Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Century 22 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Century 22
Ten-Tec Century 22 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $Discontinued, used 250 to 350 if
Description: CW QRP/QRO 80-10 TRANSCEIVER
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Century 22.

KU4QW Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2004 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Smooth, Simple, and Quite  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little jewel from Ten-Tec is a real pleaser. I've always had a love/hate relationship with Ten-Tec. I only live 30 minutes from the factory and have had some problems with their service dept. Never had a problem with sales or taking a tour of the factory. I've had a few PTO problems and a Scout that all left bad impressions on my ham radio choices. This radio has changed all that, the qsk from ten-tec I've always enjoyed and the filtering is a dream, with 40-30-15 meter in the line up (my most used favorite bands) with bonus of 80,20,10 meter this is a very strong radio. I get 20+ watts on all bands, and have no trouble working any station I hear. The receiver is so quite compaired to all the newer radios I've had, just doesn't have all the hiss and noise constant. I have the matching power supply and the built in xtal cal.
I thought I would miss the digital readout, but this radio is so easy to tune not really needed.

M0CUQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2004 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Pure CW fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in 1986 (some 12 years before I passed the code test!) and as a poor student, I often found myself day-dreaming about working HF, and the C22 was the rig of choice (it was all I could have afforded!). Well, a few years ago, I saw one for sale and decided to get it, just to see what it would have been like.

The radio more than surpassed my dreams, it is no 950SDX but it is FUN FUN FUN. This is pure radio, a direct conversion RX and a simple transmitter. The rig is very light (but quite large) and is easily moved for portable use. The controls are OK for fat fingers and comprise all you need to drive a radio. The RX current drain is reasonable for running on a 7Ah gel cell for many hours (hint removing the meter bulb is worth doing if running on battery power). Frequency readout is analogue and the crystal calibrator option is worth getting. As it is direct conversion you can hear the signal both sides of zero beat and can choose which sideband to hear using the offset control, this is REAL radio and will teach you lots about what your YaComWood radio is doing automatically. The audio filter (there is, of course, no IF!) is very good and constantly variable so you can easily set it for the conditions, or to personal taste.

The finals are a bit delicate, I have replaced mine once (a $10 job and very easy) and now limit the power to 10W. The optional PSU has a current limit (5A) that is supposed to protect the finals, but doesn't always get there in time.

Like all TenTecs the C22 has great QSK. Usefully the rig also covers 30m. As the rig was relatively cheap originally, second-hand the price is still good. If purchasing, check the drive cord in the PTO tuning as these stretch or wear, but they can be replaced relatively easily.

The two part clamshell case is easy to open (4 big screws in each half) and working on the rig is easy. In short a fun rig to use with useful power (20W), if you like the simplicity and purity of CW you will love the C22.

W5WLB Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2003 22:26 Send this review to a friend
A great cw rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my century 22 up and running and its a great little cw rig.It has all the cw bells and whistles you could want and 20 watts will work just about anyone.If you enjoy cw this rig will fit the bill.

NO6M Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2001 19:14 Send this review to a friend
GREAT LITTLE RIG  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best of both worlds QRP/QRO!!! After years of qrp, home brew and store bought, this is by far the best 80-10 fun machine that I have owned. (and yes it does have 30 meter warc). Receiver is super hot! Output is variable from miliwatts to about 25 watts key down on good finals. Hard to find so I paid a premium price, but well worth it. As with all Ten Tecs of this era the sting needs to be replaced if it hasn't already. Other than that it is a very simple radio to operate without all the fancy bell and whistles. Mine came with the optional keyer (highly recommend)and calibrator. Very light but a little to big for backpacking. Would make a great briefcase portable. Mines fine right on the desk next to my TS-570DG (it seems to hear just as good, just can't filter out qrm in pileups like the 570). I just feel lucky to have found such a well cared for unit. I have had the FT-7, several of the MFJ qrp models and homebrewed a few rock bound projects (and of course a slew of 100 wt. Hf rigs, but thats another story). If you can live without ssb (receives ssb fine just doesn't sent it) this is fun one to own!