Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond NR770HNMOB Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond NR770HNMOB
Diamond NR770HNMOB Reviews: 38 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $59.99
Description: 2M/70CM Open Coil Dual Band Mobile Antenna
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/index.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond NR770HNMOB.

N4HNH Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds My Expectations!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The model number listed here is incorrect. The actual model number, according to DiamondAntenna.net, is NR770HBNMO. I have used this antenna on my Chevy Avalanche for close to 10 years and I must say that it always amazes me how effective it is.

I come from the commercial side of radio and have always favored drilling a hole in the dead center of the roof and installing an NMO mount. I have used the 2 meter Super Gainer in this configuration in the past with other vehicles. The Super Gainer is another great antenna, by the way!

But with my Avalanche I decided that I was going to put a Hamstick HF antenna on the dead center of the roof, using a triple magnet mount. So I needed a different solution for a 2m/70cm antenna. I purchased the Diamond NR770HBNMO because it has its own counterpoise, like installing a dipole vertically on your vehicle. Knowing that the antenna would not have the luxury of being mounted on the roof I thought this design should be perfect. I mounted it to the top of the door of my truck, using the trunk/lip mount. It has exceeded my expectations for nearly 10 years.

KF5BFC Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2016 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Good bargain  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this antenna for over 6 years and it has always performed as expected. I do not leave it on all the time, but only use it when I know I need range. I would estimate that this antenna is used approximately 15 days per year on a dual band Yaesu that does 50W max. I have not had any issues with it at all, and the range always impresses me. SWR is 1:1 (needle doesn't move) on 2M at 146.520. I think it is a great value for the price, but I don't seem to use it as often as many reviewers, so take that for what it is worth.

N4WFK Rating: 3/5 Feb 21, 2016 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Just stopped working  Time owned: more than 12 months
After about 2-3 years of intermittent use, something opened up in the base of the antenna. No connectivity to the top section at all. I gave up and will just order a Larson. On that note, I have Larson antennas from the 90's and to this day, none of them have failed. I know I could probably have bought higher gain antennas but passed. Never ran more than 50-75 watts though the Larsons (at least on 2m) so I can't speak to how close to the limit they can go but I can attest to how reliable they have been.

N4WFK, John

N7LK Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2015 17:52 Send this review to a friend
SWR Report  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nov 1, 2015

It turned out that I had a chance today to install a clear heat shrink tube over the open coil.

After installation of the heat-shrink tubing, the measured SWR on the 440 band is less than 1.7:1 and the 2 meter band is less than 1.3:1.

Unfortunately, I did NOT check the SWR prior to installing the heat-shrink tubing.

Larry - N7LK

N7LK Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2015 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Works Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nov. 1, 2015 - I bought this Diamond NR770HNMOB for my new 2013 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and it has worked well with my Kenwood TM-V71A.

This base of this antenna is mounted about 6" below the hard-top on the left side of a 35 wide antenna mount which is attached to my spare tire carrier.

The only issue is that the antenna's external coil catches on tree leaves and limbs and has even ripped smaller branches off. Sometimes I have found small branches still stuck in the coil after my trips. The good news is the antenna was never damaged and still works great.

I am going to try applying clear heat-shrink over the coils to keep the branches from being trapped, and see what that does to the SWR.

By the way, I have a Tarheel II with a 56" whip attached to a spring mount installed on the right side of the same spare tire antenna mount, and it has never broken or caught branches.

I will report back on the heat-shrink experiment.
Larry - N7LK

KB9RZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2015 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this antenna with a mag mount on the roof my Toyota van. I've field tested against other mobile antennas and this one is a real performer. Thumbs way up.

KC2YPG Rating: 0/5 Mar 12, 2014 14:56 Send this review to a friend
won't fit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this antenna on the recommendation of a friend and eagerly awaited it's arrival. Lo and behold it arrived today from HRO in GA and I got to work right away getting it onto my car. I took my old VHF only antenna off of my NMO mount and TRIED to screw the new antenna in it's place.. it went on maybe half a turn then stopped cold. Thinking I cross threaded it by mistake I tried again.. and again.. and again.. only to get stopped by less than a full turn. Thinking it may have been an issue with the threads I tried to muscle it on and got it stuck on the mount good after less than another 1/4 turn. So getting the pliers out and doing a nasty scratching up of the brand new chrome I got it off. I examined the threads on the mount and the antenna but can't see any obvious issue, even after my fiasco, so I called up HRO and asked if there was another type of NMO mount in existence and they said that there was only ONE NMO and they should be interchangeable. They seem to feel this antenna was manufactured incorrectly and will be sending me another right away and taking this one back. I'm not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience, but please let me know.

KD8TZC Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2013 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This simple little antenna works perfect for me on 2m and 70cm. Can't ask for anything more. I love the fact that you do not need to tune it or anything. I have very low SWR right out of the packaging and have great range with this little beauty.

W4KVW Rating: 1/5 Jul 28, 2012 09:12 Send this review to a friend
POOR Quality! {:>(  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review of this antenna.I rated it a 3 in the first review but since then have had a 2nd FAILURE.The metal tab in the base of the antenna has since broken off making the antenna USELESS.For the money this antenna was built CHEAP & it shows.This will be my LAST Diamond antenna since many others appear to be a much better choice for my dollars.My new WORKMAN UV-325 dual band antenna works MUCH BETTER than the Diamond EVER has & at about $25 LESS.Quality control at Diamond is lacking in a serious way & they are OVER RATED & OVER PRICED!

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this antenna on two of my vehicles. One is mounted on the rear passenger door and the other uses a window mount on the back window. Both work fine for me.