Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | ZX-Yagi Mini Beam Help

Reviews Summary for ZX-Yagi Mini Beam
ZX-Yagi Mini Beam Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $249.95
Description: Mini yagi for 10, 15 and 20 meters.
More info: http://www.qth.com/mte

You can write your own review of the ZX-Yagi Mini Beam.

IW2DUG Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2014 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Small but powerful  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna 6 months ago and before installation I make a pre tune at 3 mt. to the ground of my garden. After the installation on the top of the roof the center band on each band and SWR moves a little bit, much more on 15mt that on the Others 2 bands. I started QSO activity and I found good satisfaction making Worldwide QSO. Report received is alwayes much higher than I'm giving. I found the F/R ratio almost the same, and F/S ratio acceptable for a Yagi with 2mt boom and 5mt elements lengh. After 1 months use I had problem with center trap of radiator. The alluminium wire of center trap are connected to the inox nuts of line feed only by pressing the wire into the nylon trap core where brass expansion anchor are fitted inside. Probably some humidity does into making oxide. I replaced completelly the center trap wire with copper wire and I place screw to fix wire to the element. The brass anchor and trap copper wire have been soldered for 100% connection. After that the antenna come back to work as the beginning. I make 103 country in 5 months Worldwide. Just for the information, the antenna is placed on 3 mt tower on the top of my house roof at more or less 16mt from the ground.
I have not experience with such compact antenna but considering the results I think it should be used instead of more bigger antenna that I have seen. Mechanically well done (boom have 50mm diameter) but electrically improved just changing the wire fix methods on the traps.

All country that i worked ln 10-15-20mt on ny loobook have be done with this antenna.

Regards

M6JBM Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2012 15:45 Send this review to a friend
top antenna for the money   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THIS ANTENNA IS GREAT I AM IN AN AREA THAT IS A PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE AS LOCAL'S IN MY STREET LIKE TO COMMENT ABOUT MY GOING'S ON AND AS THIS ANTENNA IS SMALL COMPAIRED TO SOME IT WORKS VERY WELL.
THERE IS GOOD GAIN ON 20M AND 15M 10M I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH WATER IN THE TRAPPS CONTACTS IN 75 COUNTRIES AND ALL WITH 50W INPUT AS I AM NOW A 2E0.
THIS ANTEANNA IS NOT A MA5B NOR LOOKS LIKE THE UGLY THING ETHER BUT IS A GREAT COMPROMISE TO ROTARY DIPOLE AND THE FULL SIZE YAGI YOU CAN BUY.
I HAVE MINE UP AT 17M ABOVE GROUND STRAPED ON A ALLOY POLE WITH A G600 ROTATOR ON MY CHIMNEY STACK WORKS GREAT 1.2.1 ON 10M 15M 20M AND UPTO 1.7.1 TOWARDS THE ENDS OF EACH BAND.
WELL WORTH BUYING

G0KOM Rating: 1/5 Oct 28, 2007 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Rubbish  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna fitted all my requirements, small footprint, decent specs, looks good, unfortunately that was the end of it, poor swr on 15 and 20m, have tried everything, is 1:1 on 28.000mhz dead, (at least thats something) what I cannot work out is the directivity, I get stronger signals with this antenna when its pointed everywhere but the intended location, I simply dont know whats going on, mine is the version with the plastic boom plates, Ive grounded the coax outer to the boom and it makes no difference whatsoever, also it seems to go haywire on 20m every so often, the only way I can describe it is like a trap is failing or shorting, I will be talking when all of a sudden the SWR will go haywire, I stripped the antenna and checked everything, stripped the trap, (there were quite a few alliminum bits/shavings inside the traps, I had hoped this would be the cause but it made no difference
Anyway im glad others have had good experience with this, for me it simply does not work, Ive got it up for sale, but Ive probably screwed up any chance of a sale now with my review :-)

Adrian

EA5/G0KOM

OZ1GCT Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2007 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Good so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this antenna for a couple of weeks, and I must say I have struggled with it to get it in resonnance on all three bands. I have had it up and down from the mast a lot of times. The biggest problem has been water. It have rained a lot in same period and the resonnance freq dropped
far far out of the desired bands. I took it down again and emptied for about 25 cl. water. Reassembled the antenna, sealed all the connections, screwholes etc. with self-fusing rubber tape and I hope it will be waterresistant now. It has not rained since I put up again. But I have a directional antenna again and I have already worked a few Dx-stations I never have heard before.
The background-noise is almost nothing compared to my vertical antenna.
I wish to say thank you to M0RNR - Brian for his help and suggestions.
vy 73 de OZ1GCT
Niels
P.S. It must be a good antenna, because yesterday,when I put up in the mast again, a guy in the neighborhood complained over TVI I had made friday and saturday evening. When I stopped laughing- he became quite angry - untill I told him that I havenīt used my radio those days
because of the water in the antenna.

GM0ONX Rating: 3/5 Aug 10, 2005 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Good but MA5B's better  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a ZX2000 second hand quite cheaply as it needed a little work done on it. Wimo provided the required parts quite cheaply and it was the main HF antenna here for about 9 months. Performance was about 2 S points up on my inverted L but f/b gain was a little disappointing. I replaced it with Cushcraft MA5B which too be honest is a much better aerial.

If youíve got a choice go for the MA5B but the ZX2000 is still a fair second choice and earns its keep.

Len GM0ONX

M0RNR Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2005 01:36 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I knew when I entered the market for a mini beam that I was accepting a compromise on all bands in terms of bandwidth and performance. However, this little antenna has exceeded all my expectations.

Iíve had my fingers burned before with multiband antennas, and have always had problems with tuning, poor bandwidth and lack lustre performance, and to be honest approached this project with some trepidation. That said, the choice was, a mini beam, or no directional antenna at all, my XYLís beautiful new house didnít really lend itself to a full size yagi so a mini beam it was.

I chose the ZX 2000 over the MA5B for a number of reasons, but the main one was looks. No disrespect to Cushcraft but is an ugly antenna and when you are trying to woo the XYL and your neighbours, the MA5B is not the antenna thatís going to do it. Iíve used ZX monobanders before and find their construction very robust so thought the ZX 2000 should be no differentÖÖ..I wasnít disappointed.

Construction is excellent, a 50mm boom with very robust elements and traps, nicely made and they provide extra nuts, washers, screws and end plugsÖ..all the sorts of things you drop and loose in the grass when you are building and antenna !

I live in a 3 storey house so the antenna was going up 11m, an 8.2m access tower was hired to do the job so I had to ensure that the thing worked by the Sunday or my tower was going back to the hire company! The antenna went together in about 90 minutes and the instructions are easy to follow. It was assembled as per the instructions and I grounded the coax braid side of the driven element to the boom as per the instructions.

With the antenna in place in about 5 hours, and the tower only 3 m below it we tried the antenna for the first time. Worried about the tuning, given my past experiences, and the affect all that aluminium might have, I keyed up on 20m. You canít imagine my delight to see an SWR of 1:1.5! The 1.5 SWR bandwidth on 20m is about 120khz but is less than 2.0 across the entire SSB portion of the band and with the auto tuner obviously across the whole band. 15M and 10M are even better with an acceptable SWR across the whole of the SSB portion if each band and no further adjustments were required.

Performance is good, at least 2 S points up on my ground mounted vertical and it has good directivity. Front to Back is not fantastic but hey, Iíve got directivity again! First contacts into Brazil on 15m with 100w first call! And many stations in the USA on 20m again first call.

Sales Support from WiMO Antennas in Germany (the Supplier) is second to none, a very friendly team more than willing to help out. If you are looking for a good price, nice performing, well made antenna then for me, look no further than www.wimo.com

EC2AHB Rating: 3/5 Aug 21, 2003 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice size, nice result  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When one of use decides to buy a minibeam is always to improve the signals of our dipole or vertical.
(and have not enough place/possibilities to put a normal sized beam).

My first impression when I saw the mounting scheme is that the shape was quite strange (2x5 meters. The elements seem to be too near one to each other (only 89cms of separation betwen them).

The antenna mounting is very easy with all elements/traps funnily coloured. And the antenna seems to be strong, the boom is a 50 size tube.

Once the antenna is built it is like a toy (size and colour).

My antena is in the roof of a 7 floors building on a 8 meters tower.

The antenna gains 2 S-meter signals to my V-inverted dipole and has a nice directionability.

The only problem I see is its too narrow bandwith. I found a 1.5:1 swr point in all the 3 bands but moving about 10 kHz up/down the swr increases but not more than 3:1 in the rest of frecuencies. So my automatic tuner can easily tune.

I am happy with my new toy.

DU1UTD Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2001 05:27 Send this review to a friend
works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a miniHF antenna and I was choosing between an MA5B and the ZX. turned out that a cousin was coming home to the Phil. so I opted for the ZX inspite of the review.my apprehensions turned to appreciation when I work it and had immediate good reports to the US, Finland and Russia also Alaska
the construction was simple including its design and i am amaze that it works great even at about the height of 60 ft. working with 100 watts max.
only question were swr readings that were a little high than advertised. well my antenna tuner is busted but i can do without it for the moment....

W0FMS Rating: 2/5 Aug 28, 2000 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Not quite there yet...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna seems a little lightweight, but otherwise well designed.

It does have some gain- it is about 2 S-units up from my ground mounted vertical-- mounted
on the roof of a two story house. Directivity is good, and I can even null out power line
noise (which I'm having big problems with currently) somewhat with the antenna.

Unfortunately, I'm having the same problems with SWR as N0FGK had. It has a dip way low
in the CW portions of the bands on 20/15 of no lower than 1.5:1 SWR much more narrowband
than is advertised. Otherwise the rest of the band on 15 and 20 is showing 3:1. On ten it
is 3:1 - 4:1.

I've seen three versions of the manual for the Mini-2000 and older Mini-1020 and some say to
short the ground side of the driven element to the boom, and some say not to.. I didn't-- I will
have to try the other way (up on the roof again) and see what happens.

The good thing is that the XYL really likes the looks of the antenna, and except for the SWR,
the performance is what I expected, so I would really like to try to get the thing to work right.

Also I found out today that MTE isn't going to carry it anymore, meaning that there is no US
dealer anymore. I figure that I'll probably end up getting screwed if anything ever breaks
or I need warranty work done.. Plus I imagine for US hams, the Cushcraft Mini-Beam would
be easier to get. BUT the XYL didn't like the way it looked.

I've had the antenna since May, but I didn't have the time to put it up until now.

I'll update this if I can/can't get the antenna to work properly.

Fred W0FMS

N1VEK Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2000 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Met and Exceeded My Expectations  Time owned: unknown months
I knew when I entered the mini beam market that a compact beam on a short boom does not compare to a full size monobander. I was pleasantly surprised with this antennas gain and directivity characteristics. Also, the construction quality is good and easy to assemble. I have yet to get it mounted permanently but plan to tackle this in the spring.