Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman Help

Reviews Summary for W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman
W5GI  Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $53.99 to 172.99
Description: Design by John W5GI. This antenna is a collinear array and resembles a G5RV with lots of gain on 20m. Works on the low bands with a tuner and out performs a G5rv on 40, 80, and 160m. It has 6 lobes broadside, and gain is amazing. If you live in a restricted area and have a way to put up a wire antenna that is 100 ft in total length, and has 6db gain on 20m, this is the antenna for you.

Available from Wireman and K4TR Antenna Mfg & Sales:

You can write your own review of the W5GI Mystery Antenna - K4TR Antenna Mfg & Wireman.

NA1A Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2013 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Superb Antenna  Time owned: months
Been using this antenna now for 3 years straight. All I can say is the thing works and works real well.
I used to have a Carolina Windom 80, G5RV, Open Loop, Closed loop, dipole antennas of various different type. This Mystery Antenna is the best of them all.
I mainly use it on 40 and 75M. It does a FB job.
K4TR builds some nice quality antennas. Highly recommended!
W8BBM Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2012 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Multiband Wire Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found the original article from CQ some 5 years ago on this antenna and decided to build it as the primary antenna to my cottage station and it did not fail to impress. I have built and used many antennas in the past but in short, this antenna perfoms exceptionally well and had decent 2:1 or lower SWR on all bands except 17 and 30 but was still very usable there with a tuner. I have worked tons of DX with it and even some nice 160 meter DX on phone with the leads shorted as suggested. I am located on Lake Huron with very high winds being a regular occurance and the antenna has always stayed together just fine. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it would rival a beam but for $50 dollars in material and ability to work pretty much anything I can hear using only 100 watts, I struggle to find anything that could compete for the money. Build it and enjoy!!!
KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2012 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the W5GI Mystery Antenna (from K4TR) in use for almost two years and am very pleased with its performance.

I have a limited suburban lot with 'no' trees so have put up fiberglass mast sections to create the supports at each end and middle. Middle support is clamped to my chimney giving me all of about 30' over grade.

Antenna tunes without any problem (I use an LDG AT-200Pro with my FT2000D) and I have received many comments about good copy.

It was worn well in the Texas heat for two years 'in the sun'.

It is well built and works well. A very good investment ... AND ... support from K4TR is superb.

Don't hesitate to look into this antenna and install it at your QTH.

Nolan Kienitz
Plano, TX
NT5Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2012 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Dipole for 80-6m  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've have the K4TR 80-6m and have had this up in an inverted V configuration for about 10 months and I have been really happy with it. I get great signal reports and the antenna is pretty quiet overall. Antenna is well made and good quality all around. I would buy it again if I needed to.
K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 80/6 from K4TR a couple of months ago. Nice quality and good service. Thanks Joe.

As for results, I can only compare it to my other antennas. On 80 and 40, it does better than either of my delta loops (big one is multi-band about 100' across, small one is 40M only). On 20 it's about on a par with my big delta loop. Above that, the big delta loop or my vertical seem to do better. But if I only had room for one wire antenna, this would be it.

I have it set up as an inverted vee since I don't have 3 support masts and if you install it horizontal, it needs center support.

It's very important to install an rf choke just below the balun where you connect your coax. You can buy one or make one. I used a plastic container with a screw on lid that was about 5" dia and 6" long and wrapped RG8X on it securing with tywraps.
SWR is lower and no more rf coming back to the shack.

This is now my main use antenna on 40/80 M.

N7AG Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 17:12 Send this review to a friend
PLAYS WELL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Affordable, goes together easly, tunes OK on all bands w/internal tuner. (I have 20M 'Tamer'). Not sure abt gain, 80M a bonus. Can'tsee 160M, unless you use it as a short verticle - top loaded - against ground. If yoy have more or less 100 ft, this is a go-to antenna.
VE6CMV Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Very Well Made  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the K4TR W5GI antenna for several months now. I use a 75ohm matching stub on 20m and the SWR is flat across the band. It tunes easy on other bands with the automatic tuner in my FT2000.
The construction of the antenna is very well made, customer service was very fast and efficent, which is a big plus in my world.
I would highly recommended the antenna to all who need a multiband antenna that works well.
K0PD Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2011 10:34 Send this review to a friend
The best yet.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently took delivery for a K4TR mystery antenna. And let me tell you that i have tried and used many different dipole type antennas and this one so far has beat them all. I have no problem tuning it with the internal antenna tuner of my icom 738 on all bands including 160.Have to tell you that i'm hearing stations on all the bands that up until the moment i put the antenna up for the most part were dead.I can't explain it but i'm just telling you my results. Also i believe i'm receiving less noise to boot.The contruction of the antenna is very very good and Joe Dube is a very helpfull person to deal with and makes to glowing promises or claims. When i asked him about the claims for the antenna his answer was so far the ones that have bought it have been pleased. So i'll tell you now until some one comes up with a better wire antenna all i'll say is this one absolutely works and that has to be a mystery as it is just coax and wire with either 300 ohm feed line or in some others 450 ohm feed line. It is about the same size as the G5RV but i'll tell you now from my experience it beats a G5RV and on my set up will do what no G5RV will do and that is tune all bands with my radios internal tuner.Yes in case your wondering the same with my yaesu radio also.I'll close this by saying the apex is 31 ft and the ends are 8 ft from the ground.I forgot to mention it replaced a Windom.... 73's...K0pd
WA4JM Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2010 09:51 Send this review to a friend
A Great Product from K4TR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just took delivery of K4TR version of the Mystery Antenna. And I have to say, when compared to the other versions I see on the web, this antenna wins hands-down. As a low power CW enthusiast, I couldn’t wait to get it in the air. Running just 5 watts with my Ten-Tec Argo V and a Palstar AT4K Tuner, I worked a station in Belgium on 15 meters. While listening to the Belgian station transmit, I quickly switched between my 135 foot flat-top and my 4BTV vertical. In all cases, the K4TR version of this antenna was 1 to 2 S-units better in performance. Operating on 75 meters, there was no discernable difference between the flat-top and the Mystery Antenna. But what I really enjoyed was the ability to get a nice match on all bands. I was never able to do this with my flat-top. Thanks for putting together a superior product at a fair price.
NZ4O Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2009 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I purchased a W5GI mystery antenna from K4TR antennas at The K4TR version is constructed much better than the version from the Wireman.

The multiband antenna performance is better than my old G5RV and works really good on 20 meters.

73 & GUD DX,