Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond NR770HNMOB Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond NR770HNMOB
Reviews: 32 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $59.99
Description: 2M/70CM Open Coil Dual Band Mobile Antenna
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/index.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond NR770HNMOB.

KI4RGD Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Super Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I drive a 2-door Jeep Wrangler, soft top. I have two antenna mounts coming off the tailgate. The tailgate is grounded along with multiple points under the vehicle.

I purchased this antenna right after getting my Tech. License to run on my little Hyundai car. It worked great on that vehicle! When I bought my Jeep - I ordered two specialized antenna mounts - one cut for NMO. The other antenna mount holds my HF Tarheel, another tough antenna.

Jeeps are difficult for antennas due to the lack of a good ground plane. This antenna has worked great! Its SWR stays below 2.0 across the whole band. I'm using an FT meter with my FT-857D. It handles the full 50w the 857 will throw at it. I don't understand why this antenna has gotten so many bad reviews. I would most certainly get another when and if this one "gives up the ghost!"

After reading reviews of other antennas I thought I'd try the Larsen NMO. Don't get me wrong, the Larsen antenna is a great antenna, however on a Jeep - it just doesn't work. The SWR on the Larsen antenna stayed at 3.0 across the whole 2m band. It didn't go above 3.0 or below, it just stayed around 3.0. As they say - its a Jeep thing!!!

AE6PN Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2009 00:32 Send this review to a friend
work good without GND  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have NR770HA with male PL-259 connector on antenna side with silver color.

since this ANT is half wave on 144MHz , it work well with not so good GND. such as mag mount, etc.

I hit many trees, over heng, drive through roof, but it still solid and works well.

AE6ZW

AA2T Rating: 0/5 Feb 7, 2009 15:07 Send this review to a friend
on my third one  Time owned: more than 12 months
They only last at about 5-10W level. Pump 50W into them and they die a quick death. I had picked up a couple for two cars and a replacement. Thought the first failure was a fluke, guess not.

W2XAD Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2008 10:46 Send this review to a friend
I have never had any problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first NR770 NMO in 1994 and it is still working. The only thing replaced were the NMO mag mounts.
Bought a second and third antenna. One is permanently connected to a HMO roof mount on my car.
That antenna was purchased in 2000 and still works well. The third one was mounted to the wifes car for 5 years. I now need another car to mount it on.
De W2XAD

N4VBH Rating: 0/5 Mar 7, 2008 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Stay away from this lemon!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Even after reading the problems here, I still opted to go with this antenna for my new Pathfinder. MISTAKE!

After 3 or 4 months of light use (with the matching Diamond luggage rack mount) the SWR on UHF went sky high. The SWR was better on UHF with the antenna removed!

After contacting Diamond, knowing that this antenna is an engineering or manufacturing disaster (just read the other reviews), they wanted me to mail it in to verify that I hadn't damaged it by excessive power, trees, etc. They know this antenna is at fault. Once they received it, they claimed the coil was lost in the mail, which may be true. Since the USPS won't cover the loss, I'm out an antenna altogether.

I understand the loss is not Diamond's fault, but they know that this antenna is prone to failure and should have simply sent me a replacement antenna coil. I felt used to have to pay shipping to send in a coil they know is defective from manufacture or design. I will NEVER purchase another Diamond product EVER. There are much better alternatives in companies and products.

N2EAC Rating: 0/5 Oct 14, 2007 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Garbage - Don't waste your money  Time owned: more than 12 months
The other reviews say it all . . . water gets in over time . . . the loading coil corrodes . . . it shorts out . . . you fry your finals. Sure the antenna looks good and up to and until it shorts, it's great.

Diamond should put the following warning on the antenna package.

"WARNING - DO NOT EXPOSE TO WATER. IF EXPOSED TO WATER, THIS ANTENNA WILL CORRODE, SHORT OUT AND WRECK YOUR TRANSMIT FINALS."

This is the second one that shorted out for me in 4 years for my "Sunday" car that is garage kept and rarely taken out on days that it might rain.

This is not a cheap antenna. For $55.00, I expect more from Diamond. Two strikes here, you're out. No more Diamond products for this ham.

73, Ed, N2EAC

N2CLB Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2007 20:23 Send this review to a friend
WoW  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is as good as thay get for a 1/2 wave 2M vert

N2GYI Rating: 1/5 May 23, 2007 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Intermittent high SWR issue right out of the box. My simple 1/4 wave magmounts easily outperformed this antenna. Don't waste your money.

KT6K Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2006 14:39 Send this review to a friend
serious ground plane problem solved  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a serious ground plane problem on the Harley or the Corvette. A rubber ducky was better than anything else I had tried. When I was in Las Vegas visiting some friends, they jumped in on the conversation and suggested that the Diamond NR770H series worked 'real-good' without a good ground plane.

Now I get compliments on a 'full-quieting' signal both from the Corvette and the Harley, both sorely lacking in the ground-plane department.

I have only found one other person suggest the 'same' thing in the eHam review.

N2LJ Rating: 2/5 Mar 1, 2006 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Short life  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thought it was just my antenna, but then stopped here and saw all the dismal reviews. Same thing. Worked fine, than stopped.

You know it's bad when an HT at 5 watts with a mag mount on the roof gets into a repeater better (from the same location) than a 50 watt mobile with a permanent antenna!
I used the Diamond 400-series mounts to put the antennas on the rear doors of my car:

I've got one each side now.

I had a Diamond M285 on the second mount, cut for 157 Mhz (Marine Band, I'm a USCG Auxiliary Radio Facility), and THAT worked better into repeaters than the buggered 770. Having the two mounts allowed me to eliminate the feedlines as an issue.

Will try the fix recommended below and see if that at least gives me a decent backup antenna. In the meantime, it's back to the 8-year-old Larsen NLA mag mount!

But I won't be recommending this antenna to anyone!

N2LJ