Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-80A Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-80A
Ameritron AL-80A Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1399
Description: Ameritron AL-80a 1KW Output, 160-15, 10 possible with mod.
run a single 3-500z, 850 watts CW, 1000 watts SSB.

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-80A.

N7RD Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2018 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a ROCK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My AL80-A is a great performer. Only operate CW and with 50 watts it will run 750 watts all day long with no hitches. Built like a WW2 Tank it just keeps on keepin on.

VY1JA Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2017 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Greast in Camada for Contests   Time owned: more than 12 months
The station at VY1JA is opertated remotely by YCCCN contest group and has been there for many. For many months now we have been only using the AL-80A and if you worked VY1AAA, XO1A, CF1AAA, or VY1JA this amp is what helped make you hear us. We have found that Martin F Jue and his staff provided excellent service the one time it was needed and the amp ended up better than new as a reslut. This amp has been in service in the Yukon for many years and just keeps plugging away. I strongly recommend this amp for anyone who contests.

OE4VIE Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2017 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Still a good choice!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my AL-80A for about 6 months. I bought it second hand and it performed flawlessly ever since. I have not experienced any problems or issues. In my AL-80A I am using an swiss BBC (ABB) T510-1 tube with graphite anode which give me easily an Kilowatt if needed. I renewed the parasistic suppressor with a F1BXL hairpin design, which you can buy on ebay. I had a few 2x 3-500z amplifiers in the past but was always looking for a single tube linear like this one. If you can get one for a good price, take it!

W2ZR Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2017 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, it finally happened. After 27 years, my trusty little amp has developed a small glitch. There seems to be something slipping such that turning the PLATE knob doesn't always turn the capacitor. Other than that, it's operated flawlessly.

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2017 03:34 Send this review to a friend
VERY CONSISTENT !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp 5 yrs now but only used occasionally. Always see 1k with 90 watts drive, cooling system is excellent and fan noise in non-existent.
Very good amp for the money.

KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2016 04:47 Send this review to a friend
Almost legal limit   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A good ham buddy passed away and left me all his gear and one thing was a AL80A and wow what a amp .
Using my LP100A meter and my Yaseu meter shows the same . 80 meters full drive 1200 watts . Other bands 1100 watts +/- I run it most of the time with 65 watts 850 +/- out . and run super cool . Can't even hear it run . Tunes fast and easy . I was going to sell it guy had money in his hand to buy it from me but playing with it for a day or 2 and I told him I was keeping it lol .

KC9OET Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2016 12:51 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a used al-80a amp and sent it to ameritron and had the tech,fix everything that was wrong with it,and now it works flawless those amps are work horses with 50-watts drive I get 700-watts out I replaced the power triode with the 3-500zg it is easy to tune,and has a wisper quite fan,and with 3100-votes on the plate it is more than enough for the triode,most amps using 2-3-500z,s don,t have that much plate voltage so if you want a great amp get the al-80a you can,t go wrong

KR3DX Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2015 13:03 Send this review to a friend
ALL gear should be this good  Time owned: more than 12 months
The following are my personal observations and opinions. I bought my AL-80A new, in 1987. It was made in Ohio, before the Ameritron name was acquired by MFJ. The workmanship is flawless, it has good solder joints, and all mechanical connections are tight. One of the grain-of-wheat lamps that illuminate the meters burned out after a couple of months, I replaced all the lamps with LEDs, and they have been working fine since then. The only problem that I had was with the original Eimac tube. I was unlucky enough to get a tube from the bad batch that had a defective anode plate to cap weld, and it developed a tilt of the anode. Of course, this was not Ameritron's fault. By this time, Eimac had ceased production of glass tubes, so I bought an Amperex tube that was made in France. (I try to avoid buying anything made in China, it's ALL junk, in my opinion) I have used this amp for countless SSB ragchews, many of them lasting for an hour or longer. Most of this operation has been on 20M and 40M, with occasional use on the higher bands. I have used it during the PA-QSO Party, which requires constant cycling from transmit to receive. I have occasionally applied drive to it with the bandswitch in the wrong position. I have NEVER had any problem with this amp. It has always functioned flawlessly. About once a year, I remove the cover and vacuum the inside of the amp, and wipe down the tube envelope and HV anode areas with a lint-free cloth. This is the only maintenance that it has required in over 28 years. It's been a great amp, I would buy it again, without hesitation.

Denny KR3DX

N8VIL Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2015 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier with updates  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this amplifier not working for $200.00. Most of my gear is purchased not working and I enjoy restoring to better than new condition. I replaced the terrible "step start" relay with the Harbach stepstart board. The new boards come with mounting holes at each corner. Mounted it to the inside rear cabinet with 1/4 X 3/4 hex standoffs and #6 screws. This board gives a nice 1/4 second start up sequence. Plate voltage ramps up to 1700 volts then 1/4 second later 3000 volts. Also replaced plate choke, current design from Ameritron, and RFP 3-500ZG tube. Added a 3 LED warm white strip to the top of each meter for meter lights. I find that 240 volts is a better way to power the amplifier. Less current on the AC line to the outlet and also the internal AC wiring in the amplifier. The wiring in the amplifier is a little thin for my taste and is also a little easier on the power switch and stepstart relay contacts.
I get about 800 watts CW during tune up with 75-80 drive. Signal reports have been great and I am very pleased with this amp. I spent about $250 in parts (stepstart board - plate choke - new tube) to bring this amplifier to its former glory.
I also sanded the top cover, primed and painted. It was all scratched up. I used an etching primer from Duplicolor to prime and Rusteloem makes a nice fine textured satin black paint that duplicates the original finish. You cant tell that it has been repainted. Anyways 5 star rating with me and I had to brag a bit about my latest restoration project

K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Decades later there is still full output from the original tube. My AL-80B was always light on the power and the AL-80A looks so much nicer. Maybe I should rate this a 4 because it's not a brand new top of the line, mega-dollar Alpha; just a $600 bargain that works great. (Hams, gotta luv 'em)