Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Lowe HF-225 Help

Reviews Summary for Lowe HF-225
Lowe HF-225 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: A UK made and designed HF receiver ideal for the SWL
More info: http://www.mwcircle.org/res-receiver-lowehf225.htm

You can write your own review of the Lowe HF-225.

G3XBM Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2009 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Good receiver in its day  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Owned one some years back and used it for general ham and broadcast listening. Although the external styling was simple and a bit basic the receiver performed very well. My only criticism was the resolution of the display was to the nearest kHz. It pulled in plenty of DX and I would recommend one for an SWL. No doubt they can still be found on eBay and second hand sales.

KT6LN Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2006 00:08 Send this review to a friend
A second look reveals more worthy performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, I was wrong to give 4. But the fault was really not mine in thinking that its front end was not upto par. In fact, there was actually something wrong with the radio I got. I don't know if only mine was like this but, here is the deal:

Everything was working fine, on the surface, until I noticed that the attenuator did not function. I could not switch it on or off. On the display it showed as if it were doing something but no reduction in signal strength occured when I switched the attenuator on. That was odd enough but I did not pay attention too much at first because I got this radio as a real bargain. But when I noticed that there were images and IMD (intermodulation distortion) products all over the bands, I paid closer attention.

The most obvious one was a local AM-BCB station at 1500kc mixing with a SW-BCB station at 9715kc produced a strong (S9+10dB) signal (the sum) on 11215kc. I found quite a few of these on other frequencies as well.

I had to open and peek at the radio. I downloaded the service manual and a few hours later, I found out +8V was not connected to the attenuator relays which were also used to power the switching diodes of the band selecting filters at the RF input of the radio. The funny part was that there were no PCB traces that carried the +8V to the relays and the cathode of the diodes D12 and D13. I wonder if there was supposed to be a loose-wire jumper from a nearby solder joint and it was forgotten at the factory. In any case, I soldered one myself and all is well. The IMD on 11215 totally disappeared.

Whoever has this radio: please check if yours suffers from strong IMD products. If yes, then it may be really easy to fix. Search for my callsign at qrz website and send me an email. I could tell you how to do it.

What a nice radio it turned out to be! It is well worth the money.

RS87390 Rating: 4/5 Jun 21, 2004 10:32 Send this review to a friend
A good all round RX.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new in 1992/93. Still works well.

Pros:

Good strong signal handling/dynamic range.
Superior audio quality on all modes, esp with a good external speaker.
Durable - Does not look it's age despite heavy use, no panel lettering has worn off!
Simple and fun to use, all controls work smoothly;no nasty chuffing effects when tuning.
Accurately calibrated (if small) "S" meter.
Very stable - I've really never noticed any drift even on SSB or when decoding RTTY.

Cons:

No PBT or notch filter.
Sparse frequency display.
Sync. detector can't select upper/lower sideband.
Slightly tacky appearance.

Other Comments:

I would regard the keypad option for frequency entry as essential; large movements up or down the band are rather laborious without it.

Can't go far wrong with one of these really. I may have lusted after a flashier Kenwood R5000 or JRC NRD-535 12 years ago but I couldn't justify the extra cost at the time, besides I've never regretted buying the Lowe as I've had so much fun with it! At today's prices it's even better value.

G4TPV Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2004 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Good performer owned (s/h) since late 80s  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had it a while. I tend to like my HF transceives without general coverage, so, use 225 to gauge likely propagation on our bands by listening to adjacent util/BC bands - good old trick !

Mine was wacked by direct lightning strike a few months ago. ONE diode taken out !

Also squirted RF accidentally into it - again 1 (different) diode.

Agree re the not too long antenna but does need
to be matched.

RS180399 Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2001 03:16 Send this review to a friend
general review  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have owned my 225 for 4 years now and have never looked back since. the reciever has everything needed for a swl such as proper filters lcd read out 30 memory channels real analoge signal meter i also own a philips d2935 but it is not a patch on the lowe the reason i gave it 5 in the ratings is its ability to pull weak stations out of the noise especially when the attenuator is switched on .
also the strong signal overload you get with other radios is not a problem with this one.
mine is fitted with the fm board and remote keypad, when switched to fm and tuned to the cb band it is as good as my 40ch cb rig and thats on a horizontal loop cut for 21mhz. so if any of you are wondering which receiver to buy secondhand then this is worth a serious look at the moment here in the uk the prices are good with a typical set costing in the region of around 220 . go on give it a go you wont be dissapointed
simon wood (RS180399)

Anonymous Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2000 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Nice and clean receiver, no frills, typical Britis  Time owned: unknown months
After owning several other gen. coverage receivers (Icom IC-R70, Aimor TR-105, Nasa/AKD HF-4) this one is really satisfying me. Good selectivity, nice filters, excellent SSB reception, very stable. Options are : wired keypad (must have), Batt.pack, FM/AMS decoder, active antennacircuit, leather case, extra speaker.If you have all the options, this receiver beats more expensive ones, often costing double the price of the 225 with all options.
Don't make your antenna to long, it sure don't need more than approx. 10 meters.