Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | International Radio (Inrad) Roofing Filters Help

Reviews Summary for International Radio (Inrad) Roofing Filters
International Radio (Inrad) Roofing Filters Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $175-200
Description: Roofing filter mods for Yaesu FT-1000MP Series and FT-1000/D, Icom IC-756Pro/2/3, Icom IC-765/775/781, Ten-Tec Omni VI, Kenwood TS- 850/930/950 and other radios to improve close in dynamic range. Email: sales@inrad.net
More info: http://www.inrad.net/

You can write your own review of the International Radio (Inrad) Roofing Filters.

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2007 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Inrad for Omni VI+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to agree with other reviewers, it makes a great radio even better. I took the idea from another reviewer and connected the filter on/off to the attn switch for maximum flexibility. Simple installation.

Good advice and fast shipping from Inrad. I'm a happy filter user.

Wayne

N6MYA Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2007 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Roofing Filter for OMNI VI+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SSB Roofing filter kit for the Ten-Tec OMNI VI+. Makes a great radio fantastic. Have a neighbor ham with an amplifier that is only 8 blocks away. With the roofing filter and the PBT, i don't even know he's on the air!

Install was easy and i used the attenuator button to switch the filter in or out.

K1XV Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2007 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Like a new 775dsp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a fully loaded IC-775dsp. I decided to install the Inrad roofing filter for this radio. The installation for the 775dsp is more difficult than for some of the other transceivers, so I decided to have Beltronics in Hollis NH do it. It was money well spent.

When I got the radio back, I thought the RF gain control was turned down. It is a much, much quieter radio. But when you have a station in the roofing filter passband, you can see that it is full strength on the S-meter. I know this because I have done some tests with local stations whose ground wave signal strength is quite steady and predictable here.

The Inrad roofing filter has made a great radio an even greater radio. The only downside, which is relatively inconsequential, is that you cannot switch it out of the circuit (but you really don't want to after you have experienced it) and, it may make some of the "hi-fi" AM stations sound a little muffled. But heck, if I want to listen to Hi-Fi AM, I use my R-390 with the IF filter in the 16khz position.

Definitely recommended for those who want to improve selectivity.

ZS6AAA Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2007 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Shines up an old TS-930S  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the Inrad roofing filter in my "new" 1982 model TS-930S, which is destined to be the second rig in my SO2R contest station. Listening on 10m while transmitting on 20m, I can get within 2 KHz of the second harmonic of my 14MHz signal before the S meter even moves. In comparison, my "primary" rig is a TS-850S with the manufacturer's 500 Hz (455 kHz IF) filter. With the TS-850S, even with AIP on, I get an S1 signal about 20 KHz either side of the second harmonic. IMHO, the Inrad roofing filter (and the PIEXX motherboard, but that's another story) makes the old '930 more than the equal of most rigs out there for CW contesting.

K7RFI Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2007 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Great filter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have installed the roofing filter in my ft 1000d.
It made a huge difference with loud stations a few khz away. George is the greatest person to deal with,he goes out of the way to make sure you are happy other company's could learn from him.

KB1FZA Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2007 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for #701-A and the actual rating is more like 4.5. I got the #701-A (400Hz) for my FT-920. This filter is actually better than the OEM CW filter. It has very steep rolloff. The bandwidth is actaually 470 Hz at 6db, not the 400 Hz Inrad claims. I dont mind to have the filter a bit wider (the OEM filter is 500 Hz), but they should advertise the filter as 500 Hz not 400Hz. The filter has good attenuation in the stop band and does the job fine. I am happy with the performance! The reason for 4.5 score is because it is out of specs - 470 Hz vs the 400 Hz claimed on their site (I can accept few percent deviation from the specs but here we are talking about almost 20% difference. Another issue is the quality of the adapter boad. The filter comes installed on a small adapter board - the board has no solder mask, the plating of the tracks has tarnished, I had to remove alot of flux from the board and re-do some of the soldering before installing the filter. There are 2 caps and two jumper wires besides the actual filter and i've seen better soldering jobs. The tabs of the metal filter case were not soldered at all to their corresponding pads on the PCB. As i said the flux from the soldering was all over the board - it almost looked like somebody was learning how to solder on this adapter board (or maybe the filter was made towards the end of the work day :-). They used excessive amount of solder and yet one of the jumper wires had to be completly redone.
I just didnt expect to do all this to a factory made filter.
As i mentioned before, the performance is very good, better than I expected and better than the original Yaesu filter and I recommend it! I might even install the inrad filter switching board in my radio.

CT3FQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2007 12:09 Send this review to a friend
A spectacular filter  Time owned: more than 12 months
A year ago, and after exchange some e-mails with G3VXJ and ON4ADZ, I decided to order a Roofing filter to my Yaesu 1000MP MKV. After the installation I have immediately notice that the reception quality between the 2nd RX and the main receiver was bigger than before. I donít have measure equipment to check the +8dB diference of the Sherwood Engineering Inc measures in the Dynamic Range @ 2KHz but, the true is that on the air - and due to my North Africa geographical position - the QRO European stations sometimes blocked completely the weak signals from Asia. With this new filter, I can hear them much better, so I have not doubts that this Filter worth a five!

And what to say about the INRAD technical support? Iím in the middle of Atlantic and I had a problem that was solved in six days!! Thatís a true worldwide support! A six to INRAD!

AB1FY Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2007 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Must-have upgrade, especially for contesters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed 2 roofing filters for my two 1000Ds. Very easy installation with excellent instructions. I really cannot add much more that has not already been said in the previous glowing reviews: the Inrad filters are very effective upgrades that will noticeably improve your receiver performance. I can tell there is a huge difference in close-in strong signal performance. These filters really make a difference in contest and pile-up conditions.

I would also like to say that the new owners are great guys. Trey has been very helpful with my recent orders. It's great to see the company continue in the tradition of excellent customer service. Best of luck to Inrad!

WX0B Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2006 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Orion 600Hz Roofing Filter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After about a year with the Orion I, which I thought was great on CW, I finally got around to installing the 600hz roofing filter that I Purchased from INRAD. I can assure you that it made this already good radio, even better. Get this filter before they raise the prices.
Proof?.....how about 1356 qs in SSCW with a Sweep.
You do not hear guys off the side of this filter and the grunge, or ALC pumping is not detectable.

K9MQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2006 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Made a Great Radio even better!  Time owned: months
I recently bought a Inrad Roofing Filter and 1.8khz SSB filter from my FT1000MP Field. The filters have been fantastic. Being in a antenna restricted area, I am forced with less than optimal antennas, which some of them being in close proximity to RFI generators in the house. The roofing filter has helped block some of this broadband noise and actually made operating more enjoyable with a much lower noise floor. I had a delivery issue with USPS (appears that they lost my package in transit) and had to contact Inrad Customer Service. They were top notch with getting the issue resolved. Great Product and Great Company to deal with. Thank you George, Georgia, and Laurie