Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Generac 5550 WheelHouse Help

Reviews Summary for Generac 5550 WheelHouse
Generac 5550 WheelHouse Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$650
Description: Home Standby Power Generator
More info: http://www.generac-portables.com/generators/generator.cfm?order=4&id=188&use=&price=&wattage=

You can write your own review of the Generac 5550 WheelHouse.

W4SWR Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2012 10:43 Send this review to a friend
No complaints- good generator  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this 5500 watt generator in 9/03 for $650 at Home Depot right before a hurricane came through here. Used it for 2 days back then and every so often after that. Nice features, like removable gas tank, fuel shutoff valve (can easily run dry), and big wheels. Good 8500 watt surge capability, and my deep well pump starts fine. I have run a lot of things in the house off of this, including radio equipment like TS-850S and Alpha amp. No problems, no complaints.

W5GM Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2006 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and rock solid!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my genset for 3 years now and its a keeper! I might do a custom exhaust to see if I can knock it down about 25db, but thats my only complaint. The huge rear wheels make moving it around a snap! Don't forget the removable gas tank, which makes fillups possible if you forgot the gas can.... One cute trick, if you have a pickup truck, you can load, unload this genset by yourself using the large handle as a slide against the tailgate. Just back it up to the tail gate and grab the front of the unit and slide it on into the bed! Its a little heavy, but if you have a good back and eat wheaties, you can GIT ER' DONE!
I too enjoy the 1st pull starts. Briggs is the engine to beat. Tehcomseh is TOTAL TRASH! If I know I am going to store the unit for any time at all I just shut off the gas tank vavle and let it run itself dry to keep crap from building up in the carb.
Also, I too have the slight oil leak.. I keep a small piece of cardboard under the unit to catch the couple of drips a year.. One day I will figure out where its coming from...

WA2TRJ Rating: 2/5 Oct 1, 2006 19:55 Send this review to a friend
oil leak  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I thought this was the perfect generator until the thrid time I ran it for test and discovered a minor oil leak after perhaps no more than 20 minutes total elapsed time. I intended it for hurricane use and have never run it for any real length other than testing and once a week for a few minutes to make sure all is well. At first I thought it might be due to the lower oil fill plug. I tightened the plug and hoped for the best. It still appears to be leaking while in storage. I now think that they didn't torque the bolts properly or it might have a bad gasket between sections of the motor. I will have to send it to repair as Home Depot will not exchange it since I put gas and oil in it. I contacted Briggs by e-mail, but never received a response. It was leaking from the beginning.

KE4DRN Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2006 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Good choice !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this model for three years now, no problems, as others have posted, it starts on first or second pull (I run it dry before storage)

One of the best features are the large rear wheels, that never need any air in them. Easy to move around, even my wife can do it if I'm out of town during bad weather.

Forgot to add, the fuel tank is removable with four tall wingnuts, easy to take the tank and get it filled while the genset cools off.

We ran it on field day along with a second genset (different brand) and it burned very little oil, the oil was clean compared to the other genest that used a flattop conventional engige.

The OHV engine makes the difference, they run cooler, are more fuel efficient and make less noise compared to the less expensive flattop engines in other gensets.

5500 running, 6250 surge

KE4ZHN Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2005 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Briggs powered gennys  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a Coleman 4kw genny powered by an 8hp Briggs and wouldnt sell it for triple what I paid for it. I purchased this genny about 8 yrs ago. It runs as good as the first day I fired it up. This little machine runs a whole house except for ac (central air) with ease. Its very easy on fuel, during last summers hurricane disaster here in central Florida, I ran this machine for 6 days almost continiously. Only stopping it to refuel. It runs about 12-14 hrs. on 5 gallons of fuel depending on the load. Always starts on the first or second pull no matter how long it sits without being run. All my lawn and garden equipment is powered by Briggs engines. I wont run anything else. They are reliable, powerful for their size, very easy to work on the rare occasions you actually need to and last forever with proper maintenance. I have a garden tractor with a twin cylinder Briggs 14 hp engine on it thats 15 yrs. old now. It doesnt burn a drop of oil and starts every time on the first crank. Great little engines. In fact, the rest of this tractor is really showing its age now, but the Briggs runs as good as day 1 and literally will outlast the tractor! Although I dont have any experience with this make of generator, Id be willing to bet the engine will outlast the rest of the machine. If the alternator on this machine is built well, Im sure this little machine will run reliably for years due to the Briggs powerplant. The only way to kill one is to run it with no oil, and many later model Briggs engines employ a low oil shutdown switch which makes it idiot proof. Hondas are nice and quiet, they run superb also. However, if you want to keep your bucks in the US, go with a Briggs, you wont be sorry. I owned a lawnmower powered by a Tecumseh years ago. It was junk! No power, hard starting, and after only one year of normal use, it died suddenly right in the middle of mowing the yard. Never again.

IVANSURVIVOR Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2005 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Briggs & Stratton OHV  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased several of these units for me and for my company. After Hurricane Ivan hit the Pensacola area in September 2004, these generators all worked flawlessly to provide power for phones, air conditioning, computers, copiers, refrigerators, freezers, fans, lights, etc. I recommend the use of a UPS or surge supressor when connecting to electronic equipment. My personal unit ran 24 hours a day, seven days a week for 9 days solid, stopping only to add gasoline and change the oil. It is particularly easy to change the oil on these units, especially compared to the TroyBilt unit, which is essentially the same engine, but the frame gets in the way. I now own two of these units personally and have purchased 6 for my company. Change the oil every 50 hours, ensure that the gasoline is fresh and these units are as dependable as you can get. And, the price is right!

PANDERSO Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2005 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Florida 2004 Hurricane Season:  Time owned: more than 12 months
Florida 2004 hurricane season: Do I need to say more?

After four hurricanes, three direct hits in my area, the Generac proved itself to be a work horse above and beyond.

The 5550 Wheelhouse ran 24 hrs./day for two weeks, the first time: 27 hrs./day for 5 days, the second time: and 24 hrs./day for 3 days the third time: A couple of oil changes and gasoline were the only service provided during this time. This generator is the one to DEPEND on in times of emergency. I was able to run a hot water heater, full size ice box, and all lighting in a house. Washing machine was also used at this time, along with, a microwave oven.

After owning several other similar devices over the years, the Generac leads the pack as far as ease of start and brute power.

LOSTANDFOUND Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2004 11:11 Send this review to a friend
A very good buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this generator 2-1/2 years ago because of a power outage (ice storm)used it a couple of days and then stored it for almost 2 years
Recently we started building a new house and needed power this generator has been great starts almost every time on the first pull it has ran almost 30 days for approximately 8-10 hours a day no problems
I would highly recommend this to anyone

PDLTWO Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2004 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Briggs & Stratton loyalist!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Japanese make nice Radios(I own enough of them), and I'm sure Honda makes a nice Generator, but Briggs & Stratton is for me. Recently I was Flooded out and I had a Water Pump with a Briggs & Stratton Gas engine, haven't used in twenty years, varnish in the Tank, and missing the Spark plug. Scrounged around for a Plug, Filled with Gas, started up on the first pull! Pumped 5000 gallons of water out of my Basement that day. I used to rebuild Mini Bikes, and Lawn Tractors, plenty of spare parts. Generator kept me cool during the Northeast Blackout!
Stay away from Tecumseh hard to start!