Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Dentron MLX-mini Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron MLX-mini
Dentron MLX-mini Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 100W 10-80m HF transceiver built around the Mizuho SG-9 IF transceiver board
More info: http://www.mizuhoradio.com/dentron.html

You can write your own review of the Dentron MLX-mini.

KM4BA Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2006 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Great portable rig, ahead of it's time!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Dentron MLX-mini was a very neat concept, and quite ahead of it's time. Built around the SG9 9 Mhz sideband generator modulue from Mizuho, it was a very compact and selfcontained mono-band rig. 25 watts, digital display on the vfo. Rugged metal case. More info can be seen here:
< http://www.mizuhoradio.com/dentron.html >

My unit is for 75m, and I used it mobile and portable for many years. I have also used a 20m unit briefly, and it was quite fun to play with.

The MLX's never really made it to production. Most known examples were were sold by K5BDZ after purchasing what remained of the Dentron inventory. This story is documented here:
< http://www.kkn.net/archives/html/QRP-L/2002-03/msg01943.html >

When first introduced I picked up a brochure which I still have. Dentron did have examples for sale at the time.

My unit was purchased later at one of the major hamfests as a new unit and came with a Dentron labeled Shure hand mic. I also received a manual/schematic for the unit.

I do not remember if mine was from Dentron or from Bill K5BDZ. I suspect the later.

I'd love to find a 20m version of the rig to go with my 75m.

Nice features:

The receiver was quite usable, and was perhaps better than the other compact mobiles like the Atlas, etc. VFO stability was quite good once warmed up and could be improved if the meter light & display were switched off. TX audio worked well. I still use the shure mic on newer rigs as it seems to have a DX type sound.

Things to look out for:
The frequency display is prone to failure. Mine appears to have lost regulation, and is not functioning correctly. It used a standard frequency counter chip and LED displays. For many years I considered replacing it with one of the LCD modules.

Overall, the MLX is a neat rig, and fun to play with. Again, way ahead of it's time. The Ten-Tec Scout and later the FT-817 followed in it's footsteps.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on the rig. While the schematic does not cover the other bands, it would be better than nothing if you are trying to troubleshoot.

Have fun!