Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Saratoga Amateur Radio Products EZ-PSK Help

Reviews Summary for Saratoga Amateur Radio Products EZ-PSK
Saratoga Amateur Radio Products EZ-PSK Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $45.95
Description: The EZ-PSK Interface offers true plug and operate installation. No hassle setting jumpers, simply plug in between your rig and PC sound card and start operating using your favorite PSK-31 or other digital mode software.

Key Features

- No jumpers - Plug and Go
- Versions for all popular rigs
- Audio isolated in both directions
- No external power required
- Weighs less than 7 oz
- Works with all popular digital mode software
- Includes a CD with HamScope and Digipan SW
- Made in USA
- 30-day no-questions return offer
- One-year warranty

(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Saratoga Amateur Radio Products EZ-PSK.

KG6WLS Rating: 2/5 Dec 17, 2007 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Too Bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this unit for two years running, and then one day...zilch, zip, nada. Pulled it apart to look for anything obvious. Just surface mount components and jacks. Not worth the time to mess with after two years. $35 is not a big loss. Saved the cables for a homebrew project and the little black box went in the trash. Maybe this is why HRO does not stock/sell these anymore??

Got the RIGblaster unit and no problems after 6 months. We shall see...

KF6KDA Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2007 08:31 Send this review to a friend
WORKS OK, DOES THE JOB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my EZ-PSK from eBAY about a 2 years ago. Used it for packet on 2m and PSK/CW on 6m. Did its job FB for those bands. Now I've upgraded and using it on the HF bands w/ a random wire. Had major RFI via the sound cables, enough to shut down the PC when TX'ing with only 5 watts. Bought some RF chokes, put 4 of them on the cables, and now RFI isn't an issue. I dont know to fault Saratoga or my random wire. The tuner is 20 feet outside the shack and the ground wire is less than 4 feet long to a 4 foot ground rod. So I'm fairly certain, it has a decent RF ground.
For 35 bucks and some patience, it's served me well up to this point. Have worked FK8, PR7, UR5, ZL3, XE2, TG9, HR9 and KL7 using just a wire and 25 watts. In less than a week!
Gotta love PSK!

N7HAE Rating: 2/5 Jul 16, 2005 15:52 Send this review to a friend
A lot left to guess about  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the EZ-PSK 706/3. I'll have to give them credit, Saratoga is good with the warrantee and offers of support. But it just seems to be one problem after another. First unit didn't seem to work. Could have been my fault but the plug jacks were labeled backwards for one thing. The second unit plugged in and worked OK with my home computer. I have used it several times very successfully but when I unplug the audio cables from the computer it causes my PC to shut down. I don't like that as it seems to have created some voltage potential between the radio and the PC. My screen blinks and down goes the computer! I decided since everything works like it's supposed to, however, I will cure the shutdown problem and use the Laptop. So I set everything the same, use the same software, plugged everything in the same but no audio out on transmit with the Laptop! Sheeesh Same complaint as other reviewer, zilch for documentation and I suspect I'm the one testing the product. Probably something to do with a different sound card. But my Laptop sound (ThinkPad with Win 98) works fine just not with the EZ-PSK 706/3 unit (so far at least). I wished I would have spent a little more money and got a better tested and documented product.

N5EIL Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2005 18:22 Send this review to a friend
simple  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one for the IC-706 and it was very simple to hook up, and nearly impossible to screw up. Everything has a label, and runs smoothly. I use it for nearly every digital mode out there.

N5EIL, Neil

N0XAS Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2005 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Works OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the EZ-PSK 817 to go with my F-817. The good:

Sound card interfaces in general are not rocket science. I'm amazed and amused by people who spend big bucks on high end interfaces; it seems a little silly. I normally would not actually spend money on one, but did in this case just to save the hassle of building one into a box small enough to suit me for use with my little portable rig. In that respect I'll give the EZ-PSK 817 good marks; it's nice and small.

Once connected, it works perfectly, as you would expect from a product whose most complex part is an optoisolator. There's not much to go wrong here, folks. We're not exactly breaking new ground. It does work exactly as designed. It looks rugged enough, though I'd suggest a couple of ZIP-ties or someting similar on the cables inside the box to provide some strain relief.

The only real issue I have is that the advertising says it's "designed specifically for the Yaesu FT-817", but it's really not. It's designed for all Yaesu rigs using modular mic plugs. If you want it to work with your Ft-817 in digital mode without having to unplug the mic & phones when you switch to PSK or RTTY, you'll need to reverse engineer the wiring and install a 6 pin mini-DIN connector. Of course your local Radio Shack won't have it, so you'll get to order one. I only bought it to save time & hassle, and ended up spending time replacing the modular & phone plugs with a DIN anyway. On the bright side, I did take the opportunity to eliminate a couple feet of excess cable in the process.

I agree with the other poster, the documentation could use some expanding. Little things, like "Don't select digital PSK-31 mode, select USB instead" would be helpful. Took me a while to determine that the interface wasn't really stone dead despite the lack of xmit audio. A map of the internal connections would have also been nice to have, just to save a few minutes when replacing the connector with the right one.

I think if you're going to say it's specifically designed for rig X, it should be set up with the right connector for rig X to use that rig's features. To Saratoga's credit, Mitch offered to install the DIN connector for me. Considering it would have cost me more to mail the unit to him than the connector cost me, I declined. Now that I have it done, I can leave my laptop connected and switch modes between SSB and digital modes, instead of having to swap cables.

VA7ACA Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2005 10:06 Send this review to a friend
It works but with the FT-817....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my EZ-PSK for use with a FT-817. The unit ships with a MIC RJ45 plug that injects the PSK signal in USB mode and overall has worked well. But, You will have to re-wire it for the 6 pin MINI-DIN and use the rigs built in data port if you want the FT-817 in Digital mode and use the 500hz filter at the same time! In short, it was a major pain in the ass and not worth the time to re-wire it for the FT-817 6 pin mini-din. I also noticed when I took it apart poorly grounded audio cables with several unsoldered strands capable of making shorts or ground hum. Overall, I am not very satisfied with it for use with my particular rig. Saratoga should offer a FT-817 mini-din version or adapter and I would have fewer complaints.

K9ZYG Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2005 16:17 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PRODUCT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a reliable and easy interface to work digital modes with my computer. I looked at all the +$200 devices on the market, with all the fancy options and decided that I would not be using any of the expensive features. All I wanted to do was MT-63, Amtor-B, slow scan, and psk. Well, this interface did everything I needed and more, plus as soon as I hooked all the connections as directed, and told the software that the PTT was on the com port with RTS, I was up and running.
Hamstop went out of their way to make sure this unit was for MY rig, and I saved my hard earned $$$$
Joe

KB1JGW Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2004 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Terriffic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been interested in trying PSK31 and other digital modes so I bought this unit to try and it works great. Some of the software on the CD is not up to date, but this is due to the rate of change in PSK software developed by hams. I downloaded Digipan 2.0 and it works flawlessly with this interface. The only thing missing is clarity in the scant 1 page of documentation. It would be nice of the manufacturer to indicate which color plug goes in the microphone vs. headphone jacks. My laptop jacks are not color coded so I had to guess. Can't go wrong with this unit and it's a lot easier than buildng an interface.