Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1010 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1010
ACOM 1010 Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2340 USD
Description: KW 160 - 10 m PA, 700 W PEP

Jan 2007 Note - Vine Antennas, UK agents for ACOM, have advised that their ACOM 1010 amplifiers now have a fan- noise reduction modification that reduces fan noise considerably whilst maintaing sufficient cooling of the amplifier tube

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1010.

K2QB Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2015 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Best AMp for the Buck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Acom 1010 arrived a on a Wednesday. Replaced a 30 year old Kenwood TL-922A. First thoughts out of the box were WOW! Looks ten times better than any pics I have seen on line. More like a high end piece of stereo equipment with the brushed black finish and hidden LCD's. Tested it briefly that night using my FT2K to my Optibeam OB9-5. Thirty to forty watts of drive produced 700w+ across all bands. Swithed to the R7 vertical and pretty much the same results. Able to switch bands and re-tune the amp within 10 seconds. Very easy and slick tuning method. Also looking at the FT2K SWR meter, it never budged off of zero. The input matching circuit on the Acom is excellent. With the 922 I would sometimes see a slight SWR on the FT2K, 1.2 to 1.6 or so depending on the band. Ran it this past weekend at 400w out for the ARRL SSB SS contest and it performed flawlessly. The one time I forgot to switch the band on the amp when I did change bands, the protection circuits kicked in and shut the amp down before any damage was done. Waited ten seconds for the amp to reset and I was back on the air. In between SSB contacts I managed to work the VK9WA on RTTY and even on the RTTY setting the amp put out 500w. I thought a lot about which amp I wanted to replace the TL-922 with, and even though the 1010 is not legal limit, I couldn't justify the extra expense to go from 700W+ to a KW+. If I can't work it with 700 the extra couple of hundred watts isn't going to make the difference. I also looked at solid state amps, but the qualtiy of this amp and the forgiveness of a tube versus transistors made sense to me. I wouldn't hesitate to make the same decision. Although as others have stated, it may seem a bit pricey for a 700W amp, but once you get your hands on this amp you will not regret it one bit.
M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2015 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amplifer...Cooling issue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Acom 1010 is a very nice medium power amplifier and nice design,It will easily put out 700 watts and uses a single 4CX800 ceramic tube which are still cheap to replace,My only issue is the cooling and Acom use a 22-ohm, 3-watt resistor (schematic symbol R-35) in series with the Acom 1010's fan lead which gives a 3.8v drop across R-35 to slow the snail blower down and reduce the noise (Bad move)At a cost of substantial increase in heat from the ceramic tetrode.I removed R-35 and replaced it with a jumper lead for a substantial increase in the blower speed,Now the discharge air temperature is down and the tube cools down much faster and runs much cooler.I agree with WB9FOP Blower noise was not really bad to start with before Acom used a 22 ohm 3 watt resistor.I know alot of people complained about blower noise on there Acom 1010,s but a nice quiet tetrode amp shifting very little air up through the tube comes at a price! Lots of heat and insufficient cooling.

jim M0HDX
ON5JPJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2015 01:48 Send this review to a friend
new owner of ACOM 1010  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Owned this amp in august 2015. Made the choice for acom because of the inside and outside aspect, but also afterreading some products reviews. After testing it at low power (round 200W) and increasing it slowly with the using time, i was ipresssed of the quality of the modulation and the result during the JOTI JOTA (scouts on the air) With 50 W Power 800W out Fantastic stuff
KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2015 10:19 Send this review to a friend
# 4 # $ 4 $ Sweet...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used her on all bands
tuning is a snap.
drive with 25 to 35 watts 700 to 800 out.

gotta say, sweet...
W6GF Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2015 04:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Mid-Power AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Maybe a little pricey, but very well constructed. It is the easiest tube amp I have ever used. Tuning is a snap. ACOM says 10 seconds, but if you use the dial presets, it can be done quicker.

Box to on the air was quick. Good manual...well written.

It costs twice as much as an Ameritron AL-811H, puts out no more power, but the extra cost can be justified with all the protection, ease of tuning and quality of construction

George, W6GF
WA3SEE Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2015 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered from Array Solutions, they confirmed line voltage and fuses correct before shipping to me. Tuning and operation with the peak reading LED Power/SWR display is a snap! Nice to have choice of two antenna outputs. Quality construction, quiet, and excellent on-air reports.
WD1W Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2015 17:24 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After two weeks ... WOW! What a fun piece of equipment to use. If you're running it on 120V (as I am), have them set the line voltage at the dealer (they'll put in the proper fuses, too). I didn't ... but, to an inexperienced solderer (or the faint of heart), the potential to permanently damage a circuit board is there. I would have thought the line voltage changing method would have been screw terminals ... not desoldering / soldering fixed jumpers. I'd suggest that Acom work on changing that system on future units. That said, 700 watts ... great signal reports ... easy to tune ... doesn't weigh a ton ... single tube ... great looks ... pretty LEDs ... normal household voltage / current ... what's not to like? This amp is a winner! Not cheap ... but worth the price. I'm expecting years of trouble free service from this amp.
WB9FOP Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2015 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Magnificent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you're in the market for a top quality 700-watt linear amplifier, you can stop looking. The Acom 1010, in my opinion, is the epitome of amplifiers in this power range. Perhaps a little expensive at $2.85 a watt, but the quality is stellar.

In response to Acom Marketing's request to lower the level of fan noise (which really wasn't bad to start with) Acom engineers (reluctantly, I hope) added a 33 ohm 1-watt resistor (R-35A) in series with the low side of the fan lead. This quieted the fan by slowing it down, but at the expense (risk) of causing the amplifier to run substantially hotter than I personally think is good practice (my opinion). If you share that opinion, you can vote with your soldering iron and place a jumper around R-35A. Your tube will thank you.

KZ6O Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier, very pleased, easy to use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first amp and I have been running it for about three months now and couldn't be more pleased. While I was a little concerned about the LED display, it works quite well. It is easy to see both forward and reflected power at a glance. If I mess up, the fault LEDs let me know right away and I can correct the problem before I break something. I have a Hustler vertical and the wide tuning range of the amplifier works well with the antenna. I don't need a separate antenna tuner. Once I established the initial tuning settings, it is easy to change bands. I just set things to my previous settings and I'm good to go. Although more expensive than some other amps in this power range, I'm not sorry I spent the extra money.
ON6CJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2014 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 43 years of HAM Radio I finally bought a linear amplifier HF. I purchased the ACOM 1010 from GB Antennes & Towers because he was in stock. It arrived triple-boxed, well packed, and the carrier did not destroy it. Very nice amplifier. ACOM has done a great job on the design. I like the ease of tuning up with the tri indicator. The cooler ventilator noise is low. The operation is extremely simple and it works like a charm. This is my first review. I have been using the 1010 for 1 week now. I am pleased with the ACOM 1010 and Id recommend it.