Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP EAGLE Help

Reviews Summary for GAP EAGLE
GAP EAGLE Reviews: 59 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: 40 through 10m vertical
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP EAGLE.

W7CAR Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2009 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Works Awesome  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my GAP Eagle up quite awhile now, and it never ceases to amaze me. Most recently this past weekend I played around in the ARRL DX Contest. Near 11 hours operating made 118 contacts with 46 countries for a score of 16,284. Not a dissapointment in the little Eagle's performance 10' off the ground. Worked it Transmit & Receive, so no special extra Receive antenna. Of course a Yagi would be better, but the Eagle is a solid performer, and equal to any other Vertical in my opinion!

"73" Dave - W7CAR

K9JWV Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2008 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Working fivers!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm doing this as a follow on to my earlier post on putting it together and tuning.

Since I installed a couple of months back have worked VKs and JAs on 40 meters as well as FO, VKs, ZLs on 17 and JAs and numerous South American countries on 20 meters - all QRP!

I'm happy with my Gap. I'd read where it does shine on certain bands (e.g., 15, 17 and 20 meters) so I'm really anxious for 15 and 17 to kick in as it's doing great on 17 and we're really still at the bottom of the sun spot cycle.

PG00023016 Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2008 13:42 Send this review to a friend
My "Old Faithful"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Eagle for a few Field Days. Since then I have had it in my yard. It is a tough antenna. I have moved it to six different places over the years. only problem I've had was forgetting the fine print "limit power to 200 watts on 40 meters"!! I melted the coax where the ferrite beads were. I cut the coax off at that point and put the PL259 back on. Once again working as new. Don't run high power through it on 40m. Good quiet antenna ok for DX too.

K9JWV Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2008 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Easy install and testing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took about 3 hours of my time to assemble the antenna; I didn't rush it, read the instruction manual over several times before I even attempted any part of the actual assembly (I highly recommend you look the manual over several times).

I placed my ICOM 703 and inline SWR meter about 10 feet from the erected antenna and found that doesn't work well; e.g., VSWR on 15 meters was > 3:1. Called Chris at GAP and found out I need to be some distance away. Added 100 feet of RG-8X and tested it from the shack - VSWR for all bands as advertised!

Have been on the air with the antenna and ICOM 703 for several days. Difficult to compare this antenna to my home brew antennas as the bands are so crummy but.....getting good signal reports with the crummy band condx AND heard my first European station EVER on 20 meters. Prior to the Gap Eagle, I had a home brew vertical and never heard an Eu on 20 (QTH is southern Utah).

Good support from Chris at the GAP office.

KB5DRJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2008 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had a problem at first assembling the antenna and could not get the lowest SWR reading anywhere near the ham bands. Turned out that I had installed the inner base section upside down which added about 4 inches to the antenna and I had overlooked the coax loop that must be just right. :) I found the phone support to be excellent. SWR is nearly flat on 20 meters, perfectly flat on 40 meters, under 1.8:1 on 17, 15, 12 and 10. When the weather is nice I sit on the patio with my FT-817ND and get solid signal reports - works even better HRO.

I have the antenna mounted on my covered patio roof so any adjustments are easy with just a short ladder.

The other day we had a windstorm that snapped fence posts and blew down my dipole. The GAP antenna just swayed a bit and withstood the windstorm.

The quality is very good. Antenna uses screws instead of clamps. The base section has an inner and outer tube for double strength.

I highly recommend this antenna. This antenna will work very well if assembled exactly as instructed.

W4YO Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2008 03:58 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for a vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved to Harbor Island, SC, in 2001 and have been using the GAP Eagle since then. Since I am plagued by CC&R regs, I cannot erect a tower, so I bought the Eagle, second hand, to give it a try. With it, I have worked over 300 countries from this QTH. I have never had any problems with this antenna. It's not a beam at 85 feet, which I had at my former QTH, but it has performed in excellent fashion. I'm sure one of the reasons for its performance is that Harbor Island is a 2.5 to 3 sq. mi. island surrounded by salt water and a high water table. Someone else who doesn't have the advantage of a salt-water take-off might not have the same results. I even use the Eagle on 30 meters thru a tuner, and have worked some good ones on that band as well. I would rate it between a 4 and a 5

W7CAR Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2007 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Antenna Performs as Advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I puchased my newly aquired GAP Eagle DX antenna NEW in the box from an advertisement on an Internet classified listing. I had been researching Verticals for a couple of weeks prior to finding this one! Assembly was quite easy for me, as have been a Mechanic all my life! I put the antenna together in just a bit over an hour on my deck. I had no trouble putting it on a 10' mast as is so light weight. After mounting, and hooking up the coax I found the SWR across all bands to be far less than advertised, and showed near zero reflected power on the meters. My first two contacts were on 17 Meters, and worked Chile SA and Grand Cayman Island. Not bad for it's first tries. I enjoyed assembling the antenna, and am having FUN using it!

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2007 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Update: 10 YEARS and still SOLID!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my GAP 'Eagle DX' up for 10 years now, mounted on a concrete sunk mast against the side of the house. It has survived windstorms, snowstorms, icestorms, and other typical weather scenarios, and it works as well as the day I put it up! I haven't touched or adjusted it in any way all these years, and it continues to work great on all bands, with low SWR. Talk about 'low maintenance' and well-made products! The key to making this antenna work well is to properly assemble and install it, making sure you follow the owner's manual diagrams and dimensions 'to a T'. An antenna analyzer helps as well, and at the very minimum, take the time to adjust the length of the aluminum tuning stubs, and experiment with coax position and # of turns coming out the bottom of the antenna. I HIGHLY recommend this great antenna as a 'smaller footprint' HF multiband solution to getting on the air!

WN7YJJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2007 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I retired to a small Central Florida house/lot in early 2003 from 5 acres in NW Indiana, I found myself (a) extremely limited in space for antennas and (b) in a thunderstorm and hurricane-prone area where the ability to get an antenna up or down fairly quickly was more than just desirable. I purchased a GAP Eagle DX and mounted it on a 15 foot telescoping mast shackled to the house such that pulling the pin to telescope the mast to 10 feet, removing the three radials and the two U-bolts holding the mast to the shackles, allows me to lay the antenna and mast combination on the ground, without removing the antenna from the mast, in about 10 minutes. It goes back up in about the same amount of time. As for performance, I discovered very quickly that SWR on 20 is about as good as it gets, but on the higher bands it left a lot to be desired. When I added an Ameritron AL-811H to the mix, it became a problem. Enter an MFJ-962 Versa Tuner II and happiness in an SWR of 1.0:1 on all frequencies, all bands. I've worked around the world with the Eagle DX, including the St. Peter Island Antarctic DXpedition, China Japan and Fiji! When nature and real estate limit you to a multiband vertical antenna, you can do a whole lot worse than a GAP Eagle DX.

KQ6IG Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2007 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my Gap NOS. It had been sitting in the box for 14 years when I received it. Assembly was straight forward except for a few important details that were left out. For example, the instruction manual, and photos show one piece of coax extending from the top of the center section. There are actually two. The extra piece is meant to sit inside of the top section. Come on guys, why leave that out??!! I had to call Gap to get an explaination.

I mounted the antenna on my 3 story roof about 45 feet up, and far from surrounding objects. SWR is excellent (<1.5) on 20-10 meters.

40m is another story. SWR is 1:1 at 7mc. Then increases rapidly with frequency to 2:1 at 7.165. I suspect that the coax is electrically extending the antenna on 40. The ferrite beads, and coax choke they give you is really not sufficient. Once I'm over that hurdle, the antenna will be as close to perfect as one could want.

My first two contacts on 20m after assembling it were La Paz, Mexico, and Chile! So, far, I'm a happy camper.

Omar