Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond NR770HNMOB Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond NR770HNMOB
Reviews: 32 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $59.99
Description: 2M/70CM Open Coil Dual Band Mobile Antenna
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/index.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond NR770HNMOB.

KC2YPG Rating: 0/5 Mar 12, 2014 14:56 Send this review to a friend
won't fit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this antenna on the recommendation of a friend and eagerly awaited it's arrival. Lo and behold it arrived today from HRO in GA and I got to work right away getting it onto my car. I took my old VHF only antenna off of my NMO mount and TRIED to screw the new antenna in it's place.. it went on maybe half a turn then stopped cold. Thinking I cross threaded it by mistake I tried again.. and again.. and again.. only to get stopped by less than a full turn. Thinking it may have been an issue with the threads I tried to muscle it on and got it stuck on the mount good after less than another 1/4 turn. So getting the pliers out and doing a nasty scratching up of the brand new chrome I got it off. I examined the threads on the mount and the antenna but can't see any obvious issue, even after my fiasco, so I called up HRO and asked if there was another type of NMO mount in existence and they said that there was only ONE NMO and they should be interchangeable. They seem to feel this antenna was manufactured incorrectly and will be sending me another right away and taking this one back. I'm not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience, but please let me know.

KD8TZC Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2013 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This simple little antenna works perfect for me on 2m and 70cm. Can't ask for anything more. I love the fact that you do not need to tune it or anything. I have very low SWR right out of the packaging and have great range with this little beauty.

W4KVW Rating: 1/5 Jul 28, 2012 09:12 Send this review to a friend
POOR Quality! {:>(  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review of this antenna.I rated it a 3 in the first review but since then have had a 2nd FAILURE.The metal tab in the base of the antenna has since broken off making the antenna USELESS.For the money this antenna was built CHEAP & it shows.This will be my LAST Diamond antenna since many others appear to be a much better choice for my dollars.My new WORKMAN UV-325 dual band antenna works MUCH BETTER than the Diamond EVER has & at about $25 LESS.Quality control at Diamond is lacking in a serious way & they are OVER RATED & OVER PRICED!

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this antenna on two of my vehicles. One is mounted on the rear passenger door and the other uses a window mount on the back window. Both work fine for me.

W8MPX Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2012 18:20 Send this review to a friend
bullet antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAD THIS ANTENNA FOR 2 YEARS I USE A TE SYSTEM 200 WATTS AMP WITH NO PROBLEM TX AND RX WORKS VERY GOOD NEVER HAD A PROBLEM THE ANTENNA IS 38 INCHES LOOKS GREAT ON MY CHEVY MONTE CARLO HOPE THIS HELP OK 73' FOR EVERYONE

WB4LCN Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for Motorcycle Mobile!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently mounted my rig (FTM-350AR), my Bluetooth headset (Scala Rider Q2 Pro) and this antenna on my Yamaha Roadliner.

Here in San Diego, there are a bunch of hills and canyons, so getting a signal out is a hard thing sometimes. However, with this antenna, I was able to hit distant repeaters reliably, while on my motorcycle, while traveling among them.

I very much recommend this antenna!

K5CPF Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2011 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Worked out well for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am glad I bought this antenna before I read all the bad reviews. I needed an antenna that didn't require a good ground and this one seemed like the proper match for the Diamond K9000 motorized mount.

It works great and has withstood several instances of me forgetting to lower the antenna before entering parking garages.

After almost a year, I am very happy with this purchase.

W8MPX Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2011 18:05 Send this review to a friend
best antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i had this antenna for 1 year and it work very good i can hit rapeater 50 miles

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2011 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Really can't complain  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these for about 16 years, I guess. 1994, I think it was. It's been on four different vehicles, I suppose half a million miles' use. It still seems to be doing fine. I've found that it performs about like most dual-band mobile antennas, I've used a couple that did better on one band or the other, but this one does generally well on both. My best guess is that it is a better VHF antenna than UHF.
The length is about right for most uses, sure I could get another 1.5 dB on 2M and 2.5 dB on 440, with a great long antenna that I would be banging on overhead objects a lot, but I prefer taking it easy on the antenna and mount by not hitting too many objects. And 1.5 dB isn't a big change, people.
As long as it still works, I won't be replacing it.

W3RXO Rating: 2/5 Jun 27, 2010 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Fair antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am recently disappointed in the performance I am getting from 2 models of Diamond Antenna products, and this is one of them.
I believe Diamond's quality control has gone out the window.
I previously owned an NR770HNMO, and liked it's performance. But, I wanted to change to a UHF mount on one vehicle, for convenience, and when I did, I bought an SG 7900. Read my review of it, under it's section. Since then, I got an NR770HB-UHF, and while it is reliable, the gain on it is lacking, badly, and I am not happy with it's performance, like I was with the first 770 I had.
Recently, I needed a shorter antenna, with the power handling capability of 100-150 watts, on a vehicle with an NMO mount. So, I bought the NR770HBNMO.
WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! Immediately, it attenuated my receive, and showed signs of having high SWR, but I did not have an SWR meter of antenna analyzer handy, and was headed out of town. So, I grabbed an NMO adapter for the 770, with the UHF mount, and used it.
When I returned home, and was able to put an SWR meter AND antenna analyzer on it, BOTH of them showed SWR in excess of 7:1. I shipped it back to AES Las Vegas, and got my money back, as I am already having trouble resolving an issue with Diamond/RF Parts on an SG 7500, and AES has always been great at customer service.
If one is not in need of a high power capability, dual band antenna, I'd recommend you look at other manufacturers, as this antenna, and others from Diamond, seem to be being manufactured under POOR quality control standards. And if you do need a high power rated antenna, you might consider making one, rather than buying a Diamond NR770HBNMO.