Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-890 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-890
Yaesu FT-890 Reviews: 77 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1529.00
Description: FT-890AT MF-HF Tranceiver
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ft890.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-890.

NN4P Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2014 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Good enough is enough  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned many HF rigs, my first being a Yeasu Ft-840 and thought that was the RIG!!! It was for me in my infancy to HF. The radio was exceptional and getting back into the hobby with limited funds, the FT-890 has some super perks. Filtering etc.... I'll move up to the FT-1200 or the like in a few months, but this radio "Works". Can't beat one for the prices going for it at present. Great RX

KG7EQG Rating: 2/5 Oct 14, 2013 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Volume control  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The volume is always max in order for me to hear 90% of the time. Is there a way I can improve the volume control? I have my FT890 AT hooked up to a 780 power supply with a external speaker but the volume once again is set on max if very weak receiving. Can you make a recommendation which would help?

KC1AAQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2013 16:07 Send this review to a friend
I'm happy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A New General HAM with an old radio...

I was looking specifically for rig with 'buttons' and was confused with multi-level menus on new compact rigs and can't afford the 'DX' super radios.

I found it!!! Very good price and very serviceable even after 20yrs. Several Elmers have also given it their blessing.

Now I just need to learn more of the basics, and think it will be easier with this radio as almost all functions have a dedicated button and/or knob to setup and control. I sort of consider this the closest to a tube radio I'll ever get.

I have already QSO'ed with European contacts and will keep running this rig as long as it's happy.

M0SRW Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 08:52 Send this review to a friend
FT1000 in a small box !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great little set get some filters in it and you won't want that old FT1000 on the bench takeing up all that space.

It's got a proper analog meter nice sound from the speaker tho I use a ext speaker on mine it sounds like my MK5. Easy to use controls and well made in the days of well made stuff I've worked VK on 25w on 40m with a 40m dipole useing a old turner jm2 mic busting through a pile up.
No stupid gimmicks or flashy lights or more menus than a Chinese take away like some radios out there.
It recives as well as my MK5 but like I say put a Collins filter in there and bingo get rid of the FT1000 and make space for more junk or a big AMP to plug it into !

WA8ATF Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2013 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Straight Forward,Does It Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have mine equipped with the inrad 2.8 kHz filter which makes the receiver musical to listen to.well built straight forward rig.
It has all important features and necessary weaponry on the face panel.i am a voice operator and whatever I ask of it it does well,including very pleasant am receive,along with good am transmit considering what it is,as low level solid state.even today I'm still impressed.an excellent choice for shack or to go
(Field day,camping,mobile,etc.)The 890 was well thought out and engineered.Comes from an era of lineage when Yaesu really had it together.strongly recommend this rig.

N8YQX Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2013 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Good basic radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio used as my first HF rig. I recently replaced it with Icom IC-7410, so now this radio is for backup.

Good:
1. Compact design, but all controls are easy to use.
2. Dedicated controls for commonly used functions. No need to deep dive into a menu during everyday operation.
3. Good, solid tuning dial that glides effortlessly. Feels like very high end audio system volume control.
4. Low standby current consumption. Great for portable operation.

Bad:
1. Sudden frequency shift. I think this is the same problem others have experienced.
2. Data terminal is very noisy. PSK31 waterfall turned white. Worked OK when connected to SPK output.
3. No gain control for the data terminal.

Conclusion:
Overall, very good basic radio. Portable size and low power consumption would make it a good radio for backup and field day.

K5ZZR Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2012 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Old Reliable...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new in the early 90's and have loved it. My "Go To" radio when the Collins and Flex are acting up. Use it now mostly for mobile and is the perfect rig. The AT is the best I've seen. Pick one up before they disappear, better yet an extra one too for parts.

KU7I Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 05:29 Send this review to a friend
a mini FT-990  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are so many things about this rig that let you know it is of the same lineage as the FT-990 and FT-1000. The stock ssb filter is a bit narrow and I have an Icom FL-96 2.8 khz filter that I will drop in soon to replace the stock Yaesy anemic 2.4khz unit (same I.F.). The processor is amazingly effective. I dont have an outboard rcvr yet but it makes a HUGE difference on the wattmeter and the other stations say it adds a full S unit (this is an A/B test with it on and off with over 50 stations, they all say the same, a solid S unit every time). The QSK is very very good. The built in keyer speed control is quite touchy so I use an outboard Daiwa keyer. The AIP funciton helps with noise reduction. Don't see much difference when I activate the NB. The vfo has a great feel to it. I really like this rig but it is a bit small for my size and for my eyes. I have an IC-738 coming in a few days but for now have no plans to get rid of the 890.
Rating: 5/5

K4VIZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2012 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Basic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new in Feb of 1994. Used nearly EVERY day since then. Only one repair, power relay, cheap fix. AT works flawlessly and the CW is great. I'm an old (68) ham (52 yrs) and have had lots of rigs. Good for home or mobile and I love the "knob count". No menu driven junk. The QSK is OK but not quite up to Ten-Tec, gets the job done, tho. I have 2 of them now and for general CW and CW net ops it is tops. Get one if you can. SSB is OK, too.

W0ZF Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2012 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Good value radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my 890 used at Dayton about 10 years ago, and it was my workhorse until I bought a FT-450D in Feb 2011. I love the 450, but I miss having dedicated controls for all functions, and dedicated rear apron connections for PTT, Patch In, and audio out like the FT-890 has.
My FT-890 had the dreaded 'jumping frequency' problem shortly after I got it, but a new trimmer cap solved that.
One annoying problem though - it recently stopped transmitting above 7.100 on 40m, or below 1810 on 160m. It's almost as if it's following the old ITU Region 1 bandplan (I'm in Region 2). If anybody knows how to fix that, I'd love to know.