Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman Help

Reviews Summary for W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman
W5GI  Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $53.99 to 172.99
Description: Design by John W5GI. This antenna is a collinear array and resembles a G5RV with lots of gain on 20m. Works on the low bands with a tuner and out performs a G5rv on 40, 80, and 160m. It has 6 lobes broadside, and gain is amazing. If you live in a restricted area and have a way to put up a wire antenna that is 100 ft in total length, and has 6db gain on 20m, this is the antenna for you.

Available from Wireman and K4TR Antenna Mfg & Sales:

More info: http://www.k4tr.com

You can write your own review of the W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman.

NT5Q Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Wire Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up for three years now and it is still my main one. I have it up about 36ft at the apex and in a inverted v with the ends about 15ft above the surface. I have worked all the bands - 80 through 6 meters, with an internal tuner with no problems. I would recommend this for anyone who has the space to put it up.

NZ4Z Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2014 20:17 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!! AMAZING ANTENNA!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the antenna from K4TR, I have the apex at 25 feet, and the ends are 8 to 10 feet off the ground. I can't believe the performance with this antenna. I am working all the DX I can hear, and I hear a ton of it. I am busting pile ups with one call, 4 or 5 calls at the most. The DX station always says I'm strong. Ann this antenna is only 100 feet long(6-80). K4TR is great, fast ship.....I would only buy K4TR's version of this antenna, my friend bought the other and it was not made as well. This will be the best money you spend in the hobby!

NT5Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 13:03 Send this review to a friend
W5GI outperforms other standard dipole designs.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this antenna for three years now and have been very impressed with it's performance. I cannot put up a tower but can "stealth" this one in my back yard (lots of trees) with a 40ft push up mast. I have compared it to G5RV, double bazooka, longwire, and trap dipoles and find the W5GI to be easy to tune and very quiet in comparison to the others. I have used it on the 75,40,20,17,12, and 10 meter bands with great success. I will buy another one if this one wears out.

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2013 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Superb Antenna  Time owned: months
Been using this antenna now for 3 years straight. All I can say is the thing works and works real well.
I used to have a Carolina Windom 80, G5RV, Open Loop, Closed loop, dipole antennas of various different type. This Mystery Antenna is the best of them all.
I mainly use it on 40 and 75M. It does a FB job.
K4TR builds some nice quality antennas. Highly recommended!

W8BBM Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2012 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Multiband Wire Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found the original article from CQ some 5 years ago on this antenna and decided to build it as the primary antenna to my cottage station and it did not fail to impress. I have built and used many antennas in the past but in short, this antenna perfoms exceptionally well and had decent 2:1 or lower SWR on all bands except 17 and 30 but was still very usable there with a tuner. I have worked tons of DX with it and even some nice 160 meter DX on phone with the leads shorted as suggested. I am located on Lake Huron with very high winds being a regular occurance and the antenna has always stayed together just fine. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it would rival a beam but for $50 dollars in material and ability to work pretty much anything I can hear using only 100 watts, I struggle to find anything that could compete for the money. Build it and enjoy!!!

KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2012 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the W5GI Mystery Antenna (from K4TR) in use for almost two years and am very pleased with its performance.

I have a limited suburban lot with 'no' trees so have put up fiberglass mast sections to create the supports at each end and middle. Middle support is clamped to my chimney giving me all of about 30' over grade.

Antenna tunes without any problem (I use an LDG AT-200Pro with my FT2000D) and I have received many comments about good copy.

It was worn well in the Texas heat for two years 'in the sun'.

It is well built and works well. A very good investment ... AND ... support from K4TR is superb.

Don't hesitate to look into this antenna and install it at your QTH.

Nolan Kienitz
KI5IO
Plano, TX

NT5Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2012 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Dipole for 80-6m  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've have the K4TR 80-6m and have had this up in an inverted V configuration for about 10 months and I have been really happy with it. I get great signal reports and the antenna is pretty quiet overall. Antenna is well made and good quality all around. I would buy it again if I needed to.

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 80/6 from K4TR a couple of months ago. Nice quality and good service. Thanks Joe.

As for results, I can only compare it to my other antennas. On 80 and 40, it does better than either of my delta loops (big one is multi-band about 100' across, small one is 40M only). On 20 it's about on a par with my big delta loop. Above that, the big delta loop or my vertical seem to do better. But if I only had room for one wire antenna, this would be it.

I have it set up as an inverted vee since I don't have 3 support masts and if you install it horizontal, it needs center support.

It's very important to install an rf choke just below the balun where you connect your coax. You can buy one or make one. I used a plastic container with a screw on lid that was about 5" dia and 6" long and wrapped RG8X on it securing with tywraps.
SWR is lower and no more rf coming back to the shack.

This is now my main use antenna on 40/80 M.

N7AG Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 17:12 Send this review to a friend
PLAYS WELL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Affordable, goes together easly, tunes OK on all bands w/internal tuner. (I have 20M 'Tamer'). Not sure abt gain, 80M a bonus. Can'tsee 160M, unless you use it as a short verticle - top loaded - against ground. If yoy have more or less 100 ft, this is a go-to antenna.

VE6CMV Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Very Well Made  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the K4TR W5GI antenna for several months now. I use a 75ohm matching stub on 20m and the SWR is flat across the band. It tunes easy on other bands with the automatic tuner in my FT2000.
The construction of the antenna is very well made, customer service was very fast and efficent, which is a big plus in my world.
I would highly recommended the antenna to all who need a multiband antenna that works well.