Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1010 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1010
ACOM 1010 Reviews: 55 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2340 USD
Description: KW 160 - 10 m PA, 700 W PEP

Jan 2007 Note - Vine Antennas, UK agents for ACOM, have advised that their ACOM 1010 amplifiers now have a fan- noise reduction modification that reduces fan noise considerably whilst maintaing sufficient cooling of the amplifier tube

More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1010.

M0ITI Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2014 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant Undersung Hero  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this amplifier to use in conjunction with my IC-7600. I had set out to buy the ACOM1000 but it turned out that, as I don't work 6 metres, the 1010 would be a better buy.

Setting up the amplifier is a breeze. The only additional item I needed was a lead to go from the ACC port on the IC_7600 to the Key in phono on the amplifier. Easy peasy with a 7pin din plug and RCA phono socket.

The tuning up instructions on the amplifier are perfectly straightforward. In the UK, where we are restricted to 400 watts, the amplifier is delivering that with about 30% drive from the IC-7600.

Instead of trying to work my way through pile-ups I now have DX stations lining up to work me - and this from the very restricted antenna system that I can have at my home QTH.

Ful kudos to Ron Stone at Vine Antennas from whom I bought the unit. His advice and after sales support is second to none.

10 out of 10 all round

K4FY Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2014 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Smooth and solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ACOM 1010 occupies a niche between MFJ/Ameritron amplifiers and the expensive Alpha’s. ACOM built some of the early ETO/Alpha amplifiers and it shows in its construction and quality. In short, the quality is exceptional, the engineering top notch, and the signal reports gratifying. The ACOM 1010 easily puts out 800 watts on SSB/CW. For me, that’s a nice compromise that isn’t going to tax the traps on my 6 band vertical.

Tuning and LED monitoring is light years ahead of old “dip and load” amps. If I note my Load and Tune settings on an index card, tuning during a band change is lightning fast and accurate. 60 Watts drives the amp to rated output and everything is operating conservatively. The 4CX800 ceramic tube, with 800 watts dissipation is running cool. The screen and control grid warning LED’s makes sure operation stays that way.

This thing should last forever.

SA2CER Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2013 02:59 Send this review to a friend
A perfect amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a beutiful made amplifier. A joy to use.
Well built, So that you really can feel it. Like an Mercedes.
Silverplated antenna conectors. Even the ground bolt are goldplated and so also the key-in rca jack.
The tube GU74B is outstanding!
runs cool, just loafing at 700w out with just 60w of drive power.
The amp is quiet, a nice thing to be able to hear week DX from the speaker of the radio, and you dont wake the family at late eavning dxing.
It have good protection so one cant go wrong if a mishappend occure.
It sound really good on therecivers end too.
It is just about 1.6 dB from Acom 1000. That you can easy fix by use a bigger antenna or a better coax. But you do not have 6m on the 1010.
The Acom 1010 is NOT "portable"!! as some say. It is transportable.
This amp can brake any pile-up and let you come trhu with ease in tuff conditions.

ON8ON Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2013 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Woaw ..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I work normaly with Solid State amp.
( RM Italy HLA 300 V plus > 5/5 )
This amp is so easy to tune !
With resonant antenna, and swr from 1.5/1 or less.
This amp. give with +/-55w drive,
a solid 750+ out.
Very quiet fan.
73 ON8ON de YVES

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2012 13:00 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first review after 5 hours of use.
First impression received is that the packaging was professionally done by these guys in Texas (Array solutions) where I purchased it.Amp was all wrapped in thick plastic and inside 3 boxes,I have received for years many new radios and amps and never saw any perfect packaging like this,so needless to say that it arrived in perfect shape and I know for sure that either UPS and Fedex mistreat all packages.
The exitement was too big, as a kid who received a new toy, I guess we all behave like that.When opened all boxes and pulled out the hundred peanuts inside for protection, put it on my desk side by side with my PalStar tuner, turned it up,waited the two and a half seconds and tuned it in all bands from 160 to 10M. My K3 always "saw" a perfect 1.1 match at the amp input circuit, that is a great achievement,not many amp reach that condition. I have 800W PEP in all bands except on 10M that I have 750WPEP, these levels of power are with 80W PEP from my K3, If I increase the input to about 90W the amp will be a little over 900W PEP but then the G1 (control grid) LED will turn yellow indicating is been overdriven so I will operated it with no more than 80W input.One thing I notice is that this amp is very very quite, that blower is so quite that I have to put my ear on top of the cabinet to hear it. I love quite amps so this is one more thing that make it a keeper.I also noticed that the PI circuit is very broad from band to band,for example the tuning marks on mine are exactly the same values on 40 and 20 and also same values on 15 and 10M meaning the coils taps has been selected properly for the tube matching.
I know this amp is a little pricy but today all quality amps are expensive,If we want cheap amps we have to buy low quality amps.I wanted to have something realiable at long term.
Bulgarians designed and built a good amp without a doubt.

Hector
AD4C

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2012 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Abolute gem!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These amps are got to be the best value for money there is. Beautifully built, not too big and heavy. Bought it from Vine. Ron Stone as usual a first-class service.

AGYOUNG Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2011 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp; Excellent Service and Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the intent of buying a THP Solid State HF amp from Array Solutions. After quite a few phone calls from both Jay and Bob, I settled on the Acom 1010. Very nice amp. Very well built and engineered. Operation is extremely simple and it works like a charm. Tuning is a no brainer.

I had some technical questions after buying it, and had nothing but superb service and help from Array Solutions.
Jay stayed on the phone one evening for about two hours trying to figure out a problem that I had caused. We finally got it going after 6:30 pm. Just can't beat their commitment to the hobby.

SV1JRX Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2011 23:33 Send this review to a friend
VALUE AMPLIFIER INVALUABLE DEALER  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the 1010 from Vine UK some 11 months ago. The amplifier easily outputs 700w with 55w drive power, yet I do not need to use more than 400w which is the limit in Greece. After all, this is 6db more output power than my 100w transceiver. The amp always runs cool and has given me many new ones over this period. A problem with a capacitor was quickly solved by Acom in full cooperation with Vine-antennas. Mrs Maya (Acom)and Mr Ron Stone (Vinecom) did their best. Would I buy another Acom? I am looking forward to the new automatic model and I hope the price will be competitive. Where I will buy it from? Vinecom only. Ron's after sales attitude is second to none. To be honest not only the after sales but the pre-sales also. His advice and assistance to his customers is AAA, but I am sure that most of you already know that.

73, Michael SV1JRX

KC3RT Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2011 14:11 Send this review to a friend
My First Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this amp since I operate in a community with HOA/covenant restrictions. I needed a boost in power to make up for the loss in my 'stealth' antennas, but not so much as to be concerned about causing interference. This amp fit the bill perfectly. I am very pleased with its operation, i.e, quiet fan, ease of tuning and warm-up time. Its attractive looks and built-in 220vac power supply are an added bonus.

I have owned this amp for 17 months and it has been a great performer. I initially had a problem with the 'operate' function being stuck in the ON position and would not switch to STAND-BY. This was a minor inconvenience to me and I did not pursue it further. Until I blew a tank circuit capacitor. I returned the unit and Array Solutions performed all repairs under warranty.

One note to add. My order took 10 weeks before the amp was delivered which is out of the ordinary. I was one of the unfortunate few that had their order held up in a London warehouse for several weeks because of the Icelandic Volcano eruption in April 2010.

If I had to do it all over again I would still purchase this amp. If asked what I don't like about it, I would have to say the knobs. Not very attactive for an otherwise beautiful amplifier.

WA4RXC Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2011 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding amp...excellent design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchase an ACOM 1010 amplifier thru Array Solutions recently, the US distributor. First of all both Bob and Jay were a tremendous help in answering my questions before I made the commitment to buy the amp. I order the amp on Saturday and had it on Wednesday via UPS. The amp arrived well boxed but despite that the 4CX800A was dislodged from the socket even though it has a support to hold it in place. I advise Array Solutions that they should ship the tube separately and have the buyer install it. The amp is well designed and extremely ruggedized.; a very impressive ergonomic design. The amp tunes quickly (less than 10 seconds) and is extremely easy to operate. In my opinion, as compared to other amps, the best on the market. ACOM has done an outstanding job on the design. A welcome addition to the shack. BTW…no issues with driving it with a TS 590 as noted on the Array Solutions webpage.
Mike DeZego