Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman Help

Reviews Summary for W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman
W5GI  Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $53.99 to 172.99
Description: Design by John W5GI. This antenna is a collinear array and resembles a G5RV with lots of gain on 20m. Works on the low bands with a tuner and out performs a G5rv on 40, 80, and 160m. It has 6 lobes broadside, and gain is amazing. If you live in a restricted area and have a way to put up a wire antenna that is 100 ft in total length, and has 6db gain on 20m, this is the antenna for you.

Available from Wireman and K4TR Antenna Mfg & Sales:

You can write your own review of the W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman.

HB9EGO Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2016 09:20 Send this review to a friend
New world  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the W5GI Mystery Antenna from K4TR for almost two years somewhere in the shack waiting to being used! Last week I found the W5GI Antenna in a plastic bag and decided to make a last effort!
My QTH is surrounded by buildings and heavily wooded hills. A headache are the neighborhood and my lovely XYL! My most preferred equipment is the Drake TR7 line.
Till now I worked with OCD and end fed Antennas with various UNUNS and configurations. Contacts with the US or Asia was more than a dream.
With the W5GI I entered in a new world of Ham Radio.
For the first time I made QSO with US and Far East even with moderate propagation.
I would like to point out the good Service, Quality and quick delivery time of K4TR.
KC8RGV Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2015 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Bought The W5GI Mystery Antenna SR 160/6 And What A Awesome Antenna It Is My Lot Is 100/75 Feet And On My ROAM 45 G Tower At 50 Feet At The APEX It Fit Right In With No Problem And Looks Good To For A Wire I Am Having A Lot Of Fun On 160 With It Getting Good Reports On 80/40 Also But I Have The 80/6 Also And Get Good Reports On 80/6 On It As Well. What A Great Set Of Antennas They Are The Best Money I Have Spent For The Space That I Have. Awesome Antennas.
KT4XP Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2015 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Great 80 thru 6 antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this up for one month.I have used this on 80,40,30,20,17,15 and 6.(band condx on 12 and 10 seemed not good) all with good results.Today I worked Market Reef on 17 meter CW,I wont say it was easy with 100W and a wire antenna,but after a few calls and two or three repeats,I got through.17 meters is not that great a match on this antenna(a decent amount of SWR)but my ic-746 pro auto-tuner had no problems on any band.20 meters is the best performer for this antenna,(phase reversing stubs come into play on 20 meters)using the optional matching stub(20m) very low SWR.This antenna replaced a Carolina Windom in the same exact location,and I believe it beats it in performance Hands Down,No line radiation,etc.If your considering one of those antennas I would recommend the W5GI,and the line isolator for 20m from K4TR Joe Dube.Great service and fast shipping.The only mods I did was to replace the silicone sealant with polyurethane sealant and tightly over wrap the wire where it is wrapped at the end insulators with super 33 electrical tape(I get nervous when I cant solder that connection).It is configured as a flat top,the height is about 40 feet.
N7AG Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2015 00:09 Send this review to a friend
WORKS!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Built the Wireman version, initially used 20M tamer.

WORKS well 80m - 10m. Will use twin bleed & tuner in the future. Can't tell about 3db gain on 20m, however a good all-band antenna.
W9OY Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Good!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My previous dipole was a 137ft doublet fed with open wire to a Johnson matchbox. I still have the matchbox but have grown lazy using a MFJ-998 auto tuner. Press a button buz buz buz all tuned! It makes rapid band change super easy. I still wanted the ability to tune anywhere just not at the expense of manual tuning. I bought this antenna from Joe and shot some lines into my pines. The antenna is up about 55ft in the middle and 30 ft on the ends. I coiled some excess coax into a 10" dia ugly balun out near the feed point. I went in and tuned the suckah up and was pleasantly surprised. Nowhere from 3.5 to 54 mhz was the antenna above 3:1 and I could one button the thing virtually flat with the MFJ-998. No RF back in the shack and it handles 1200W FB 80-10. (I don't have a 6M amp).

The antenna from Joe is well built and is very stealthy in the pines. Since I put it up I've worked a couple dozen DX stations in Europe, Africa, and into Asia on 80, 40, and 30, but also a few on 17, 15 and 12. It's quieter than my vertical but my vertical is also very quiet. It was dead easy to set up. Hoist into the trees hook up the coax, work some DX no tuning or pruning needed. I put a native SWR chart from 3.5-54 MHZ on my blog if your interested:

73 W9OY
N4LCD Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2014 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna but needs a couple of minor mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 80-6 meter Mystery Antenna from K4TR.

I've had it for about 22 months.

It's well made.

It's in an inverted V configuration with the apex somewhere around 60 feet and the antenna ends up around 25 to 30 feet.

I gave it a 5 because of it's easy tune-ability and performance.

However here's a couple of minor mods that I recommend:

1. During production, put some heat shrink tubing around the end of the antenna where the wire goes through the insulator and then wraps around itself. If you already have one, smear some polyurethane caulk on the wrapped wire end to keep it from unwrapping.

2. Replace the silicone caulking seals at the ends of the 300 Ohm window line with polyurethane caulking. The well-known problem with silicone is that after a year or so in the weather, it separates from one of the two surfaces. Polyurethane doesn't. I carefully cut out the detached silicone and replaced it with polyurethane. Much stronger and it won't separate from the PVC caps.

Paul Quillen N4LCD

KB9MLE Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2014 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the K4TR mystery antenna for over a year now, and love it. It's up at 50' just under my 5 element beam. Hands down the best multiband wire I've ever used. Tunes easy 80-6m with my Icom 746; when I wear this one out, I will purchase another one immediately. Craftsmanship of this antenna done by K4TR is absolutely fantastic...
NT5Q Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Wire Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up for three years now and it is still my main one. I have it up about 36ft at the apex and in a inverted v with the ends about 15ft above the surface. I have worked all the bands - 80 through 6 meters, with an internal tuner with no problems. I would recommend this for anyone who has the space to put it up.
NZ4Z Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2014 20:17 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!! AMAZING ANTENNA!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the antenna from K4TR, I have the apex at 25 feet, and the ends are 8 to 10 feet off the ground. I can't believe the performance with this antenna. I am working all the DX I can hear, and I hear a ton of it. I am busting pile ups with one call, 4 or 5 calls at the most. The DX station always says I'm strong. Ann this antenna is only 100 feet long(6-80). K4TR is great, fast ship.....I would only buy K4TR's version of this antenna, my friend bought the other and it was not made as well. This will be the best money you spend in the hobby!
NT5Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 13:03 Send this review to a friend
W5GI outperforms other standard dipole designs.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna for three years now and have been very impressed with it's performance. I cannot put up a tower but can "stealth" this one in my back yard (lots of trees) with a 40ft push up mast. I have compared it to G5RV, double bazooka, longwire, and trap dipoles and find the W5GI to be easy to tune and very quiet in comparison to the others. I have used it on the 75,40,20,17,12, and 10 meter bands with great success. I will buy another one if this one wears out.