Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-873 Grandmaster SWR and Watt meter for VHF/UHF Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-873 Grandmaster SWR and Watt meter for VHF/UHF
MFJ-873 Grandmaster  SWR and Watt meter for VHF/UHF Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $100.00
Description: VHF/UHF Watt meter covering 125mhz to 560mhz. Same as CNG 3000. Made in Taiwan. large lighted 4" meter movement,
scales: 5w, 20, 200w

You can write your own review of the MFJ-873 Grandmaster SWR and Watt meter for VHF/UHF.

W6JHB Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2013 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit - solid build.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm building a small, 80-watt amp for 2 meters to drive with my Elecraft K3. Needed a power meter to test things out, so I bought one of these '873 units from AES. Folks always deride MFJ products as having shabby construction. Not so with this unit. No crummy solder joints, paint done very well, no sharp edges - just nicely made.

I think it reads a tad high, as my K3 is showing 5 watts out but the '873 is showing 8. However, the SWR it shows me is in line with what my AIM-4170 is telling me about my antenna, so go figure....

I would have given the review a 5 had MFJ put an on/off switch for the illuminated meter. I run my station on solar / battery power, so when I'm not on 2 meters and not using the '873, the meter lamp has no business being on. There is no provision to turn it off, short of unplugging it from the 12V power. So, I got out my drill and installed a miniature toggle switch (Mouser part number 506-A101SYZQ04) on the back panel. Luckily the power jack on the back panel is not a board-mountd unit and it was a simple matter of running the red wire from the power jack through the switch and then to the meter.

I considered the Elecraft W2 meter, but that's an awfully expensive SWR/Wattmeter for my simple, occasional 2 meter needs.

Would I buy the '873 again? Probably. I'm not 100% certain of it's accuracy, but for $79 it's good enough for my purposes.

WA7KGX Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2013 03:09 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for $79.95  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up at the Tigard Oregon HRO for $79.95.
HRO sell a number of related meters covering various frequencies and power levels. The Taiwan made 873 covers 125 to 525 MHz with 5, 20, and 200 watt scales.

My antique Bendix MicroMatch meter reads 6 db or so low on 2 meters. The MFJ's readings correspond with the radios' specs. Assuming the MFJ is not reading high, the MFJ has saved me the bother of troubleshooting false low power readings. Worth the price.

KD5YVY Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice meter wide coverage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really have enjoyed this meter, if fits well and looks nice on my desk. The wide range of measurable frequencies (125-525) means not only can I check 2 meter & 70cm , but also my public safety equipment as well all with one meter. I am very pleased with my purchase. Would recommend.