Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1722 UltraLite 2m/70cm Mag Mount Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1722 UltraLite 2m/70cm Mag Mount
MFJ-1722 UltraLite 2m/70cm Mag Mount Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $18.95
Description: A very light mag mount, intended mainly for HTs. Power rated to 50w/2m; 25w/70cm.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1722

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1722 UltraLite 2m/70cm Mag Mount.

KB0XR Rating: 3/5 Aug 12, 2014 06:05 Send this review to a friend
flimsy but works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm on my second antenna and I will be changing brands shortly. I like the performance and keeping my mobile rig on low power, I have had no issues. EXCEPT these things seem to have a finite life and basically fall apart after about a year of use. I jammed the magnet base back together and have it mounted INSIDE of my suv until I get a replacement. No more MFJ for me.

KD2CTY Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2013 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Tiny coax easily fits through closed window  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have gotten really good signal reports with this antenna. The cable is small and fits through closed windows. The antenna is small and lightweight. I can install and remove it quickly.

KU6Z Rating: 2/5 Oct 15, 2012 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Falls apart in heat  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought 2 of these for 2 HT's, and they work as long as it stays together. The best part is that they are so small, they are easy to store in the truck. The bad part is that they fall apart quite easily after some use.

In particular, on a hot 100 degree day, I went to pull the antenna down, and lifted up on the base, and the magnet stayed on the truck, while the rest of the antenna came off. The coax is soldered to the magnet, so pulling it off, destroyed the antenna coax connection, and it becomes obvious just how delicate the coax cable is, and I dont trust soldering back on will last very long.

It is better then nothing, and better then using a HT antenna inside the truck, but dont expect it to last very long.

K3KTK Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2012 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Good cheap unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this on top of my truck for 2 years now. It has been knocked over in garages a few times and treated rough. After 1 year the coax pulled out of the magnet but I pushed it back in and applies some glue... done.
I like the tiny coax as it's, well... tiny. Easy to route into my truck without drilling.
The magnet is incredibly strong and my truck has been over 90 mph with it.
The performance is as you'd expect from a little 20 inch whip. Works fine and much better than having the antenna in the vehicle. I have it with a mobile rig and use it at 25 watts no problem. Very happy for the price... it's almost a throw away.

KF7GTU Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2011 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I have read all of the reviews previously posted and I must say that I feel sorry for the folks who have had a poor experience with this antenna. However, in my experience, this antenna has more than proven itself.

First off, let me tell you that I have not owned the antenna for very long. I bought it recently at my local HRO store to replace another mag mount that my local car dealership destroyed in a freak antenna bending, mount destroying accident (yes, it was ONLY the antenna that was damaged). Therefore, I cannot vouch for the long term durability of the antenna. The unit, as a whole, does feel quite sturdy and solid overall and I expect that it will provide satisfactory reliability.

Next, I am proud of my amateur radio affiliation and I enjoy both the recreational and service aspect of the activity. However, that does not necessarily equate to wanting an antenna farm on the family car. Drilling holes, 6 foot whips and the like may work for your beat up old pickup, but for a car that the wife will be driving often, and might get taken for any manner of nice evening out, you might wish for reasonable functionality with low profile appearance. This antenna will provide that for you.

If you need a short length, quality, mag mount dual bander that facilitates sound quality that other amateurs will rave about and without a significant cost investment (less than twenty dollars at my local HRO) while providing no hassle functionality, this is the antenna for you. The darn thing is completely foldable, MFJ suggests that you can keep it in your glove box. I wouldn't try either one too often, but I did bend it significantly multiple times without issue.

It has a rare earth magnet base which, though small at first glance, is plenty big enough considering the aerodynamics of the antenna and base. We live in the wild and wet Pacific Northwest. Let me tell you, I am not concerned about that antenna or mount detaching itself, even with our famous Cape Blanco winds (http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard/2007/08/cape_blanco.html). Also, another reviewer suggested that the antenna will be essentially horizontal at freeway speeds. Well, every vehicle has its own aerodynamics, but our 2007 Ford Focus whipped along that freeway at speed in excess of 90 miles per hour for testing this antenna at high speed. The antenna did not bend more than 45 degrees off of center, and that it did only beginning about half way up the vertical. Also, even at that angle, the antenna was still allowing me to converse clearly using repeaters over 70 miles away.

I will likely be following some of the advice shown below to increase the durability of the antenna to world class status. Thanks again to all of those who gave that advice.

My only complaint, and this took quite a bit of thought, is that the antenna seems to radiate better than it receives. In other words, I can try to hit a repeater from a considerable distance, say 80-90 miles. I will not hear anything but static, even with the squelch properly adjusted. However, once closer to the repeater, I hear from others that they could hear me trying to hit the repeater and they were wondering if I was having a radio receive problem, since I would not respond to their transmissions. Not that surprising from a receive standpoint, but VERY surprising from a transmit standpoint.

In summary, for the cost, this is one excellent antenna. I expect it to withstand many years of harsh weather service. Does it have a small mag base? Yes, but it doesn't really need anything larger. Does it have a strange screw mount that cannot be used with NMO or other types of antennas? Yes, but the mount and the antenna come as two separate pieces that must be put together and can be replaced separately or troubleshot individually.

Thanks MFJ, for providing an affordable and reasonable product for those of us desiring a small and unobtrusive mag mount for our vehicles.

KI4SDY Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2009 07:54 Send this review to a friend
GREAT STEALTH ANTENNA!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have had one of these antenna on the wife's Mustang for 5 years now and it performs excellent! She likes the low profile and the performance (hear the repeater at 100 miles and hit it at 60 miles). SWR is 1.2 in the center of the band.

Yes, the magnet is powerful (so much for the flying antenna stories), so I cut a matching sized circle of thick scuff guard tape and applied it to the base. The antenna is easier to remove now and does not affect performance. You can get this tape at auto supply stores.

KJ4AQV Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2008 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Good for a 1/4 wave  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great antenna to get the signal out of your ht. for the sixe of it it done great i hit a repeater 50 miles away with 5 watts. so it did something. all of these other guys epected to talk 60 db over the range of a 100 miles and a $300 antenna out of a 1/4 wave $20.00 antenna. Some hams just need to grow up and smell the roses you get what you pay for and this is what you payed for and it will give you $20.00 worth of service. kj4aqv

KA1YBS Rating: 2/5 Feb 14, 2008 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Expectations, Bad 'coax'  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK, nice thinking, a portable, lightweight, HT antenna that can be used with SOME mobile rigs. Sleek look, low profile, almost unnoticeable.

Now, the coax is horrible. The antenna base itself is probably too small for RG-58, but this "coax" is like 28-guage wire with a marginal shield. After 6 months use, the cable ripped in the braid or center, I don't know, don't care. I realize this antenna is probably designed for light use, so I gave it a 2, even though I never abused it, or moved between vehicles. The feedline is just too thin for normal mobile use, at least up north where we get snow and ice.

Replaced with a Maldol AX-75 and I get about twice the gain and only slightly taller than the MFJ.

To be fair, when the antenna was new, it was fun to operate, and it is definitely better and safer than trying to use an HT in the car near the window LOL.

KA1YBS

N0FPE Rating: 0/5 Aug 22, 2005 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Fine Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought 2 of these for traveling. Mistake...never could get them to preform any better than the stock HT duckie...

POS would not buy again

NFPE

AB0RE Rating: 2/5 Aug 17, 2005 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Fragile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned one of these for a while and used it very occassionally with satisfactory performance. However, the cable recently pulled out of the base of the antenna and is not repairable, rendering the antenna useless.

The base is a molded plastic teardrop that has a magnet glued in the bottom. In order to get the magnet out to see the inner workings of the antenna you basically have to destroy the base of the antenna. It appears that the center conductor of the RG-174 coax was very poorly soldered to the threaded part where the whip screws on. The outer shield of the coax appeared to just be held in place via compression between the magnet and the base.

Due to it's very weak design, extremely high liklihood of failure, and non-field servicable design, I cannot recommend this antenna. Your money would be better spent buying something just a bit larger like the Diamond MR77(SMA).

Also worth noting is that this antenna is extremely floppy and becomes nearly horizontal at interstate speeds.

Dan / ab0re