Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-890 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-890
Yaesu FT-890 Reviews: 77 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1529.00
Description: FT-890AT MF-HF Tranceiver
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ft890.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-890.

VU3MES Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2011 06:32 Send this review to a friend
great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i recently purchased a used ft890 from ebay. the set arrived recently from the w land to india in very good condition performnce wise and in appearance. the previous owner has kept it well and the rig is performing to my great satisfaction. compared to my other rigs the noise floor is the lowest in ft890 and the antenna tuner is terrific in its duty. i wanted to use this rig as my back up, but my main rig has become the back up rig now. 73s

WP3VV Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2011 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Solid little rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was looking for a backup rig and I found a ft-890 in nice cosmetic condition. Unfortunately, the rig was another victim of a "golden screwdriver" so I had to bring it up to default specs. The reference oscilator was acting up(an easy fix)and the audio was really bad(both tx and rx)

After the job was done, I have to say it's simply a wonderful radio. The stock speaker sounds awesome. The antenna tuner does the job quite well. Controls are well placed, especially the notch/shift(which does a fantastic job). I am using a MD-1 and I get plenty of unsolicited compliments on my audio.

The ft-890 allows to tailor both tx/rx audio to suits your preferences. Even the audio processor could be adjusted to your voice characteristics(if processor shift).

Not a perfect radio, have to say the fan is a little noisy. But won't bother me at all.The finals are in top, so expect some heat coming from top of the radio via the heatsink design. That's is perfectly normal.

No extra filters etc. I simply won't need it. Maybe if you're into CW stuff, you might use some extra filters, I really can't comment on that.

No menu's no tricky stuff. Simply to operate and lots of fun.

If you're in a budget or simply don't want to spent much, this is your radio. Make sure is running by default. As a mentioned earlier, this particular rig is prone to be victim of experimentation.

WB1CXX Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2010 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu FT-890 .These are Discontinued.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own one of these and they are a great rig. I doubt if anyone can find a new one now as they have been discontinued. It has a super great Auto Tuner and I would never purchase another radio without one of these installed.

73 to all.
WB1CXX
Francis Whittier

KX5F Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2010 08:48 Send this review to a friend
One Fine Radio (Update)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently went to a hamfest and found a new in the box FT-890AT, Gentleman took it out of box tested it out and put back in box and in a closet ect. Yrs later, he is now a SK and family found it packed away. I could not walk away from this, though I DID not need another HF radio. So I now have a FT-890. Patrick

GW6SIX Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2010 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Simple mobile DX  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought it about 15 months ago from a well known uk midlands dealer ,I use it about 3 times a week.
I just connect a 20m mobile antenna with a mag mount and plug into the 20A direct fused battery supply.
I get better dx than at home (poor qth location), I regularly work USA/Canada/South America from the uk. The auto tuner works well .No frills , just works .Great for a novice.
I've taken it on car camping trips 6 times and got great results . I would buy another , I was looking for a mobile hf unit with an auto tuner and it ticks the boxes , guess it's quite old but does the job.
73's
Pete

EB5AGV Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2010 03:32 Send this review to a friend
An small wonder  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in 1992 I bought my first FT-890. It was my first HF rig and I was thrilled. It was the base for my Telecommunication Engineering Grade work so I did with it lots of things, from my first CAT program, WinCAT (back then, there was none similar, as I did a graphic interface; even Yaesu distributor in Spain added my software to new units :-)) to CW, RTTY and meteoFAX decoding, using my own hardware and software (and, BTW, I got the maximum qualification for my work :-))

Well, I used it as my main rig for years and always worked perfectly. Later, I added better filters and the antenna tuner. It has been always my reference rig to compare others, despite having an stash of rigs in my shack.

Some months ago I was able to buy a second unit, in unworking condition. I could not resist!. Just a couple weeks ago, as I had also got an FT-900 with similar problems, I decided to give it a go. And, yes, I got it working perfectly :-)! (it was a matter of a couple leaking caps, which had damaged some traces). So I had two (working) units, right?... NOT!!!. There was a third one I almost forgot, as I got it in very sad condition, with a badly 'fixed' final amplifier (a total mess) and PLL unlock problems. It had been stored as a 'parts unit' for years. But, well, what could I lose if I tried?. So, after a successful FT-900 repair (this time a leaking bandswitching diode), I attempted the parts-unit FT-890 brain surgery... and, after two long work days (so you know I really love these small wonder rigs), I got it working!

It is not the prettiest of the FT-890s around, but it is a survivor, so it has found a place in my workbench (http://jvgavila.com)

All in all, I really like these units and, even if I have dozens of rigs, some lots newer and more expensive, I won't ever be 890-less!. In fact, I am keeping the three units :-)

73 JOSE EB5AGV

KX5F Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2010 09:25 Send this review to a friend
One Fine Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Too bad they could not improve the FT890/900 line with a D model in the same makeup as the FT-1000D. I had a ft-890, and it was a Excellent radio, I still scan around the hamfests for a clean as new one, but they are scarce or in bad shape.

IK0YKM Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2010 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first one I owned in 1990. This is the second that I bought recently (2010)
If you find one and want a excellent no frills radio buy one!
You're in for a real treat!
Nice simple rig that just works!
I highly recommend it if you like simple radio's without all the bell's and whistles.
It's very easy to use and operate, great for field day or a beginner ham.
The best dual-conversion superheterodyne I've never owned.
...more than FT-450....no comparison.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2010 16:36 Send this review to a friend
great smaller rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have two of these and am keeping one for DXpedition work. I like it better than the FT900 I had 3 years ago. The NB and PBT are fantastic and love the larger type readout. The processor can be adjusted to suit individual speech patterns and output is an honest 100 watts. Does not cover 6m. You can use an external Icom PS with same Molex connector as the Yaesu line. Built in keyer unit, easily adjustable on top and nice "lights" to tell you when most buttons are pushed, like NB and Notch, IPO etc. Overall, a fantastic small unit that you can get your fingertips on without hitting two buttons at once. Mine do not have the AT option or narrow CW filter option, but the built in NAR function contrived by Yaesu is sufficient for me to lessen CW QRM. Worth the $500-550 they bring. The 900 still brings a high price too. I definitely will keep one of these for backup use.

26JLH Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2010 15:45 Send this review to a friend
cud this be magic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
very good radio tunes my longwire through a 9to1 balun 10 to 80 meters.
got this on ebay in very good condition with manual works well i mean my frends like the sound does not look as if its been through the mill after all its 11 years old. so its very good fot that.one good thing i like its got knobs not menues how i hate um.
why have them anyway not needed it just garnish, this works as good if not better for a lot less cash.
if you can get one, people dont part with them. owner of this one is dead thats why it was for sale.thanks jeff..M6-GLH