Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1010 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1010
ACOM 1010 Reviews: 64 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2340 USD
Description: KW 160 - 10 m PA, 700 W PEP

Jan 2007 Note - Vine Antennas, UK agents for ACOM, have advised that their ACOM 1010 amplifiers now have a fan- noise reduction modification that reduces fan noise considerably whilst maintaing sufficient cooling of the amplifier tube

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1010.

MI0NWA Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2016 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Great amp!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hey all! Hereís my take on this fine amplifier. I've been using this amp for around 6 months now and it's great. 40w from the rig will let me work 400w all day long. I found the LED's were a bit lazy on my model though. I tested this by putting it into overload to get the G1 G2 warning lights to come on and while the amp was only showing 600w via the LED's my power meter was showing 850w out so I knew then the LED's weren't to be trusted. Not a big deal though as itís always good practice to have a meter inline anyway to tune for maximum power.
The added feature on the amp is being able to handle 240w reflected power or as Acom state, about 3.1 SWR, so there is no need for a tuner unless you work with antennas with high SWRís but in my opinion there isnít any point using an inefficient antenna in the first place and an amp should be the last thing you should be using until you get your antenna sorted, or at least use one that's a bit flatter in the SWR department. This will save you having to listen to neighbours complaining when youíre slapping their electronics with loads of Anyway, I use this with an OptiBeam OB9-5 and a 40m Double Bazooka. My SWR on the OptiBeam is between 1.0 and 1.4 on all bands I work and 1.4 and 1.5 with the Bazooka. The rig sees no SWR at all as the amp holds it back, so really an excellent feature.
Lastly the protection, any misuse at all, say trying to tune on 40m when the switch is still on 20m it will detect it and switch into standby for a few seconds giving you time to realise the fault. It will also protect itself if you exceed the 240w reflected power.

Another couple of points. The heating up time is a bit long but I guess its necessary or Acom would have made it faster but I turn it on first and once I'm ready to get settled to work some stations its ready for operation. The second point is when you switch the amp on and it has finish heating up it will automatically switch to operate mode meaning the amp is active, its just worth knowing in case you are transmitting barefoot while youíre waiting on the amp heating up as when it finishes it will automatically push out on high power in operate mode, although it should still protect itself if there's a fault but I donít think it would be good for the amp having to put it through unwanted and unnecessary procedures.

Well, that's all I can say, highly recommend it. It's a great wee workhorse and looks awesome :-)

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2016 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased an used Acom 1010 amplifier and all I can say is Wow! The one I bought was just serviced by Array Solutions as it was a Dxpedition amp that needed some repairs. The amp is great and put out a solid 800W with less than rated input.

The Acom 1010 is a great amp that is very easy to tune and it provides nice protection system. I highly recommend this amplifier. I thought I would miss QSK capabilities from other amps I have owned but I find the relays to be quiet and fine in non QSK CW. Overall a great amp especially at the amazing used price I paid.
MI0MSB Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2016 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Cost  Time owned: months
Nice amp 700 watts out and the only disappointment is that it has went from £1200 to £1600 in Less than a year from mid 2015 to now mid 2016 WHAT A RIP OFF the cost of parts or shipping has not increased 30%
W1BG Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2016 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Cooling Issue Resolved  Time owned: more than 12 months
The cooling issue others have reported can be easily solved my jumpering-out resistor R35A (33 ohms) not R35 (22 ohms) as reported elsewhere. R35A is not shown in the schematic but it physically sits alongside the blue 22 ohm 3-watt R35. The correct resistor to jumper is the 33 ohm R35A (1 watt). This has been written-up on the Acom Yahoo user group forum and full information, including a high-res picture is available there in the files section. The Acom 1010 is a truly great amplifier and beautiful addition to the shack. Love mine!
KA8DSS Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2016 12:51 Send this review to a friend
great amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using the amp for five weeks now. Beautiful fit and finish and tuning is a snap. Pleased to have this in my station.
K2QB Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2015 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Best AMp for the Buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Acom 1010 arrived a on a Wednesday. Replaced a 30 year old Kenwood TL-922A. First thoughts out of the box were WOW! Looks ten times better than any pics I have seen on line. More like a high end piece of stereo equipment with the brushed black finish and hidden LCD's. Tested it briefly that night using my FT2K to my Optibeam OB9-5. Thirty to forty watts of drive produced 700w+ across all bands. Swithed to the R7 vertical and pretty much the same results. Able to switch bands and re-tune the amp within 10 seconds. Very easy and slick tuning method. Also looking at the FT2K SWR meter, it never budged off of zero. The input matching circuit on the Acom is excellent. With the 922 I would sometimes see a slight SWR on the FT2K, 1.2 to 1.6 or so depending on the band. Ran it this past weekend at 400w out for the ARRL SSB SS contest and it performed flawlessly. The one time I forgot to switch the band on the amp when I did change bands, the protection circuits kicked in and shut the amp down before any damage was done. Waited ten seconds for the amp to reset and I was back on the air. In between SSB contacts I managed to work the VK9WA on RTTY and even on the RTTY setting the amp put out 500w. I thought a lot about which amp I wanted to replace the TL-922 with, and even though the 1010 is not legal limit, I couldn't justify the extra expense to go from 700W+ to a KW+. If I can't work it with 700 the extra couple of hundred watts isn't going to make the difference. I also looked at solid state amps, but the qualtiy of this amp and the forgiveness of a tube versus transistors made sense to me. I wouldn't hesitate to make the same decision. Although as others have stated, it may seem a bit pricey for a 700W amp, but once you get your hands on this amp you will not regret it one bit.
M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2015 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amplifer...Cooling issue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Acom 1010 is a very nice medium power amplifier and nice design,It will easily put out 700 watts and uses a single 4CX800 ceramic tube which are still cheap to replace,My only issue is the cooling and Acom use a 22-ohm, 3-watt resistor (schematic symbol R-35) in series with the Acom 1010's fan lead which gives a 3.8v drop across R-35 to slow the snail blower down and reduce the noise (Bad move)At a cost of substantial increase in heat from the ceramic tetrode.I removed R-35 and replaced it with a jumper lead for a substantial increase in the blower speed,Now the discharge air temperature is down and the tube cools down much faster and runs much cooler.I agree with WB9FOP Blower noise was not really bad to start with before Acom used a 22 ohm 3 watt resistor.I know alot of people complained about blower noise on there Acom 1010,s but a nice quiet tetrode amp shifting very little air up through the tube comes at a price! Lots of heat and insufficient cooling.

jim M0HDX
ON5JPJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2015 01:48 Send this review to a friend
new owner of ACOM 1010  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Owned this amp in august 2015. Made the choice for acom because of the inside and outside aspect, but also afterreading some products reviews. After testing it at low power (round 200W) and increasing it slowly with the using time, i was ipresssed of the quality of the modulation and the result during the JOTI JOTA (scouts on the air) With 50 W Power 800W out Fantastic stuff
KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2015 10:19 Send this review to a friend
# 4 # $ 4 $ Sweet...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used her on all bands
tuning is a snap.
drive with 25 to 35 watts 700 to 800 out.

gotta say, sweet...
W6GF Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2015 04:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Mid-Power AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Maybe a little pricey, but very well constructed. It is the easiest tube amp I have ever used. Tuning is a snap. ACOM says 10 seconds, but if you use the dial presets, it can be done quicker.

Box to on the air was quick. Good manual...well written.

It costs twice as much as an Ameritron AL-811H, puts out no more power, but the extra cost can be justified with all the protection, ease of tuning and quality of construction

George, W6GF