Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-890 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-890
Yaesu FT-890 Reviews: 79 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1529.00
Description: FT-890AT MF-HF Tranceiver
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ft890.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-890.

K4VIZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2012 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Basic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new in Feb of 1994. Used nearly EVERY day since then. Only one repair, power relay, cheap fix. AT works flawlessly and the CW is great. I'm an old (68) ham (52 yrs) and have had lots of rigs. Good for home or mobile and I love the "knob count". No menu driven junk. The QSK is OK but not quite up to Ten-Tec, gets the job done, tho. I have 2 of them now and for general CW and CW net ops it is tops. Get one if you can. SSB is OK, too.

W0ZF Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2012 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Good value radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my 890 used at Dayton about 10 years ago, and it was my workhorse until I bought a FT-450D in Feb 2011. I love the 450, but I miss having dedicated controls for all functions, and dedicated rear apron connections for PTT, Patch In, and audio out like the FT-890 has.
My FT-890 had the dreaded 'jumping frequency' problem shortly after I got it, but a new trimmer cap solved that.
One annoying problem though - it recently stopped transmitting above 7.100 on 40m, or below 1810 on 160m. It's almost as if it's following the old ITU Region 1 bandplan (I'm in Region 2). If anybody knows how to fix that, I'd love to know.

AA8PP Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned two of these rigs before and trying several newer rigs I have went back to the FT-890 on my bench. Sorry to disagree with some others but had the FT-450 and wasn't impressed. The auto tuner was nearly useless on my antenna setup, G5RV which I never had issues with on any of the FT-890AT's.I can turn the IF shift and eliminate extremely strong side splatter without distorting the signals I want to hear. Running a Turner +2 mike and nothing but excellent reports both signal and audio wise with it. Wish I had the original one I bought new but got one of it's brothers.

WB5RUE Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2011 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my rig (AT version) right after they came out. It's been an excellent hard working rig with zero trouble until last week. One of the finals must be oscillating so it's time to open it up.

I have zero complaints about it. If you can find a used one buy it

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these FT-890 radios - both were bought used, but in like-new condition from the USA. I very rarely use them now, but that is because I have been busy playing around with Flex radios.

These rigs just work - and work extremely well. They were made in a decade where Yaesu were making top notch rigs, along with other gems like the FT-990, FT-1000D, FT-1000MP and FT-1000 MKV/field. The FT-890 is small enough to take along on a camping trip, or for portable operation. It has an excellent ATU - far better than the current ATUs built into new rigs today. Receive and transmit audio are top notch. If space in todays cramped vehicles was not such a consideration...then this rig would be my choice in a mobile.

These rigs are definitely keepers..

ZS5J

WW8A Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2011 17:54 Send this review to a friend
RE: What's next  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
WOW! What a great rig. Best $500.00 I ever spent. Came with a 20a Astron supply and Bencher Paddles.

No boxes or mic or manual But the young man who had owned it previously assured me no tampering had been done to it. He seemed honest and is a local businessman, PERHAPS it is a case of MORE FOOL ME, perhaps I got the one LEMON 890 ever made. or it's just showing it's age.

Have a YAESU Question; I'm thirsty where is the Line for the kool-aid.

K3EY Rating: 3/5 Sep 29, 2011 21:03 Send this review to a friend
OK---in it's day  Time owned: more than 12 months
Funny just how biased these reviews are. I owned several FT890 rigs and several FT450ís including the new D model which I still own. The 890 was noisy where the 450 with itís amazing DSP wipes out just about all annoying interference.

The FT890 in itís day was a fine HF rig, but to assign it cult status is a fools game for people afraid to let go of the past.

To make it play effectively required those very expensive Yaesu filters. Even with the filters installed today's radios are far superior at a bargain price and NO filters required.

I owned them all and that's my opinion and what this forum is for, opinions not shrine building.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 14:12 Send this review to a friend
great radio at cheap price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I guess when someone buys off Craigslist from a "former novice" that should say volumes about staying away from it. Appears the radio had been abused prior to the purchase, just look how it was shipped! I have had no problems with my FT890AT at all. Keeps working in all aspects. For the money, if you look at all the used smaller rig prices, this radio is a great bargain for what all it has in "bells and whistles". The AT works flawlessly, the audio in and out is great, readout bright etc. So, we should rate the radio and not the condition someone else left it in. An abused radio should not have a bad rating IMHO. The 'lemon' aspect of this radio is probably not Yaesu's fault in retrospect.

WW8A Rating: 0/5 Sep 28, 2011 17:42 Send this review to a friend
What Next?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased my FT-890 in May 2011 off craigslist from a former novice. The rig arrived at my door no boxes manual or mic. Price was right so I went for it. After just 3 weeks the rig began to act up. In and out of the Radio Shop since June. Loosing memory, no ssb xmit. Stuck in transmit. and now DEAD except for the s-meter lighting up. Every review said good investment. Well guess after the latest repair bill gets paid I probably could have bought a FT950.

IZ0FYS Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2011 04:01 Send this review to a friend
better than nowadays radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
fantastic rig, I had ft840 many years ago and it was good too.
Then I had kenwood ts450, yaesu ft897, ft817, kenwood ts2000, now I have found this 2hand 890 and I think it's the best radio.
fantastic rx even if it's only 2.4bw ssb, fantastic tx with its powerful proc.
buy this radio if you find one in good conditions, it's better than modern's.