Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-264 1.5Kw dry dummy load Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-264 1.5Kw dry dummy load
MFJ-264 1.5Kw dry dummy load Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $65.00
Description: You get SWR below 1.3 to 650 MHz and 1.1 at 30 MHz. Handles 100 Watts for 10 minutes, 1500 Watts for 10 seconds. It has a strong lightweight aluminum construction. The MFJ-264 Dry Dummy Load measures 3Wx3Hx9D inches and comes with MFJ's famous No Matter What one year limited warranty.

Specifications
IMPEDANCE: 50 OHMS VSWR: Less than 1.3:1 at less than 650 MHz
POWER DISSIPATION: 1500 Watts for less than 10 seconds -- 100 Watts for 10 minutes
VOLTAGE GRADIENT: 10 kV / inch
OPERATING TEMPERATURE: Up to 350'C
FREQUENCY RANGE: 1-650 MHz; usable to 750 MHz

You can write your own review of the MFJ-264 1.5Kw dry dummy load.

K7BAB Rating: 3/5 Feb 8, 2013 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Resistance Off  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The resistance of the dummy load measured 46.6 ohms. Two good DVM's confirmed this (a Beckman and a Fluke 87-V).

I don't know what this would mean in the real world, but I found it disheartening. What is so "high tech" about getting a bunch of resistors to equal 50~52 ohms?

The connector was an amphenol wanna be that needed to be worked in and out several times. The case reminded me of a Jr. High School metal shop project. But, of course, you are not paying "lab-grade" prices either.

Note the deration table carefully before incinerating this dummy load with 1.5 KW.

It is worth the money for casual use. Beats the old 100W light bulbs we used in the "tube" days.

WA2OMU Rating: 2/5 Jan 9, 2012 12:07 Send this review to a friend
garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well enough built, but 57.4 Ohms out of the box (After subtracting the DVM Lead resistance)!

Using a Diamond SX-600 HF, UHF Meter with UHF to BNC adaptors and RG55 double shielded cable to the dummy Loads, a MFJ-264N, with a BNC to N adaptor on that to maintain the best 50 Ohm connections, this unit read ~1.3:1 from 1.8 to 50 MHz, usable, but not a flat 1:1 like my Bird 10 W dummy load.

On 446 MHz the MFJ was >2.5:1, my Bird 10 W dummy load was 1.05:1 (probably the UHF to BNC adapter).

MFJ advertizes this unit as being <1.3:1 at 650 MHz. Not MINE!! Not even Close!

I gave it a 2 ONLY because it is reasonably well made.

I will continue to use my Bird Dummy Load for VHF - UHF and keep the power to <10W.

Who makes a decent DC to 500 MHz 100 W, 50 Ohm dummy load without going to a $$$ MIL-STD-461 certified type?

THIS MFJ is going to the next ham fest, and I WILL NOT ever buy any of their stuff again. (I had a 259B analyzer - it did work, BUT one of the meters was crushed under the lower corner of the front panel hole... Replaced that with an AA-54 - Great!) Did they ever even HEAR about Quality or Quality Control? They CHARGE enough! They dont Deliver.

W3DDF Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2009 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Does a good job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these used on Ebay and it works just fine. Handles my Ameritron 811H without a problem.

EB5AGV Rating: 2/5 Apr 8, 2009 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Lousy quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one of these as a gift some days ago. Of course, it was brand new... Well, there was a loose screw and a knut inside the unit!. Upon further investigation (AKA opening the load) I found that the loose parts were no less than the connection from the SO-239 to the load... imagine if I didn't notice and apply any power to a perfectly open circuit!. Load is otherwise fine and should do the work it was intended to, once I fixed it.

KC6PGA Rating: 4/5 Jun 14, 2008 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Buy the oil filled one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this dummy load for say 15 years and it does work well if you follow the power curve on the side of the case. I recommend an oil filled load that has a more forgiving curve. If you lay on the key you will burn the solder out, burn the resistor out, create funny odors and end up quenching the smoking load in the sink while you order the oil filled one. Unless you need to go to 650MHZ, save your time and money and get a load that you won't outgrow.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2008 20:10 Send this review to a friend
A Nice MFJ Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It really works as advertised! I haven't pushed it beyond the time limits, as it might explode, melt, or do something that would cost me my life or gear. But it works! I'm going with a 5 because most everything I have from MFJ gets sent back to my dealer. Really. I do have an antenna switcher that seems to work. But that's about it.

Hey, just for fun call their technical support and when B O B answers ask him why you can't get any DX stations using it, only local stations. Remember, after their technical support people try to test out their products, blowing fuses or damaging your gear, they will not pay one cent for repairs or shipping costs! Honest! I tried to get their amplifier interface to work and guess who had to pay for the shipping costs on my Icom ProIII back to the Icom repair center? Don't test anything with these people! Shame on you if you do.

KC9GUZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2007 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Great!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does its job and thats what matters!!!!! No loose parts, bad solder connections, or leaks to be found. Replaces an older 1992 era Valor 100 watt dummy load I had with 2 fans mounted to keep it from melting down(Ive had to resolder it quite a few times after I ran 950 watts through it!)which still WORKS!! I'm not much of a MFJ fan so I was hesitant to buy the MFJ load, but I rolled the dice and so far so good!!!! id recoment the 264 to anyone that needs a legal limit dummy load. Oh, BTW it will take mineral oil as well as transformer oil so thats a plus.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2007 10:04 Send this review to a friend
no problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using it for some time I experienced no problems at all with this dummy load. It is reasonably priced compared to some of the very expensive units on the market.

W3UTD Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2006 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Good after fixing it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Once I opened up the case to put back screws that fell out(?) during shipping, I've had no problems with it. Max power I've run into it is 600 watts for maybe 30 seconds. It got warm but not hot.

Would have been a 5 if not for the necessity of fixing it before I used it.

WA2LTD Rating: 3/5 Jan 23, 2006 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Watch out for resistance change  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased my dummy load at a local hamfest. Connected it to my Johnson Valiant and ran it up to 100 Watts. Found the resistor changed value from a nominal 51.2 Ohms to ~ 41 after two minutes!

MFJ is going to send me a new resistor...