Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Amateur Radio Service / ARS Help

Reviews Summary for Amateur Radio Service / ARS
Amateur Radio Service / ARS Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $45 per hour
Description: We repair all major brands of Amateur Radio equipment (Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Alinco, etc.) in our Portland Oregon area service facility. Call (503) 554 8831 or email budgarside@juno.com.
More info: http://budgarside@juno.com

You can write your own review of the Amateur Radio Service / ARS.

KD7SKY Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Throrough, Fair, Honest, Quality Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
Apologies to Bud--my review is about 2 years late.

I had Bud go through an Icom IC-761 that I purchased online. As it turned out, the radio was in good shape and the only thing replaced was the meter lamp.

I still have the 761 and it's still going strong!

Be aware that Bud is a one man operation and has a lot of customers--for good reason! His workload may be light and you could get your radio back in a few weeks or less, or he could have a ton of clients ahead of you and it could take a few months to get your rig back. I was in the second category, by the way. But once you get your rig back you'll be glad you sent it to Bud.

I'll be sending all of my repair work to Bud in the future.

W6PJJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2013 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Quality workmanship and very well priced. Quick turnaround time  Time owned: more than 12 months

I have replaced my FT-847 Power Switch 3 times now... twice myself and at my age, those parts keep getting smaller all the time so I decided to send it out for repair.

I read some reviews about Amateur Radio Service and I must agree... Bud repaired the PWR switch and aligned the 847 & it works very well and after hooking it up to the HP-8656A sig generator, its right on the mark. Good workmanship very fair pricing and good turnaround time.

Don W6PJJ

N5PYH Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2012 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Great service, nice guy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Super nice and knows his stuff. You can't go wrong trusting Bud with your project.

NK7Z Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 04:58 Send this review to a friend
AL-82 Repair  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I asked Bud to replace the bandswitch in my AL-82... A short time later it was done, and has worked fine over the past 6 months. Price is good as well.

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood TS-930s  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My old Kenwood TS-830s needed an alignment and bud got it to work like new. Did a great job and I am amazed how well it works. Over the years it did not hear so well and It need to be brought back. Bud really made it sound new. I really enjoy using it again. Great service and in a timely manner. Glad someone can still do great work and be trusted. I would bring all my rigs to him when needed. Fantastic craftsmanship.

NK7Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2011 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice Service, nice man...  Time owned: months
Could not have asked for better service! Prompt, friendly, and reasonable rates. Also fun to chat with. I had him add an Inrad filter to my Pro III. All surface mount stuff... Works like a charm!

WA4HRK Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2010 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Just what I needed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could not have asked for better service. When I realized I did not have the time I needed to rework my Kenwood TS440SAT, I turned to Bud, and he did NOT let me down. He did a complete tune up and fixed all the little glitches that plague this radio. His price was VERY fair, and except for it taking SO long to get started on my rig, this transaction was perfect. Of course I am kidding - he was very honest going in that he was a little backed up, and I don't MIND someone being BUSY; that means they are GOOD. Of course, I'd rather have had the time and parts to do this myself, but since I couldn't do that, ARS was the perfect alternative.

K7HUW Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2010 18:04 Send this review to a friend
IF Output Repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The IF output stopped working on my Kenwood TS-850. Took it to Bud. Got the radio back and it works great. Plus he's a great guy.

He charged me 4 hours labor plus parts to replace every component in the IF circuit. Parts cost was less than $25.

I'm very happy with the cost and the repair.

He had the radio for 6 weeks, but I told him I wasn't in a big hurry so the time didn't matter much to me. I had my backup radio.

Next I'm taking my backup radio to him for a tune up.

N7BBC Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2010 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Good experience  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I called Bud on the phone and explained to him the problem I was having with my Kenwood TS-450SAT. My radio was inoperative, no TX no audio, partial display, in other words dead.

He asked me to ship it or bring it to him. I am only about two hours away so I drove to his shop on a Saturday morning to drop it off.

His shop is very clean and organized, thatís very important to me. In my opinion a shop with lots of unfinished rigs around does not give a good impression. No problem there.

He told me it was going to be about 4 weeks or more before he could get to it. He has a lot of work. He did not take that long to call me and explain the repairs and cost of it and to ask for the go ahead.

I picked up my TS-450SAT a few days later and I am very satisfied with the work.

I will use his service again any time.

Thanks Bud.

KE7SZC Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2009 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Fair and honest...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a few dealings with Bud, and I must say that I'm impressed with his honesty, took two radios in for repairs, neither was worth the cost of repairs for various reasons, this guy could've taken me to the cleaners, would reccomend his services, and will keep him in mind if needed again.