Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-101B Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-101B
Yaesu FT-101B Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$579.00
Description: HF Transceiver 160 - 10 meter
More info: http://www.qsl.net/nw2m/ft101.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101B.

G0UCH Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2014 05:04 Send this review to a friend
My first proper HF Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to confess mine was the Sommerkamp FT277B- the rebadged version of the FT101B intended for sale in Europe.

I bought mine from a former ship's radio officer turned IT Engineer in Hemsby on the coast of Norfolk.

I tried it out before buying it and enjoyed a CW contact with a Dutch station. He did not have a microphone for it, but quickly soldered one up and we managed an SSB contact with another Dutchman.

I parted with my cash and brought it home.
Prior to this, since passing my CW Test in 1993 I had been using transverters to get onto HF.
It was wonderful to be using a proper (albeit Non WARC)HF radio.
My first morning on 40 Metres secured several British stations on CW. The rig was fitted with a CW filter which made life easier.
I worked all over Europe on it as well as East Coast USA. All mainly on CW although I did have some SSB contacts as well as joining a local net on Top Band.
The rig had three problems. From time to time it would get "stuck" between transmit and receive. This would go away after ten minutes.
The cooling fan would also seize up from time to time. This was cured by unscrewing the housing and oiling the fan .
Finally, 40 Metres was very noisy at night. By that I mean there was a lot of interference from broadcast stations all over the band. I've not had a rig since that suffered in the same way.
Tuning the valves didn't bother me, I photocopied the relevant page from the operating manual and kept it in a plastic sleeve in my log.
It was a lovely first rig for HF.

WB4AUW Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2009 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Wish I still had it  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first rig, complete with cw filter to do my novice work in 1975. Had the matching external vfo, speaker, phone patch and desk mic. Why I ever got rid of it, I don't know. After I upgraded I had a Dentron MLA 2500 that this rig really drove well. Made many dx contacts on a tribander Th3. It was a great, dependable rig.

LU1ALF Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2009 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Wondefull transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this transceiver from 1991, when I buy to a old radio ham that buy this equipment in Miami but he never used it.
I had aprox. 25000 qso whith this transceiver and more of 300 countries. Is a wondefull transceiver, never never I had a problem whit it.
Now I use modern equipments, but in sometimes I used again the memorable 101 ZD, and all the times you arrieve first, the signals with the 170 watts are first than with modern transceivers. Reception is excellent. Is a First Class transceiver,obviusly manufactured in 1975, but, a numer one.

VA3VY Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2009 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Should Of Kept It!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first HF Rig. It was VERY forgiving for a new ham, great signal, great modulation. I am still trying to figure out why I sold it.

KE6N Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2008 19:56 Send this review to a friend
I've had mine since 1985  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up this radio when I was a novice back in 1985. It has always been reliable and puts out plenty of power. Someone before me did a mod to the radio and spliced out the receive line with two RCA jacks on the back of the radio. This allows me to either jumper them with a short length of coax or run a receive preamp in line (that came with the radio.) The receive preamp does not have a RF sensing relay, hence the spliced out receive line. Boy, does the radio wake up with the preamp!

I've only replaced the original Toshiba tubes once with a pair of GEs. I'll likely always keep the old 101b for a spare if my other HF radio flakes out.

EX_AA5JG Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2008 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Memories  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig used as a novice in 1981 from Memphis Amateur, and kept it until 1985, after upgrades to General, Advanced, and Extra. I had no plans on replacing it, but a deal for a Kenwood TS130 came along that was too good to pass up.

I worked a lot of DX on this radio, ran quite a few contests, and just had a blast with it. Tuning it up becomes second nature, and it had a very nice receiver on it. I ran it with an Astatic D104 and got good audio reports. I did do a mod once to put it on 30m, but it lowered the power on 20m so I undid it. If you do the mod correctly it will get you on 30m and keep 20 ok, not sure what I did wrong.

These rigs are built like a tank and pretty bulletproof. Would love to get another one some time to use for old times sake!

73s John AA5JG

KG7D Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2008 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Still working 33 years old  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife bought this rig for me new in 1975 from a radio shop in Kennewick Wa. It had been sent to a shop in Arizona and had a 4 digit digital display installed in the analog dial window. I used it to study code, license, used it 2 years as a novice, and untill 1995 as Genral, stored for 10 years in the attic, reactivated in 2004. The old toshiba finals finally died so modified the neutralizing circuit to use RCA or Sylvania tubes. It has never failed to work well, however it drifts a little now untill it gets good and warm, more noticable now because of most hams have solid state PLL freq controlled radios. It is my back up rig, and I use it at least once a month to keep the spiders out of it. Puts out 125 watts pep with very good audio. Overall it is an excellent rig, could be modified for warc by installing the right crystals. An old and dependable rig.

YD1TDL Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2008 06:15 Send this review to a friend
Unbeliveable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found my Yaesu 101B in my garage a month ago. Tested and WOUUU...Still working.Imagine more than 20 Years ..26 to be exact ..Tried to contact with friend 2000 km away on 7mHz great 20db over S9. But of course the frequency up and down... Its Great Radio. any way...it has a 12BY7 and double 6JS6. Its also has a 11 meter(CB) SUPERIOR .My Radio has a Serial NO:4F107951
Thanks YAESU your radio is GIANT

Agus
YD1TDL

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2005 19:53 Send this review to a friend
1973 WAS A GOOD YEAR  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you were a ham in 1973 Two Great radios came out. The Kenwood ts-520 and the Yaesu ft-101b. The 101b being a up-dated version of the 101 from 1972. Both radios set a standard of which others had to follow. The Yaesu had 160 meters and 11 meters plus more watts out over the kenwood.But there was a lot of arguments on the ham bands on which one was the better rig. Joe ke9k