Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Ten-Tec Powermite 1/2/3 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Powermite 1/2/3
Ten-Tec Powermite 1/2/3 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $49.95-79.95
Description: The FIRST transceivers offered from Ten-Tec during the late 1960's-early 1970's.

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Powermite 1/2/3.

K1EAR Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2016 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Still fun...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought PM 3A, the top of the line (5 watts full break-in) for $72 back in, I think 1977. Has performed perfectly since then. Of course, DC receiver lacks single-signal reception, and xmtr only puts out 2 watts on 20 M (almost 4 on 40M).
Still a blast; later bought a 1330 for 30 M which performs better, but after trying to sell PM 3A at a ham fest, and failing to do so, I'm glad I didn't unload it. P.S. Worked Italy and Russia back in the day, with a dipole...

ON7BAS Rating: 3/5 May 22, 2015 15:05 Send this review to a friend
My $ 1.75 Power Mite  Time owned: more than 12 months
About 10 years before becoming licensed, circa 1982 in San Diego, I stumbled upon a PM 2 or 3 Ten Tech at my local thrift store run by the salvation army.
The price tag was $ 3.50 and the lady told me it was probably some kind of medial equipment.
She also told me that since it was Sunday all items were sold at half price, thus : $ 1.75 :-)
Back home (my very own stained glass shop) I hooked it on 12 V, stretched a wire indoor 20 ' antenna and heard some short wave broadcast in the Feather light high Z headphones + some dits & dahs.
Next I bought a cheap keyer at radio shack and I could hear some transmission on another short wave radio which lacked the BFO.
I showed the rig to some HAM in San Antonio Texas, and he tried to buy it from me, but I held on tight to it.
Later back in Europe I learned the basic of Morse code and then passed the Amateur license test first as ON1LCY then ON4YD, making my childhood dream come true.
I still have it, and it still works, but I don't use it, as DC receivers are not allowed in Belgium.
But I built a GQ 40 QRP from SPRAT magazine and used it a lot along with my TR-4C / RV-4C and I just acquired my dream machine on Ebay : a TR 7 for just under $ 500 (+ $ 195 shipping to Belgium from Iowa) should get here in about 2 weeks.
Can't wait to use it for maritime mobile QSO from Holland aboard BAS (ON7BAS/mm) my old 1968 32 feet sail boat.
I rate the PM at 3 because of heavy QRM from SW broadcast, but it deserves a 5 for biting me and giving me the HAM virus, and being my cheapest rig ever.
And I still won't sell it !!!

72/73 ON7BAS

WB5UDI Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2009 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Great collector item  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Ten Tec PM2A back around 1970 after being licensed as a Novice (WN5CVU) in New Orleans, LA. I have literally had thousands of hours of CW QRP fun with this little rig.

With a simple 40-meter dipole that fit in a shopping bag along with a pair of 6volt lantern batteries, I could take this little rig camping and be up and running in minutes.

It now sits on my desk and I still use it nearly 40 years later. I primarily work 40 meter CW and my guess is that most of the 2 watts output is making it to my G5RV.....although some may be absorbed in the coax.....in any event, it is still a thrill to work folks and tell them I'm QRP and running less than 2 watts.

I never thought this rig would have lasted this long---knowing it was among the first products offered by TenTec. I think I have changed the main power transistor out once during that time.

A real testament to how simple a rig can be and yet still offer countless hours of fun.

Glad I still have this little piece of nostalgia!

Sincerely,
Stan - WB5UDI
Parker, Colorado

KB2HSH Rating: 4/5 Sep 21, 2004 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Basic, primitive, valuable, and fun!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Powermite was the first rig that Ten-Tec offered in the 1968-1971 era...B.A. (before Argonaut). The PM-1 was the fully assembled version of the MR-1...the modular component kit that could be assembled at home. With the direct conversion receiver, very similar to the RX utilized in the HW-7, and the 250-750 mW transmitter capability, the rig was indeed crude and rough around the edges. (In 1998, a telephone conversation with Garland Jenkins from Ten-Tec confirmed that due to design crudeness and circuit "inefficiencies", the TX-1 transmitter board was in the neighborhood of 33% efficient...the rest lost as heat.)

The PM-series rigs were either crystal controlled or VFO-tuned. The PM-1 opearted on 40 and 20...with an option for a 15-meter converter. Later models offered more bands, with higher power.

My PM-1 was a basket-case when it was given to me as a gift in 1991. But, with a bit of TLC, the radio's Spartan charm still shines through. From Buffalo, NY I have worked southern Florida with 250 mW on 40 meters...some New England states, and a few VE2 and VE3 QSOs. Not bad for 1/4 watt to a dipole during the day!

Not the best QRP rig, but for nostalgia...it's pretty good.