Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-101 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-101
Yaesu FT-101 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$559.00
Description: Yaesu FT-101
More info: http://www.qsl.net/nw2m/ft101.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101.

N8TI Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2013 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Fun Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a nice solid ham radio. I think that the receive is pretty hot. I use a old Radio Shack DSP unit to give the receive a little more selectivity, but only really need it when the bands are crowded.

The radio is easy to learn how to operate and tune up. Using it reminds a person how you can have fun with a relatively simple piece of equipment. I use mine on CW and have no problem getting 125 watts out of her, but keep it down to about 100 or less. If you want a nice rig to fool around with on the bands, this is it. Have had mine for about 20 years.

KK4IBG Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2012 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is truly a great Radio , I own three of them and have a lot of fun using them , very user friendly as long as you take the time to learn the radio , modular design which makes working on them a fairly easy . It does not have all the bells and whistles of a rice box but it will out perform many of them both in tx and Rx . Well that's my two cents worth .
If your considering a 101 make sure it wasn't cb-ized, you can't go wrong.
Bob

KD8MHU Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2012 08:01 Send this review to a friend
The last of the grass root of radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Christmas of 1977, my uncle fired up his FT-101. That winter I could feel the warm air from the 6js6c's, I could here people from other countrys, see the impressive glow in the night. Little would I know he had planted the ham seed. In 2008 I becam a ham. I now own 5 ft-101e series. These radios represent the last of the true amature fundamentals. Anything else is a cell phone. 73.

KA1BWO Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2010 17:51 Send this review to a friend
ExceptionalTransceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was debating over the past few years about purchasing a Yeasu FT101. I stumbled on a FT101EE at a ham fest last spring. I was surprised and amazed at what i found after I gave the rig a good looking over. It was very high quality both mechanically and electrically. There was a lot of thought put into this transciever design. It's modular for ease of maintanance and built to last!! The front panel controls are simplistic for easy
operation. The rear apron has a DC/AC converter for the versatility of operation using 14vdc. Also on the rear apron there is a multitude of inputs/outputs which even include provisions for monitoring received and transmitted signals as well as output from the 12BY7 driver stage. The tuning dial is very accurate with cabrations at 25Khz and 100Khz. Receiver has excellent sensitivity and selectivity with a low noise floor. Transmitter outputs over 100 watt PEP on all bands. I have got good unsolicited reports on both SSB and especially AM. The rig sound as good as a high fidelity plate modulated transmitter on AM with only a few modifications to the audio and modulator circuit board. The FT101 is a great value for the money

Joe
Ka1bwo

PD2MGY Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2010 08:43 Send this review to a friend
real radio,s glow in the dark  Time owned: more than 12 months
i own a sommerkamp ft-277 for allmost 6 years now
the ft-277 is a 100% yaesu ft-101 in and outside
i used mine for 4 years as a recever becouse i did not ave a ham licence and as a recever it works great
i got my ham licence now for 2 years and as a trancever i like it even better
it is not as i call it a lasymans rig you need to work withe the dails a lot to make it work but i like it that way
now i,m working with allmost the complete lineup of accesories
i,m running it with a kenwood at-200 manual tuner and a g-5rv antenna
i work allmost all the time with the 277 or its evil twin the sommerkamp ts-288a
so if you see one yaesu or sommerkamp try it
you will not regret it
73 pd2mgy

G6UWK Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2009 14:42 Send this review to a friend
excellent after all these years  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has been my only HF transceiver until I recently bought a FT 450, it had sat in the loft for over 10 years before I fired her up and give her a few minutes to warm up, heat the valves and away she went, Once tuning has been mastered the FT 101E delivers excellent power and a mellow audio.

What can I say.... I will be keeping her, she may be heavy, she may not have DSP or other refinements but she works and keeps on working, not just as a back up rig, for history and just for the fun of using her.

K1HPD Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2007 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for its time and then some  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought an FT101 3 weeks ago at a hamfest for $100.00 dollars. (late model serial number is 36558 (last 5). I have a FT101B and figured a parts radio could not hurt. The seller told me that he was selling for an older ham and that he had used the radio up til very recently to work 40 meters. The whole thing was caked with dirt and grime inside and out. It looked as if it had been in one spot since new and never cleaned. As I have a love for older radios ham and shortwave I had to clean it up and test it out before condemming it to the parts bin. Two cans of canned air a liberal amount of tuner cleaner windex and papertowels I was suprised at the condition of the radio appearance wise. It was not mint but nor was it beat up. It show less then average wear for its age (maybe the dirt protected it Hi Hi). I put it on a variac and slowly powered it up. Long story short other then a good cleaning the radio needed nothing.
Recieve is as good as my B model and much better then my 857d. Tubes are good and power out is where it should be. Says a lot for the radio. This is no light weight (30 plus pounds giving creedence to the term boat anchor) but it has taken the place of my B for now as the B goes out for some much needed repair. (It works on a 12 volt power supply but the internal supply is toast blowing fuses in spectacular fashion). My original thought had been to rob the power supply and tubes from this one and part out the rest, but that won't happen not as fine as this one works. Yes it lacks some of the mordern features and yes it weighs a ton but the recieve is very sensitive and has a mellow sound and the transmit is on par with my 857D plus it will keep my feet warm this winter.

NW2M Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2006 14:31 Send this review to a friend
A timeless classis!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the radio that started it all! Several models followed this classic. Excellent details on the Yaesu FT-101 Web Page: http://www.qsl.net/nw2m/ft101.html

DG7JX Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2006 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Great RX !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own this boat anchor for 2 weeks now, and I am really impressed, especially the RX is very good in terms of a real low noise floor.

In an A/B test against my YAESU FT-857D, the FT-101 clearly outperforms the modern day rig on 80m and 20m. Especially on 80m (LSB) I was able to read a very weak station, which I couldn't read on the FT-857D! Unbelievable!

On 40m I had some problems with strong broadcast stations, but by tuning the PRESELECTOR very precisely the receive improves. But in the end the FT-857D delivered the better performance on 40m.

So, I bought it on ebay for 151 Euros and surely it is worth it! Off course, the FT-101 lacks speech-processor, notch-filter, DSP, and working split frequency is nearly impossible - but the great RX with the beautiful rich audio is a real pleasure!