Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Dentron Jr. Monitor Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Jr. Monitor
Dentron Jr. Monitor Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $79.00
Description: Antenna tuner, mobile?

You can write your own review of the Dentron Jr. Monitor.

K6RQR Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2017 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful small tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received one today and have it hooked up to what used to be a 75 meter dipole fed with coax and a 1:1 current balun. The dipole is now a doublet connected to the Dentron with 450 ohm twinlead. I have used it on 75, 60, 40, and 20 meters and it tunes the antenna just fine. At first I was just tuning it using the RF output meter. That was fine but when I hooked up an SWR/Power meter I was able to fine tune the antenna even better. I'm getting SWR down to near 1:1 on many frequencies.
The Dentron is also small enough to use in my car if I should decide to operate mobile and I can see that it would also be a good tuner for portable operation.
As others have said it is a quality alternative to some MFJ tuner of a similar price. The construction is excellent. It is rated at 300 watts and I would not push that as another reviewer mentioned the damage that could happen to the meter sensing circuit.
The Dentron Junior is only about 5 1/2" wide, 3" high and 7" deep and it lives on top of my Kenwood TS-140S. Despite its small size it works very well and I am pleased with it. Recommended!

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2017 07:33 Send this review to a friend
the good ol' days  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked one up used for no other reason than to have a backup in case one of my autotuners conked out (MFJ did just that). My replacement was an LDG autotuner that was fine but when I opened the box and grabbed this tuner it reminded me of how cars in the 1950's were built - like tanks. this is one beauty and works so well I took my LDG autotuner out and plugged this in to work with my Icom 7300. I'm stuck with a 10-20 OCF dipole which the autotuner cannot tune on 40. But this Dentron handles it like a piece of cake. There are advantages in using an autotuner - they're faster. But this takes just a few seconds longer to lower the power, tune for noise level and then adjust the xmitter and antenna match. Takes seconds.

KC2WBK Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2015 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Works Well and as Designed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the same price as a new MFJ tuner, you can buy one of these used and get a much nicer piece of equipment. I run an 84 foot wire out the window that terminates to a banana plug that goes into the back of the tuner. Works fine, tunes all the bands I cut the wire for (80,40,20,15,10). I know it's working, I get great signal reports, especially considering the antenna.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Great unit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Perfect companion for field day or other times when a portable, lightweight design is needed. I had one years ago, now I can't find it. Hope I run across it soon.

WB2KWF Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 10:59 Send this review to a friend
AAA All the way!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First time writing a review here...but this little tuner is just amazing. Running it mobile with my TS-480HX at 200W with hamsticks or bugcatcher antennas. Now I don't have to get out to QSY...just a short time tuning, and away I go! I can even hook it to my ladder line at home, and operate "mobile" with my full size antenna! HiHi!. I wouldn't be without it!

N4NDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2012 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Giant  Time owned: months
I purchase this Dentron Jr. Monitor tuner due to a bad experience I had with my every day Auto tuner when I had to send it back for repair the second time and since I had to wait 3 weeks the first time I thought it would be wise to purchase a small tuner until it arrives to get me by. Well I'm so glad I did because it is an amazing piece of equipment. I tune all bands with no problems even 160 meters that I could never tune with my much bigger tuner and with the Dentron Jr was a breeze. It is built like a tank and looks real nice even though it is very small. I have used 285 watt out through it and not a twitch. If you are in need of a small tuner and happened to find one buy it you won't be sorry.

David/n4ndx

MM3PTS Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2011 00:57 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well guys ,this is a keeper ,as said it will tune just about anything .The quality is by far above mfj and for such a little box the weight is If only they still made tuners like this we would all be happy amateurs ,well most of us going by the previous reviews .My advice is if you see one buy it quick .

FORMER_KC6O Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2010 03:02 Send this review to a friend
DESERVES A 5/5 RATING!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Incredible little box. Will tune a sardine if need be.

Packed full and solid as a rock.

I had accidentally broken off a knob shaft and made another from a chopstick and a Bic pen.

I plan to buy another in the near future.

This is one item all Amateurs should have, period.

Darned efficient, too.

K9XK Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2010 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Ah yes, the Junior Monitor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I remember back in the '70s when I first became a ham and I was waiting for a vertical antenna from Trigger Electronics. (which never came because they were stealing everyone's money) I got impatient and just for the heck of it I put a 9-iron on the mount I had installed for the vertical and tuned it up with the Junior Monitor. I worked several states on 40m CW.

That's when I because a believer in this goofy little box! Imagine if I would have used a 3-iron, with its extra length.....

KD4WPC Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2009 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Itzakeeper...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Oh yes, This 1 iza keeper for sure. Someone said it would "tune a cold noodle"...If you cut that cold noodle in 1/2 and let it dry, this thing would still tune it. I'm very happy with my dentron jr. and dont intend to let it go.
I got mine off ebay for less than 70.00 and its even got a switch to bypass the tuner someone added to it...nice 'lill extra.
I dont use the small meter on the unit...I run a set of meters with it...allways best.
I do however stress the fact that if you try to put more than 300 watts to it,its gonna let magic smoke out all over the place. If you are runing 100 watts from your xmiter you wont have a bit of trouble and it'll keep on tuning for a good long time.

I have also used this tuner on a g5rv jr. with a frg-7 rcvr...works just as good to "tune em in".

If you have the chance to gitchu 1...gitit!!!