Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Force 12 C3SS Help

Reviews Summary for Force 12 C3SS
Force 12 C3SS Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1229
Description: 6 Element Tribander on 12' Boom
More info: http://force12inc.com

You can write your own review of the Force 12 C3SS.

W0EWM Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2009 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the C3SS for about 4 years. I have it on a 9' Glen Martin roof tower on a 2 story house in the Mid-West. I needed an antenna with a smaller turning radius - due to trees. The antenna has performed flawlessly. I haven't been on the roof since the antenna was put up. The SWR is very low on 10M, 15M and 20M. The performance on 17M is OK and it is very good on 12M - with a tuner. I have compared its performance with other antennas in the area and it always does very well. I focus on working DX and the C3SS just doesn't let me down. I know there are better antennas and having it at 100 ft - in the clear - would improve performance, but I always work the ones others in this area work - maybe a little later. I would not hesitate to by another Force 12 antenna - even with the new manufacturer.

AF3Y Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2009 16:13 Send this review to a friend
NO COMPLAINTS HERE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little antenna has been up on my tower at around 45 feet for 2 years or so now. I am 100% satisfied! Even in the crappy conditions we have, I have 252 DXCC worked and 249 confirmed. Sure, I have a THP amp to give it a little help, but you have to HEAR THEM FIRST! This thing has great ears, in my opinion. ZERO complaints here. I was not happy with the WARC bands on this antenna, but it is not made for the WARC bands. I now have other antennas for them, as well as for the low bands. All in all, if you need a small antenna that kicks A$$ on 10, 15, and 20 you cannot go wrong. Some say support was less than perfect. I never needed support! NO PROBLEMS here!

W6AAV Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2007 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna since 2002. I had installed in two seperate locations. One is Southern California and the other (currently) Fredericksburg, VA.

The antenna came packed and labeled with ease of assembly in mind. All the parts with extras were included. When I moved to VA, the process was simple to disassemble and reassemble.

The antenna is mounted on a 33 foot US Tower and sits 4 foot above the top of the tower. I have had not one issure which required me to conduct any maintenance or repair since I owned it. It holds up very well in the snow and ice here in VA as well.

Performance is outstanding! I hear them, I work them! My last pile up I broke was to T30XX. With 600 watts I got through on the second call. What else can I say! This antenna is small and powerful. I have thought of looking at other antennas whether from Force 12 or other manufactures, but at the performamnce numbers and for the size, I can't find a better antenna.

Force 12 antennas are a product I will recommend to anyone, especially the C3SS. Quality is supurb compared to others I have seen. I am able to tune 6m, 12m, 17m, as well as 10m, 15, and 20m with just using the internal tuner of the radio and yes, I have made many contact on all the bands I have listed.

If you are thinking about this antenna, think no more. Just do it!

VE6XL Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2006 01:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Compact Yagi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a compact yagi suitable for where I live. I have only started using the antenna and I am very pleased with the performance.

Pros:
-Improvement over a dipole (4dBd +/-)
-Includes everything except pop riveter
-Very well designed
-Uses linear loading (no coils or traps)
-SWR at 30ft is excellent on all bands
-SWR can be easily tweaked using linear load on 20m or elements on 10m and 15m

Cons:
-Manual needs some improvement
-One hole needed to be redrilled (minor)
-Attaching the B-1/S Balun can be challenging as it is a bit short and can short out the PL-259 against the 15m driver. (easy to insulate and fix)
-Difficult to get a response from Force 12 by email (The staff is great over the phone)

I will supply another review after I have had the antenna a while longer. Pictures of the installation can be seen at: www.ve6xl.ca

KZ1Z Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2006 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is worth the wait. I live in an antenna restricted neighborhood. I did manage to get a waiver for a small tower, 30 feet, as the neighborhood was new and the HOA hadn't been formed yet. Lucky me, the developer approved the waiver and included it in my contract. I don't want any surprises down the road. This antenna has a thin silhouette. The SWR is excellent on 10-15-20. With the rig's antenna tuner the C3ss easily lets you run the 12 and 17 meter bands. While it will tune on 6 meters easily, and will work, it is not the most efficient. The manufacturer never claims it would, so consider this feature a bonus. When assembling the antenna, follow the instructions. Don't make guesses, you'll guess wrong every time. The overall quality is excellent. Here in hurricane country it will get tested. The first day on the air worked all over the world, despite the poor band conditions we have been experiencing. I was amazed breaking pile-ups I never would have done before. I sure could have used this antenna for the VU4 DXpedition. I would recommend this antenna without reservation.

IW0HEX Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2006 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Very well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use C3SS since 2005 September. I had a QSO with over 230 DXCC and antenna works great !!! No SWR problem, no traps so it can handle many watts !!! It's very easy to assemble and very light weight. If you are no great space, it's ideal antenna !!! 2 elements for 10,15 and 20 meters but very great satisfaction.
73s Pasquale IW0HEX

G0YLM Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2005 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had it up on the mast for a week. Went together very easily although the instructions are not brilliant. Certainly as good as my old Hygain TH3 with the added bonus of being a lot lighter. Excellent performance on 10/15/20. Will work on the warc bands, but really if you want to dx on these bands then you are better with a dedicated ariel.
Look forward to really giving it a workout over these next few months!
Linda

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2005 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Force-12 did a wonderful job with the delivery of this antenna. It arrived when they said it would - within 2 weeks time, and every hole was drilled perfectly and filed nicely. It went together exactly as documented - and their documentation was well written and the print quality was excellent.

I had been using a 20M K1WA array, a Moxon and a 2 element 20M monoband - short boom yagi (as documented in the ARRL Antenna Handbook). It definately has a better F/B ratio and side rejection than the short boom yagi, but the gain is about the same.

I especially like the fact that Force-12 uses proven designs that I can read about on CEBIK.COM or in the Arrl Antenna handbook. They also really know how to engineer their antennas for strength, weight distribution, and of course, NO TRAPS.

Fantastic!

KC3WX Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2004 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
232 countries in just under 2 years across the bands. Antenna mounted at 35 feet on self support Rohn HBX-32 with Ham IV rotor. My C3SS loads perfectly on 20-15-10 without tuner. With tuner, 12 & 17 but not great performance. Excellent quality overall. Take your time and read the instructions carefully before building the antenna. Remember, measure twice, rivet once.

My C3SS does not like any antenna near it as the VSWR gets flaky from interaction. Also, ice storms make you wait for warmer weather as the ice does throw off the VSWR. This is my reason for the 4 rating.

Had a Hygain TH6 for many years at almost twice the height and I don't miss the performace at the lower height with the C3SS. If you're tight on space, this is the antenna to go for. Nice job Force 12....Steve

N6PSE Rating: 3/5 May 16, 2004 23:59 Send this review to a friend
C3SS is not a 5 band antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Force 12 claims on their website that this is a five band antenna "As a bonus, the C-3SS also has gain on 17 and 12 meters (use your rig's tuner to match it) for full 5 band coverage".

I found that this antenna does not resonate anywhere on 12/17 meters with swr below 3:1.
I asked Tom Schiller (Force 12 President) about this claim, he said that the antenna resonates on 17 meters with some gain off the back of the beam. He suggested that I add 9ft of coax to my feed length. No improvement. This antenna is worthless on 12/17 meters. I replaced a perfectly good KLM KT-34A with this antenna with the intent to get some performance on 17 meters with a small turning radius. It does not meet the purpose that Force 12 said it would. It is a very good antenna on 10, 15 and 20 meters. No complaints there! If Force 12 marketed this antenna as a tribander, I would give it a "5", but since they make claims that it cannot fulfill, it gets a "3".

It is easy to put together, fit & finish is fine. Pictures in the manual are very poor.

I recommend this antenna as a tri-bander on 10, 15 and 20 meters but it is useless on 12/17 meters.

Paul/N6PSE