Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-101E Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-101E
Yaesu FT-101E Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$749
Description: HF Transceiver 160 - 10m
More info: http://foxtango.org/foxtango005.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101E.

ZS6DJD Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2013 10:16 Send this review to a friend
a really good radio for the age .  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We recently bought a 101 e just to get a new ham on HF as the radio was cheap and he had just lost his job. Well it was not long and he manged to find a new job so he bought himself a new Yaesu 450.Gues who ended up with the 101 e. Well this radio works much better than what I thought.The Radio has a very very good receive better than some of the new ones. It also has a nice sound on receive from an internal speaker hidden behind the front face very clear and loud if you turn up the volume. The transmit is good you get the usual 100 wats out with a good modulation. Only thing the radio is big and heavy not the best if space is limited then I would go for the 450 it's small and compact and also works quit well.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 15:15 Send this review to a friend
FT-101EE w/Processor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first rig in 1979 was a 101EE, and I sold it to "upgrade" to newer "bells & whistles" radios many times over since, and always had some regrets.

Last year, I was fortunate to find a really nice 101EE that needed minimal refurbishing and a few options added, so now "she" also has the YD-844 Desk Mic, SP101PB Speaker/Patch, F/T 500khz CW filter and YC-601B display/counter. I also picked up a nice FL-2100B to complete the setup.

I so enjoy operating this rig! It is such a joy to have one again and it brings some substance and meaning back to the term Amateur Radio Operator instead of being just an appliance op like so many folks are today.

These old hybrid rigs have an audio quality of their own that is very distinct, always getting many favorable on-air comments. No complaints about the Rx either.

Oh, IF you don't have the knowledge/skills required to work on these radios a bit, I wouldn't recommend you buy one, okay? Me? I'm
no "supertech", but I enjoy working on these and refurbishing, it just takes some time, study & patience, which is part of the enjoyment for me.

I have NO plans to sell this setup for a long time to come......

ENJOY!

G4AWN Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2012 08:42 Send this review to a friend
A must have Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one in the mid eighties, it was the first commercial gear I had used, having been home brew until then. I thought it was absolute rubbish. The receiver was deaf as post and the Tx managed a miserable few watts. I bought it from a dealer and just assumed, wrongly as it turned out, that it was working as well as it could - which wasn't very well, so reverted to home brew.
How very, very wrong I was? Recently aquired a non-working FT101-E for almost nothing. Repaired the blown up finals and driver stages. Result? Brilliant. Not only a remarkably hot receiver, but a transmitter which manages around 125 watts on all bands. OK, it does not have all the bells and whistles of modern kit, but is still a joy to use. Quality of build, sound quality on Rx & Tx - remarkable. Not only that, but if the finals go pop, it is much easier to plug in a new pair of easily sourced 6SJ6s than to replace solid state finals. A keeper if there ever was one.

G6UWK Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2012 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Old work horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using my "old girl" while my FT-450 is at the menders, well just she works. I admit I miss the notch filter, IF shift and DSP oh and 2 VFO's but saying all that. She just sat there in the corner for years turn her on every now and then to keep the capacitors happy and well she just works.

I get good reports from stations I work and when I tell them I am on the 101E I have had several say that it is nice to keep the 101 going and it brings back memories. I used her in the recent CQWW contest yes that is where I missed the modern bits but still had fun and that is what Amateur Radio is about.

If you can get a 101E get one and don't let it sit there for too long before you fire her up.

Enjoy the glow of the valves.

Jon

KV9L Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2011 22:49 Send this review to a friend
I miss mine very much  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was first licensed in 1991 as a novice I got a 101E station for my first station. It happens to be the most regrettable rig I ever let go. One of the finest rigs I have ever owned next to the TS-830 and some Drake Twins.

If you ever get a hold of one of these in good condition just keep it regardless if it doesn't get used much.

KB1TRY Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2010 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great radio, many contacts, tunes up easy, fun and the 100+ watts is awsome. keeper much?. i say indeed.

M0CRU Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2010 12:09 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had an FT101e for years now and i love it!! great audio and very clear recieve quality. its a keeper.

KD4SZJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2010 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Glow in the Dark Radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since becoming a Ham, I have used the Yaesu and Kenwood modern radios.I have a 736,a 847, and a 690.There was one thing missing-- They didn't glow in the dark!! I wanted one that would glow in the dark. I set about building a 101 full station, and now have one except for that Dern Clock!!
I joined Fox Tango, and added the club bought mods which helped big time. I now have better recieve, and great SW coverage on the WWV position. Beefed up some of the innards too, which makes using American tubes easier.
It takes a minute or two of studying the manual to get the tuning sequence down pat,if you are unfamiliar with it in the beginning, but after a couple of tries it all falls in place. That 6JSC6 tube goes bannanas on SSB supplying great audio.The recieve is very acute also--it gives my Kenwood and other Yaseus runs for their money.
The 101's are still pretty plentiful at hamfests and on Ebay, along with station accessories.They also help warm the shack, so this can be a energy saving feature also. I wouldn't take a share in the railroad for mine.

KG6YV Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2010 08:04 Send this review to a friend
MosFet Replacement is worthwhile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would like to add to the comments made by another reviewer that the SK40 replacement is easy and does improve receiver performance for overload and itermod. On my unit I used NTE cross-referenced parts for the SK40's. With the sockets provided for these on the boards, its like replacing a 6AU6 with a 6HS6 in the old Heathkit SB101.... 5 minutes work.

G6UWK Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2010 23:16 Send this review to a friend
excellent after all these years  Time owned: more than 12 months
first off apologies as I posted this in FT101 not FT101E to which it applies but here goes.

This has been my only HF transceiver until I recently bought a FT 450, it had sat in the loft for over 10 years before I fired her up and give her a few minutes to warm up, heat the valves and away she went, Once tuning has been mastered the FT 101E delivers excellent power and a mellow audio.

What can I say.... I will be keeping her, she may be heavy, she may not have DSP or other refinements but she works and keeps on working, not just as a back up rig, for history and just for the fun of using her.