Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Dentron Jr. Monitor Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Jr. Monitor
Dentron Jr. Monitor Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $79.00
Description: Antenna tuner, mobile?

You can write your own review of the Dentron Jr. Monitor.

WB2KWF Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 10:59 Send this review to a friend
AAA All the way!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First time writing a review here...but this little tuner is just amazing. Running it mobile with my TS-480HX at 200W with hamsticks or bugcatcher antennas. Now I don't have to get out to QSY...just a short time tuning, and away I go! I can even hook it to my ladder line at home, and operate "mobile" with my full size antenna! HiHi!. I wouldn't be without it!

N4NDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2012 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Giant  Time owned: months
I purchase this Dentron Jr. Monitor tuner due to a bad experience I had with my every day Auto tuner when I had to send it back for repair the second time and since I had to wait 3 weeks the first time I thought it would be wise to purchase a small tuner until it arrives to get me by. Well I'm so glad I did because it is an amazing piece of equipment. I tune all bands with no problems even 160 meters that I could never tune with my much bigger tuner and with the Dentron Jr was a breeze. It is built like a tank and looks real nice even though it is very small. I have used 285 watt out through it and not a twitch. If you are in need of a small tuner and happened to find one buy it you won't be sorry.

David/n4ndx

MM3PTS Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2011 00:57 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well guys ,this is a keeper ,as said it will tune just about anything .The quality is by far above mfj and for such a little box the weight is If only they still made tuners like this we would all be happy amateurs ,well most of us going by the previous reviews .My advice is if you see one buy it quick .

KC6O Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2010 03:02 Send this review to a friend
DESERVES A 5/5 RATING!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Incredible little box. Will tune a sardine if need be.

Packed full and solid as a rock.

I had accidentally broken off a knob shaft and made another from a chopstick and a Bic pen.

I plan to buy another in the near future.

This is one item all Amateurs should have, period.

Darned efficient, too.

K9XK Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2010 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Ah yes, the Junior Monitor  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I remember back in the '70s when I first became a ham and I was waiting for a vertical antenna from Trigger Electronics. (which never came because they were stealing everyone's money) I got impatient and just for the heck of it I put a 9-iron on the mount I had installed for the vertical and tuned it up with the Junior Monitor. I worked several states on 40m CW.

That's when I because a believer in this goofy little box! Imagine if I would have used a 3-iron, with its extra length.....

KD4WPC Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2009 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Itzakeeper...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Oh yes, This 1 iza keeper for sure. Someone said it would "tune a cold noodle"...If you cut that cold noodle in 1/2 and let it dry, this thing would still tune it. I'm very happy with my dentron jr. and dont intend to let it go.
I got mine off ebay for less than 70.00 and its even got a switch to bypass the tuner someone added to it...nice 'lill extra.
I dont use the small meter on the unit...I run a set of meters with it...allways best.
I do however stress the fact that if you try to put more than 300 watts to it,its gonna let magic smoke out all over the place. If you are runing 100 watts from your xmiter you wont have a bit of trouble and it'll keep on tuning for a good long time.

I have also used this tuner on a g5rv jr. with a frg-7 rcvr...works just as good to "tune em in".

If you have the chance to gitchu 1...gitit!!!

KB9MVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2009 00:40 Send this review to a friend
classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is not a better manual tuner on the market than this one. Well you will have to find a used one at a ham fest of ebay. On the used market you can find them between 25-50 bucks. This thing will tune a cold spagatti noodle and get you a contact in france..great for long wires or any other antenna. Ideal for qrp..dont go over the 300 watt max unless you like second hand smoke..O ya ya you might not like the little meter on the front..no its not an swr meter. its a power meter..the more power or swing on the meter the better the tune..if your radio has a built in swr meter..just buy this one, you wont be sorry.

WD8TA Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2009 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Likable Little Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 and recently got a 3rd because it is a nice little tuner. The 3rd one is in bad shape.

When I received it, it was rattling. I opened it up and instead of seeing the customary airwound coil there were 2 torroids one of which was connected to the inductance switch with multiple taps and another went from that torroid to ground. I have a feeling someone decided to customize the tuner as I don't think the torroid was standard issue. If they were can someone please send me a set of inside pictures to compare with what I've got off list?

The only thing I can say is to make sure that the relative power connection circuit is intact. It uses a 27K 1/2w carbon comp to tap the line and run that to a 1N295 germanium detector diode. Pretty much all of mine have had the 27K burned out and someone replaced the 1N295 with a silicon diode (1N914/4148 or a 1N4007) as the 1N295's are sort of hard to find. I've had to replace the resistor and the diode on each as people pump too much power through them.

As for me, I try to buy them whenever I see them and have some extra cash laying around.

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2008 09:02 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I now have two of these! For those interested, the manual is here:

And it handles (according to the manual) 300 watts! I believe it is one of the best buys in a used tuner!

KC9CS Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2008 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Take-along tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine for $25. Top outside cabinet needed a freshen up coat of paint, front and back panels were fine. Inside was pristine, as if it had never been used. I use it for QRP on field days, camp trips, etc. It'll tune long wires, balanced or unbalanced lines, etc. I paralleled bnc connectors to the SO-239 rear panel connectors for ease of hooking to my QRP rigs. Simply put, it is a solid, rugged and great little tuner.