Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Amateur Radio Service / ARS Help

Reviews Summary for Amateur Radio Service / ARS
Amateur Radio Service / ARS Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $45 per hour
Description: We repair all major brands of Amateur Radio equipment (Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Alinco, etc.) in our Portland Oregon area service facility. Call (503) 554 8831 or email budgarside@juno.com.
More info: http://budgarside@juno.com

You can write your own review of the Amateur Radio Service / ARS.

VA7RAK Rating: 0/5 Sep 24, 2009 12:43 Send this review to a friend
VA7RAK  Time owned: more than 12 months
As previously reported this company repaired
my Yaesu and reported that it had a blown
final unit. Repair cost $419.52
Upon return it did not work. It now has been
repaired elsewhere and their report is that no
work was actually done on the final unit by ARS.
My advice is Give this company what they deserve,
A WIDE BERTH.

KD7YVV Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2009 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Exellent Service A+++  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent my Kenwood TS-430 down to Bud because the
display was flickering and the radio was making a
chattering sound with a loss of power.

Bud is a bit on the expensive side (at least for
me) but he's worth every penny and then some.
Not only did the radio come back looking like new,
the output power is now what it should be.
Granted, these radios are 25+ years old and parts
are bound to fail. From what I can see, the man
takes pride in his work, and no radio leaves his
shop unless it's working up to specs.
He even replaced a case screw that was missing,
made note of it on the receipt and didn't charge
me for it. Bud pays attention to detail, and
makes sure everything is done right.

My only regret is, I didn't send him this radio
when I first got it. I'll definitely use his
service again.

--KD7YVV, Kirkland, WA

WD0BC Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2009 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Quite a fellow this guy...  Time owned: months
Called him just this morning on a problem and he was very informative on the telephone.

My particular problem he detailed on the phone that most of the items involved just die from use. Most of these were more expensive to repair than the worth of the radio.

What a nice fella to tell you the truth and not just run through your wallet.

Recommend him and will contact next problem I have. IF it needs to go in he is the man.

Thank you SIR...

WD0BC

K7FO Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FT-1000MP developed a VCO problem after 5 years of use that was way beyond my expertise to repair. Yaesu tried twice to fix it but it failed again. I took it to Bud's shop for repair. He kept it for some time(I told him I was in no hurry...just please try to fix it). He did just that and it has been working great for another 5 years or so. Nice guy to chat with and a pleasure to do business with. Highly recommended!

W7LX Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2008 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Awesome service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my Kenwood TS-940s to Bud for repairs and an alignment. He did excellent work for a reasonable price. It only took about 4 weeks. He even helped me over the phone with another question/issue. I would highly recommend Bud.

W7VO Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2008 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Great work, easy to deal with  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I took my TS-820S to Bud for a "tune-up" after 30 years of service. I just picked it up and man, what a hot receiver it has now! I didn't know how bad it was until Bud aligned the unit.
He has the parts and service experience to make it right.

Great service at a fair price.

N1QL Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2008 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent...Someone you can trust!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my Yeasu FT-897D to Bud to be checked out because it was smoking. I had acquired this rig in a trade for my FT-990DC. After one week, it started smoking from the back. He tested my rig, tuner, and power supply. The only problem he could find was a defective dc power cord. He told me to purchase a new one from Yaesu.
The rates are reasonable and Bud is very friendly and helpful. Just don't be in a hurry. He took 5 months.

WA7MR Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2008 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Fixed my TS-120S  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I took my old flea market find TS-120S to Bud to have it gone over to fix its poor receive sensitivity and replace the bulbs. In short, he did a great job, at a very reasonable price. He DOES have a LOT of work coming in from all over the country, so the lead time is a lot longer than one would expect. (My TS-120S was 12 weeks). For a one man shop there is not much else he can do, short of turning away work. I just dropped off my workhorse TS-820S for the "Bud" treatment and I am sure I will not be dissappointed.

N2ERN Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2007 14:37 Send this review to a friend
work well done  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No question about it, Bud does great work.

He works first in, first out, so don't be in a hurry. My repair, Done perfectly, took 3 months. When questioned, Bud said that he doesn't even open the boxes until it's THEIR time to be opened. Fair enough.

Would I send another rig to him to repair? IN AN INSTANT.

W7WHY Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2007 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Super service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent my TS-450SAT to Bud for a repair. He did a great job as it is working better than ever.

He even called me on his dime to let me know the progress of the repair. I'd recommend him to anyone. 73
Tom W7WHY