Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1010 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1010
ACOM 1010 Reviews: 64 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2340 USD
Description: KW 160 - 10 m PA, 700 W PEP

Jan 2007 Note - Vine Antennas, UK agents for ACOM, have advised that their ACOM 1010 amplifiers now have a fan- noise reduction modification that reduces fan noise considerably whilst maintaing sufficient cooling of the amplifier tube

More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1010.

WA3SEE Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2015 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered from Array Solutions, they confirmed line voltage and fuses correct before shipping to me. Tuning and operation with the peak reading LED Power/SWR display is a snap! Nice to have choice of two antenna outputs. Quality construction, quiet, and excellent on-air reports.

WD1W Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2015 17:24 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After two weeks ... WOW! What a fun piece of equipment to use. If you're running it on 120V (as I am), have them set the line voltage at the dealer (they'll put in the proper fuses, too). I didn't ... but, to an inexperienced solderer (or the faint of heart), the potential to permanently damage a circuit board is there. I would have thought the line voltage changing method would have been screw terminals ... not desoldering / soldering fixed jumpers. I'd suggest that Acom work on changing that system on future units. That said, 700 watts ... great signal reports ... easy to tune ... doesn't weigh a ton ... single tube ... great looks ... pretty LEDs ... normal household voltage / current ... what's not to like? This amp is a winner! Not cheap ... but worth the price. I'm expecting years of trouble free service from this amp.

W1BG Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2015 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Magnificent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you're in the market for a top quality 700-watt linear amplifier, you can stop looking. The Acom 1010, in my opinion, is the epitome of amplifiers in this power range. Perhaps a little expensive at $2.85 a watt, but the quality is stellar.

In response to Acom Marketing's request to lower the level of fan noise (which really wasn't bad to start with) Acom engineers (reluctantly, I hope) added a 33 ohm 1-watt resistor (R-35A) in series with the low side of the fan lead. This quieted the fan by slowing it down, but at the expense (risk) of causing the amplifier to run substantially hotter than I personally think is good practice (my opinion). If you share that opinion, you can vote with your soldering iron and place a jumper around R-35A. Your tube will thank you.

KZ6O Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier, very pleased, easy to use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first amp and I have been running it for about three months now and couldn't be more pleased. While I was a little concerned about the LED display, it works quite well. It is easy to see both forward and reflected power at a glance. If I mess up, the fault LEDs let me know right away and I can correct the problem before I break something. I have a Hustler vertical and the wide tuning range of the amplifier works well with the antenna. I don't need a separate antenna tuner. Once I established the initial tuning settings, it is easy to change bands. I just set things to my previous settings and I'm good to go. Although more expensive than some other amps in this power range, I'm not sorry I spent the extra money.

ON6CJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2014 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 43 years of HAM Radio I finally bought a linear amplifier HF. I purchased the ACOM 1010 from GB Antennes & Towers because he was in stock. It arrived triple-boxed, well packed, and the carrier did not destroy it. Very nice amplifier. ACOM has done a great job on the design. I like the ease of tuning up with the tri indicator. The cooler ventilator noise is low. The operation is extremely simple and it works like a charm. This is my first review. I have been using the 1010 for 1 week now. I am pleased with the ACOM 1010 and Id recommend it.

KI4DHB Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2014 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Would do it again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This being the first linear amplifier that I have owned, I cannot really compare it to anything else. However I can say that ease of operation and tuning has me saying why did I wait so long. I even ordered a spare "tube" from Ron at Vine communications in England. It easily puts out 800 watts with just 65 input. Gary at HRO in Phoenix is my go to guy for my major equipment purchases and he directed me to an excellent buy. I added a LDG ProII tuner to it and cannot say enough about the combination. I ran a 220 outlet to the shack for power. Not sorry that I did that either. Definitely a "BUY"

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 02:36 Send this review to a friend
Unbeatable value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the second 1010 I've owned. Still the best value for money there is. Beautifully built and so easy to tune. Ron Stone, the dealer, still gives first-class service. Highly recommended.

KF8IO Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent +  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initially, I was looking for a solid state amp.

I was seeking ease of operation, and there were a couple of candidates, the KPA500 being the leader. It's a very nice product, but a little short in the power department. I have a 200W transceiver, and a 500W amp isn't enough Dog Biscuits to really bother with, especially for $2100.

So, for the whole 6dB desired (in my experience the actual signal reports are always a good bit better than the theoretical) the best choice in a 1/2 legal limit amp seemed to be the ACOM 1010. Six meters isn't a band I operate, but they have model that will go there if you want.

The amp arrived promptly from Steve at HRO VA. Well packaged and undamaged. Great service from HRO.

Mild chagrin in that the Bulgarians did not include the stupid 5 x 20 MM fuses necessary to wire the amp for 120 VAC. Those are available from Mouser for 27 cents each, perhaps they could have been included since one nice feature of this amp is the ability to run it off standard 120 VAC and not mess with a 240 VAC line. You do need the correct fuses, everything available locally is of course too big to fit. Arruggh.

Lashed up on temporary 240 VAC line while awaiting my fuses, the amp proved to be everything expected and more.

The product exudes quality, is very easy to tune, it's crazy quiet, it has a very handy A/B antenna switch (think dummy load to tune), it does not grunt or complain, and it does 800W SSB with 45W drive effortlessly.

Signal reports are 10 dB over my 200W rig, which seems to be the real life result of this kind of power increase. The KPA500 may have done just as well, but I'm a happy camper with this one.

I highly recommend. Tubes don't seem to be a huge supply issue at least right now. They made a bazillion of them, and if treated properly (the ACOMs are just about ham proof) the initial tube may outlast the owner.

LB6BG Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2014 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Well made and easy to operate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the opportunity to operate the 1010 during a field day with 230 Volts from a generator. We were using my FT-450 and a doublet with an Ameritron ATR-30 tuner. The tuning was a bit tricky, but easy and safe to perform. After a pre-tuning with about 50 watts from the transceiver (PA in non oper-mode), the SWR and max output had to be adjusted a bit at the tuner and PA LOAD.
I never got an "alarm" from the G1, G2, IP and F LEDs.
I also operated the other field day station, using an Ameritron amplifier, where I had to be much more careful.
But remember: The 6-8 dB gain that you get with the ACOM 1010 are quite expensive (perhaps you need a bigger tuner, too). But if you want to go for it, the 1010 is the best choice.

M0ITI Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2014 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant Undersung Hero  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this amplifier to use in conjunction with my IC-7600. I had set out to buy the ACOM1000 but it turned out that, as I don't work 6 metres, the 1010 would be a better buy.

Setting up the amplifier is a breeze. The only additional item I needed was a lead to go from the ACC port on the IC_7600 to the Key in phono on the amplifier. Easy peasy with a 7pin din plug and RCA phono socket.

The tuning up instructions on the amplifier are perfectly straightforward. In the UK, where we are restricted to 400 watts, the amplifier is delivering that with about 30% drive from the IC-7600.

Instead of trying to work my way through pile-ups I now have DX stations lining up to work me - and this from the very restricted antenna system that I can have at my home QTH.

Ful kudos to Ron Stone at Vine Antennas from whom I bought the unit. His advice and after sales support is second to none.

10 out of 10 all round