Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-101E Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-101E
Yaesu FT-101E Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$749
Description: HF Transceiver 160 - 10m
More info: http://foxtango.org/foxtango005.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101E.

WA4OTD Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2009 14:41 Send this review to a friend
3sk40 to 3n211  Time owned: more than 12 months
NOTE PART IS 3N211 and not 2N211. My mistake above. I bought the 500Hz CW filter this year, always wanted it(really works nice) and upgraded the MOSFETS from 3SK40 to 3N211's (parts are socketed, really improved intermode/xmod overload performance). Do this, lower noise and less intermod.

DL9LH Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2009 02:28 Send this review to a friend
A reliable workhouse for generations  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 101E (or Soka 277 in EU) performs and delivers. With a mod by foxtango even on WARC. You can regulate output power from qrp to qro levels, enjoy the silence of this hybrid rig thanks to a reasonable stable VFO, sensitivity enough for the power and ease of maintenance. Ok no propper qsk or digital read out but mine has passed the test of time - that make a clear 5 rating - and will go on another 35 years !

WA4OTD Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2009 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My parents bought my FT101EE when I was 15 in 1975. I was on air 10-12 hours a day for years and only work CW. Around 1990 it went in a box only to come out Jan 2009. I bought the 500Hz CW filter this year, always wanted it(really works nice) and upgraded the MOSFETS from 3SK40 to 2N211's (parts are socketed, really improved intermode/xmod overload performance). Do this, lower noise and less intermod. I have never had a problem with the radio, however the mode switch needs to be switched couple times to get a clean contact.

THis is a great rig and after using ICOM756PRO's at Field Day all weekend I came home and actually think the overall performance is better with my Yaesu. This radio is like the Honda of radios, nothing fancy, just works and is reliable. I am looking to buy a ICOM 746 as a back up radio :) I like the auto-tuner.

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2008 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Great old rig!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an FT 101 EE (its the same as the E except no processor) at the local hmafest for $150.00. Thinking the worst (Oh, it probably doesn't work!") I took it home and hooked it to my dummy load, plugged it in to the 120, and stood back and held my breath. It fired up on command with no smoke, bangs or funny noises! The rig puts out a solid 125 watts on all bands, even 160. The only things I had to fix was put in a new bulb in the readout and glue the round shiny metal vfo knob insert back on. The rig even had the plastic on the face which I removed because it was crackled and ripped. The receiver is HOT and sharp as should be expected. Overall, it's a great old rig and will serve me well.
Oh, BTW, AM operation is HOT as expected! The 101 series is known for thier repuation of being one of the best sounding HF rigs on AM!!!

MM0PMW Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2008 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Stands The Test of TIme  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Yeasu FT-101E 6 years ago,slowly over a 2 year period after purchase I did a restoration on the old Yaesu. Replacing the valves, (tubes) was the only internal component requirement,cosmectically it was just in need of a good clean up.Through the Fox-Tango website I found out the date of manufacture, 18Th June 1976.The 101E sits to the left of my Icom 756 Pro III in my shack with a Yaesu FT-101ZD on the right.It can put out over 100W on all bands. The normal procedure is that I let it warm up for an hour before use, then it wont drift so much. It does not look 32 years old, mostly due to the fact that it is very clean and scratch free.I give it some use every other week mostly on 80 Meters.It is worth every penny I paid for it,and I enjoy using it.

KD6HUC Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2008 11:32 Send this review to a friend
So good it has a cult following!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've seen lot's of these at swaps in the past, but they are becoming rare.My first experience with one was about three years ago when a friend inherited his grandpa's rig. It was a mess cosmetically, but needed just a little cleaning and alignment to operate again. I operated it daily for about a week after that on 10-80 and had a blast! When I had to give it back I realized just how much I had enjoyed it and rushed to find one of my own.$225.00 shipped to my door with the original tubes and original manual. Not to mention the new one looked almost new. My only problem is diminished RF(90watts on top end of 75 meters and about 70 on ten)which is probably due to original tubes still in there. Also, sometimes the main T/R relay gets sticky. Beyond that,I only need an AM filter and I will be happy with this jewel of 1970's technology...

KF6IIU Rating: 3/5 May 8, 2007 10:41 Send this review to a friend
The Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a tribute to my old FT-101E. I inherited this rig from my Dad when be became an SK, got my license, and used it to get WAS and DXCC with just a dipole up in the trees. I sold the rig and now use an IC706mkIIG. I just don't have the space to keep it.

The rig is a classic but its achilles heel is the final amplifier, which uses expensive, delicate, and hard to find 6JS6C sweep tubes. If you do find a 101E that can not been modded, abused, or used much (particularly by CBers operating AM), and puts out 100W on all bands, collectors will bid the price up to the point where, for a beginner, an older hybrid rig that uses the cheap and ubiquitous 6146 tube might be a better value.

On the other hand, nothing beats having all those discrete tuned stages. Side by side to the IC706, for example when operating digital in the crowded PSK31 subband, the FT-101E is indifferent to the bonehead who tunes up 10khz away at full power, where the IC706 will desense.

Of course, having all those tuned stages means you have to keep the FT-101E aligned, and treat it well, but if you're an aficionado there's no substitute for this classic. If you are a beginner looking for an inexpensive first radio, you might get a better value elsewhere.

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2007 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Amazing for it's age!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a FT-101E from a ham.It has new Sylvania 6JSC6's, had been aligned and , came with the reciever mod ( Very easy ,plug in transistor mod no soldering) and a beefed up grounded power cord. The rig pushes out 110+ watts on 10 meter and close to 140 on 40 -80 meters. Called Europe and South America and got thru on first calls, I use the Turner Super Sidekick microphone at 55% gain on mike and 6.5 position on right . no compressor used.

Great receive, and a pleasure to use. If you can find one that has been alighned with new tubes buy it. Good audio with a good mike. Be careful of the one's sold on ebay unless sold by a ham.

VA2UT Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2007 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Great boatanchor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a third owner of my FT-101E and it will be my first rig i really love it with FT-101E you got POWER of tube ;-)

I use my FT-757gxII for contest but when a propagation goes down i switch on my FT-101E with D-104 plug on it.

You want knock on DX door ? Use FT-101E ;-)

The power of tube rig = YAESU FT-101E

G0NIG Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2006 05:53 Send this review to a friend
I'll be taking this one with me when I shed my mortal coil.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my FT-101E since the mid-late 80's. It was my first HF set and I will never, ever, part with it. Mine is not the greatest looking example, the case is marked and scratched, but it's performance more than makes up for this. The only maintenance I've had to carry out in the 20 or so years I've owned it has been to periodically clean the relays and band switches, and to replace the 12BY7A driver valve. The rx'ed audio on both SSB and CW ( I have the CW filter fitted) is an absolute joy and the tx'd audio always solicits very nice comments.

If you find one in good condition, don't hesitate, if you find one that doesn't work... still buy it as they are very easy to resurect from the dead and a great education to boot.

Regards