Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-890 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-890
Yaesu FT-890 Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1529.00
Description: FT-890AT MF-HF Tranceiver
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ft890.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-890.

WB5RUE Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2011 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my rig (AT version) right after they came out. It's been an excellent hard working rig with zero trouble until last week. One of the finals must be oscillating so it's time to open it up.

I have zero complaints about it. If you can find a used one buy it

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these FT-890 radios - both were bought used, but in like-new condition from the USA. I very rarely use them now, but that is because I have been busy playing around with Flex radios.

These rigs just work - and work extremely well. They were made in a decade where Yaesu were making top notch rigs, along with other gems like the FT-990, FT-1000D, FT-1000MP and FT-1000 MKV/field. The FT-890 is small enough to take along on a camping trip, or for portable operation. It has an excellent ATU - far better than the current ATUs built into new rigs today. Receive and transmit audio are top notch. If space in todays cramped vehicles was not such a consideration...then this rig would be my choice in a mobile.

These rigs are definitely keepers..

ZS5J

WW8A Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2011 17:54 Send this review to a friend
RE: What's next  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
WOW! What a great rig. Best $500.00 I ever spent. Came with a 20a Astron supply and Bencher Paddles.

No boxes or mic or manual But the young man who had owned it previously assured me no tampering had been done to it. He seemed honest and is a local businessman, PERHAPS it is a case of MORE FOOL ME, perhaps I got the one LEMON 890 ever made. or it's just showing it's age.

Have a YAESU Question; I'm thirsty where is the Line for the kool-aid.

K3EY Rating: 3/5 Sep 29, 2011 21:03 Send this review to a friend
OK---in it's day  Time owned: more than 12 months
Funny just how biased these reviews are. I owned several FT890 rigs and several FT450ís including the new D model which I still own. The 890 was noisy where the 450 with itís amazing DSP wipes out just about all annoying interference.

The FT890 in itís day was a fine HF rig, but to assign it cult status is a fools game for people afraid to let go of the past.

To make it play effectively required those very expensive Yaesu filters. Even with the filters installed today's radios are far superior at a bargain price and NO filters required.

I owned them all and that's my opinion and what this forum is for, opinions not shrine building.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 14:12 Send this review to a friend
great radio at cheap price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I guess when someone buys off Craigslist from a "former novice" that should say volumes about staying away from it. Appears the radio had been abused prior to the purchase, just look how it was shipped! I have had no problems with my FT890AT at all. Keeps working in all aspects. For the money, if you look at all the used smaller rig prices, this radio is a great bargain for what all it has in "bells and whistles". The AT works flawlessly, the audio in and out is great, readout bright etc. So, we should rate the radio and not the condition someone else left it in. An abused radio should not have a bad rating IMHO. The 'lemon' aspect of this radio is probably not Yaesu's fault in retrospect.

WW8A Rating: 0/5 Sep 28, 2011 17:42 Send this review to a friend
What Next?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased my FT-890 in May 2011 off craigslist from a former novice. The rig arrived at my door no boxes manual or mic. Price was right so I went for it. After just 3 weeks the rig began to act up. In and out of the Radio Shop since June. Loosing memory, no ssb xmit. Stuck in transmit. and now DEAD except for the s-meter lighting up. Every review said good investment. Well guess after the latest repair bill gets paid I probably could have bought a FT950.

IZ0FYS Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2011 04:01 Send this review to a friend
better than nowadays radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
fantastic rig, I had ft840 many years ago and it was good too.
Then I had kenwood ts450, yaesu ft897, ft817, kenwood ts2000, now I have found this 2hand 890 and I think it's the best radio.
fantastic rx even if it's only 2.4bw ssb, fantastic tx with its powerful proc.
buy this radio if you find one in good conditions, it's better than modern's.

K3AN Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2011 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Runs rings around FT-450  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FT-890AT recently completed its third Field Day. The last two years it was our only radio so it ran the full 24 hours. This year we decided to try using a FT-450AT as the sideband radio, using the 890 with its 500 Hz INRAD filter just for CW. In the weeks before FD I had the chance to compare the two radios side by side, connected to the same antenna using a coaxial antenna switch. Yes, the SSB bandwidth on the 450 can be made narrower than the 890 with its INRAD 2.1 kHz filter. But the noise level in the 450 is distressingly high. I had set both units' AF gain controls to provide moderate output to their internal speakers. When I switched to the 450, the 890 fell silent. When I switched to the 890, the 450 still put out a lot of noise, even with a moderate amount of DSP noise reduction. Since the radios were indeed side by side it took me a few moments to figure out what was going on. In a contest where there are lots of signals you probably won't notice the noise. But when tuning a quiet band looking for weak ones, the noise is a nasty intrusion.

I had been looking for a small, under $750 radio to replace my 890. I am now convinced that I'd be trading down if I did so. The ONLY criticism I have of the 890 is the readout is hard to see when the radio is in the great outdoors, such as on my pontoon boat even under the shade of the bimini top.

By the way, how come so many small radios lack a carry strap and side feet? The 890 has them.

KB1UZE Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 19:42 Send this review to a friend
want an extra one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
for my very first HF rig I could not be happier....well I could be;but this radio does all I need it to do.only had it for a week.

VU3MES Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2011 06:32 Send this review to a friend
great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i recently purchased a used ft890 from ebay. the set arrived recently from the w land to india in very good condition performnce wise and in appearance. the previous owner has kept it well and the rig is performing to my great satisfaction. compared to my other rigs the noise floor is the lowest in ft890 and the antenna tuner is terrific in its duty. i wanted to use this rig as my back up, but my main rig has become the back up rig now. 73s