Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman Help

Reviews Summary for W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman
W5GI  Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $53.99 to 172.99
Description: Design by John W5GI. This antenna is a collinear array and resembles a G5RV with lots of gain on 20m. Works on the low bands with a tuner and out performs a G5rv on 40, 80, and 160m. It has 6 lobes broadside, and gain is amazing. If you live in a restricted area and have a way to put up a wire antenna that is 100 ft in total length, and has 6db gain on 20m, this is the antenna for you.

Available from Wireman and K4TR Antenna Mfg & Sales:

More info: http://www.k4tr.com

You can write your own review of the W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman.

K0PD Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2011 10:34 Send this review to a friend
The best yet.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently took delivery for a K4TR mystery antenna. And let me tell you that i have tried and used many different dipole type antennas and this one so far has beat them all. I have no problem tuning it with the internal antenna tuner of my icom 738 on all bands including 160.Have to tell you that i'm hearing stations on all the bands that up until the moment i put the antenna up for the most part were dead.I can't explain it but i'm just telling you my results. Also i believe i'm receiving less noise to boot.The contruction of the antenna is very very good and Joe Dube is a very helpfull person to deal with and makes to glowing promises or claims. When i asked him about the claims for the antenna his answer was so far the ones that have bought it have been pleased. So i'll tell you now until some one comes up with a better wire antenna all i'll say is this one absolutely works and that has to be a mystery as it is just coax and wire with either 300 ohm feed line or in some others 450 ohm feed line. It is about the same size as the G5RV but i'll tell you now from my experience it beats a G5RV and on my set up will do what no G5RV will do and that is tune all bands with my radios internal tuner.Yes in case your wondering the same with my yaesu radio also.I'll close this by saying the apex is 31 ft and the ends are 8 ft from the ground.I forgot to mention it replaced a Windom.... 73's...K0pd

WA4JM Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2010 09:51 Send this review to a friend
A Great Product from K4TR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just took delivery of K4TR version of the Mystery Antenna. And I have to say, when compared to the other versions I see on the web, this antenna wins hands-down. As a low power CW enthusiast, I couldn’t wait to get it in the air. Running just 5 watts with my Ten-Tec Argo V and a Palstar AT4K Tuner, I worked a station in Belgium on 15 meters. While listening to the Belgian station transmit, I quickly switched between my 135 foot flat-top and my 4BTV vertical. In all cases, the K4TR version of this antenna was 1 to 2 S-units better in performance. Operating on 75 meters, there was no discernable difference between the flat-top and the Mystery Antenna. But what I really enjoyed was the ability to get a nice match on all bands. I was never able to do this with my flat-top. Thanks for putting together a superior product at a fair price.

NZ4O Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2009 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I purchased a W5GI mystery antenna from K4TR antennas at http://kk4tr.tripod.com/index-10.html. The K4TR version is constructed much better than the version from the Wireman.

The multiband antenna performance is better than my old G5RV and works really good on 20 meters.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA

N2YHN Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 08:25 Send this review to a friend
strong performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i recently got the kit version and put it up in an inverted v config up about 60 feet ,i am able to tune pretty much between 10-80 either with the rigs tuner or an outboard palstar , i run an ft-1000mp and fl-7000 putting out about 500-600 watts , i am able to work anything i hear with mostly 5/9-5/9+ reports with marginal band conditions, i haven' t had the chance to see how it will bust a pileup as of yet (have not heard any good dx -peds lately),cant wait to get till band conditions improve. nevertheless i can not say enough about the performance of this antenna, it kicks butt!

WB0UZW Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2008 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I replaced a G5RV with John's Mystery Antenna. I bought the kit. Took a couple hours to assemble and put up. First thing I noticed is how the noise level dropped a couple db and signals were stronger. Next was how easy it is to tune. I have loaded it on 160 with a Palstar AT-Auto but it's touchy on 160 with this little amount of wire. So it's not for 160 and doesn't claim to be. 80 through 6 are great!
It works great. The G5RV will stay on the shelf. I'm going to build a super loop and compare the two. Should be fun.
Enjoy.

N1FYQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2005 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds my expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My QTH is in a large heavily wooded lot and has few viable antenna options. My last house came with a built-in 60ft Rohn tower and rotator so putting up a beam was a no-brainer. No such option here. I considered a vertical on the roof peak (where my discone lives now) but guying options are limited. After reading the W5GI reviews here and reading the online materials I thought I'd give it a shot. I ordered the kit from Wireman and received it within a few days. Assembly was simple and straight forward with good instructions and photos. I raised the antenna in a grove of 100ft white pines and oak about 100ft from my house. The center is ~35ft high with the ends at ~25ft and with an angle between the legs of about 150deg. Keep in mind the antenna is beneath a rather formidable tree canopy. Despite the currently compromised band conditions and site challenges I've had great results. All the HF bands between 80m and 10m tune with SWR's less than 1.5 (20m & 40m have SWR's of 1.0). Even the lower 2/3 of the 6m band tune with SWR running around 1.4 to 1.6. Despite this humble set-up I've made my way through several pile-ups, gotten great signal reports and have already made DX contacts on most of the bands. (I've had my General for less than a week). The other thing I've noticed is how quiet the antenna is when receiving. I don't know what more I could ask.

W0QU Rating: 2/5 Jun 15, 2005 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I put up a $40 G5RV last summer but wasn't having much luck with DX so I bought the W5GI Mystery Antenna. After getting it up about the same height as the G5RV and running the coax to the ham shack (it was getting dark outside) I rushed to the transceiver with great expectation. Much to my disappointment the $40 G5RV has been consistently better ... when I switch to the Mystery Antenna signals drop considerably, except on 160 where my G5RV doesn't operate.

I must be doing something wrong if everyone else is getting great results.