Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Dentron Jr. Monitor Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Jr. Monitor
Dentron Jr. Monitor Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $79.00
Description: Antenna tuner, mobile?

You can write your own review of the Dentron Jr. Monitor.

KB9MVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2009 00:40 Send this review to a friend
classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is not a better manual tuner on the market than this one. Well you will have to find a used one at a ham fest of ebay. On the used market you can find them between 25-50 bucks. This thing will tune a cold spagatti noodle and get you a contact in france..great for long wires or any other antenna. Ideal for qrp..dont go over the 300 watt max unless you like second hand smoke..O ya ya you might not like the little meter on the front..no its not an swr meter. its a power meter..the more power or swing on the meter the better the tune..if your radio has a built in swr meter..just buy this one, you wont be sorry.

WD8TA Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2009 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Likable Little Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 and recently got a 3rd because it is a nice little tuner. The 3rd one is in bad shape.

When I received it, it was rattling. I opened it up and instead of seeing the customary airwound coil there were 2 torroids one of which was connected to the inductance switch with multiple taps and another went from that torroid to ground. I have a feeling someone decided to customize the tuner as I don't think the torroid was standard issue. If they were can someone please send me a set of inside pictures to compare with what I've got off list?

The only thing I can say is to make sure that the relative power connection circuit is intact. It uses a 27K 1/2w carbon comp to tap the line and run that to a 1N295 germanium detector diode. Pretty much all of mine have had the 27K burned out and someone replaced the 1N295 with a silicon diode (1N914/4148 or a 1N4007) as the 1N295's are sort of hard to find. I've had to replace the resistor and the diode on each as people pump too much power through them.

As for me, I try to buy them whenever I see them and have some extra cash laying around.

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2008 09:02 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I now have two of these! For those interested, the manual is here:

And it handles (according to the manual) 300 watts! I believe it is one of the best buys in a used tuner!

KC9CS Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2008 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Take-along tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine for $25. Top outside cabinet needed a freshen up coat of paint, front and back panels were fine. Inside was pristine, as if it had never been used. I use it for QRP on field days, camp trips, etc. It'll tune long wires, balanced or unbalanced lines, etc. I paralleled bnc connectors to the SO-239 rear panel connectors for ease of hooking to my QRP rigs. Simply put, it is a solid, rugged and great little tuner.

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2007 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat this little tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this gem in my arsenal for almost 4 yrs now. About the only time I used it was for field day or when testing a new wire antenna I built.
Well 2 weeks ago, my wife and I took our daughter to the airport so she could report back for duty at Ft. Leonard Wood. Came home, found out we had had a short term power outage, when the power came back on, it trip something inside my 6 month old FT-897D, and the little battery lights were blinking. Long story short, wound up sending the 897 to Ca. for repairs.
Figured that I needed something in the front room to keep me happy, (see my bio, on my lazee boy HF station). So I brought out my trusty FT-817ND hooked my Dentron Jr. to my 67' Windom and I was back on the air! Although, I'm only running 5 watts, this tuner WILL tune from 40 on up through 6mtrs. including 10 and 6 meter FM. So yea, this little tuner that was GIVEN to me is staying in the shack. I do have the MFJ 949E which is hooked to my Kenwood TS480HX, I think I'll just leave my lazee boy QRP station up and running the way it is for now. Can't beat this little Dentron Jr. Monitor! Looks like it's going to get a LOT more use!

73de Mark
AI4HO

AI4IJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2006 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Rugged compact simple medium power tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this little gem for about 3 years, now, and it still performs like new - and it was several years old when I bought it off ebay.

I take it with me when operating HF portable to tune my portable rotatable center fed mid-loaded doublet. Electrically, the doublet is a half-wave dipole for 30M, but about 24 feet long physically. The tuner tunes this antenna on 40M to 10M with NO problem at full power (100 watts). And, the tuner is rated for up to 300 watts.

It has both coaxial and balanced outputs (in parallel, not switched), and will tune long wires.

The built in meter is handy for determining relative SWR and power output - just tune for max deflection on the meter at whatever power level you choose (there's a calibration control on the back). When power output is max, SWR is minimum.

My other tuners are a Heathkit SA-2060 and a Heathkit SA-2040. This one stacks up well against the others when portability becomes an issue.

Yes, I'd buy another one.

Richard
AI4IJ

N5RDN Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2006 00:44 Send this review to a friend
A great Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got mine off e-bay, for good price. Well built unit. I've used it for random wires and dipoles. Used a MFJ 941E before getting the Dentron. The MFJ arced on 40mtrs and 80mtrs at full output(100w rig), but the Dentron does not. The output meter is relative and I use inline watt/swr meter to tune with. I'm sure it will serve me well for a long time. This one is staying with me!

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2006 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Good basic tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these for a little while in the mid 1990s. Tuned up things ok, but I never could figure out how to read the reflected power meter that came built into it. I don't think it had an antenna switch on it, but I could be wrong.

KG4HUP Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2006 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Great little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this little jewel for about 5 years an use it out camping an have it mounted in my Honda CRV for mobile use. I captured mine for about $40 bucks an will most likely have for several more years. Really works great an is very small so you have more room for more radio gear. If you find one get it, you will like it. Thanks Tom KG4HUP

SANBORN_EX_AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2005 12:53 Send this review to a friend
The Mouse that Roared  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have enjoyed my Dentron Jr. tuner for several years, it's what I take with me when I go camping and have used it to tune my IC-706IIG into a 1/4 wave wire slung into the canopy of trees overhead.

It seems to be able to tune everything hooked to it.

Acts like my Dentron MT-3000 with regard to tuning procedure.

One trip to a No.Cal campsite, wire thrown into the trees overhead, received a '25-over-9' signal report from W6OBB in Pahrump,Nv utilizing this diminutive but smooth-as-silk tuner behind my 100w FT-100D.

I've also successfully run 450w pep after tuning with 50w through the Jr.

I have the specs and paperwork but won't share it with someone only giving a '3' to a '5' tuner!

The only drawback I've found is the relative meter reads too low on some bands and too high on others, I use the swr meter in the rig for tuning.

Just a great and solid little tuner! 73