Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | S.E.M. Transmatch Help

Reviews Summary for S.E.M. Transmatch
S.E.M. Transmatch Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: HF Antenna Tuner

You can write your own review of the S.E.M. Transmatch.

M0LSX Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2013 21:10 Send this review to a friend
A great buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted one of these & the reality has matched my expectations..It is used at home & on Special Event Stations & will tune almost anything. Even a patch lead & SWR meter on 10 & 20 meters (Don't ask.)
I have had my SEM for at least 10 years now, it has top band & ezi tune fitted, but I do not normally use either.
I have other tuners both manual & auto, including a KW ezi match & a Nevada TM-1000, but nothing has been used as much as the SEM.
The only down side to these ATU's is the fact that they do not handle more than 100 watts...And if buying one, look inside the case, as if they are over loaded they flash over.
The price for these is getting silly, but they are a great ATU..

G4VVQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2013 01:38 Send this review to a friend
Good HF Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Fred in uk, I have just acquired one of these S.E.M Transmatch units, it was of course second hand, made in the Isle of Man, when I got it, it would only tune on 40 and 60 mts, took cover off, found there was a connection broken off the big capacitor, due to loose screws and too much twiddling, soldered it back on the pcb, it was better but still wouldn't tune on 80 mts, then I noticed when I turned the tuning knob right round the capacitor plates were not going right in, so I loosened the grub screw and realigned the capacitor, all works ok now, it will tune balanced, unbalanced and long wire no problem, I use it with a 115 ft doublet, if you use unbalanced antenna or long wire you need to earth one of the balanced terminals, the one nearest the earth post. Drawbacks...mine has no by-pass switch, power is limited to 100 watts from 10 to 80 and 10 watts on 160. Mine has an ezitune function which needs a 12 volt dc supply to phono socket on the back, optional, the schimatic seems impossible to get hold of, so I have created one and put it on my qrz page...happy tuning, Fred g4vvq.

MI3LVZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2009 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My SEM is the basic model but still a great tuner, once you find the resonant point on the band your working, write down your findings for next time and away your go. Will tune a table leg, great job.

M3PMY Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2008 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Super, Lovely, smashing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I managed to buy my Tranzmatch from ebay, it has the 160+80-10 switch, the tuner has no other bells or whistles, but what a performer! it can fool my 897 that a 50ohms match is possible on 80-10m on a 450 ladder line fed 66ft doublet, no meters no mess, just tune her in, write down the tuner and coupling settings for the next time you visit the band of choice, now i can tune it quicker than some auto tuners!!

Get one! if you can.

cheers

Trev

GM0WEZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2008 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Quality Manx engineering  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you want a balanced tuner there are not many options - the Johnson Matchbox, the KW Eezeematch, and I think MFJ now offer a balanced tuner. There is also the SEM Tranzmatch, made on the Isle of Man, and widely available on British ebay.

Some of the SEM Tranzmatches have a dummy load, some have 160m coverage, some have the ezitune noise bridge circuit. Mine has all three. The most basic model seems to go for around 60, often more for the options.

It will tune end fed wires etc but it really shines when using balanced feeders to a doublet or loop. Tuning is quick and reproducible. It nearly always copes with 100watts - on a few settings it objects but these can be noted and avoided.

The direct setting bypasses the tuner. This is handy if you're tuning down to medium wave for broadcast stations, navtex, 500khz ham etc, as I find at these very low frequencies you get better results bypassing the tuner.

Ezitune needs 12v at 25mA (centre positive on mine) but isn't really worth having in my view.

Its quite big - bigger than the photos suggest at circa 8.5 x 4.5 inches. There is no integral meter.

The engineering is pretty good with a robust case and fairly well rated components.

The 'manual' (one sheet) is available on line at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.rabel/sem.htm

G6XCJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2008 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Do not exceed 50w. This ATU is magic and yes you dont need the Ezitune(TM) just listen to what ur tuning in, go for the loudest signal. You are set to go. Bought mine in 1980s and it really is worth the 200quid paid for it.

EXG8JCF Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2008 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent:Does the job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, I've just acquired an SEM Tranzmatch ATU on eBay-don't why people sell them, 'cos they seem to be a unique piece of kit ! - anyway, I have the model with the EZiTune feature with an RCA Phono socket on the back marked DC, can anyone tell me what the wiring is for this skt, ie is centre +(positive), I assume 12V DC input ? Also, on the front panel it has a 3 way switch marked Direct, Tuner, Load. I assume that Direct means bypass the ATU ie connect the aerial directly to the output terminals, Tuner means go thru the Tranzmatch, but what does Load mean ? Any help would be very much appreciated. The model has the 160/80-10 switch on the front and only has XMIT and ANT PL259's on the back - I've seen some which also have SO259's for 160, ie 4 SO259.

Once again many thank in advance for any help.

73s

Peter
(ex G8JCF - if you are interested in SDR's then please take a look at http://www.g8jcf.dyndns.org and the G8JCFSDR)

PS. I know this is more of a cry for help than a review, so if I've it got wrong please forgive my newbie ignorance

G7TOK Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2006 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Unsurpassed  Time owned: more than 12 months
This ATU is the dark horse of the amateur world.

It won't handle high power, stick to 100w and you'll be fine.

Examples vary some just have the two main controls, some have the 160m mod, some even have the "Ezitune" noise bridge circuit in,

mine has all three.

It will tune just about anything, no the antenna will not be any more efficient, but your silicon P.A. will be a lot happier.

None of that peaky T or L type nonsense, this turns my rather hap-hazard home-made OCF dipole into a broad-band antenna on every band, even 160m.
No MFJ, PALSTAR, CAPCO or what-have-you is going to do that.

Amazingly, it never really crossed the pond, so the colonials are almost totally unaware.
Yes, they've seen the odd Z type floating about, but nothing like this !
You don't even need a meter, you can tune your antenna by ear if you like, or just peer briefly at your S-meter and its done.

How much would Palstar or MFJ charge you for that eh ?

Unsurpassed.

ON4MGY Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2005 07:05 Send this review to a friend
great balanced tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a real balanced tuner, not an unbalanced tuner with a 4:1 balun in it.
It works very well and with this tuner and a dipole fed with open line one can work on all bands without any problem. Took me a lot of time to find one, paid it a lot of money but it is worth every cent.

ON4MGY Nic

M0MRR Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2004 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Manual ATU  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an S.E.M. transmatch ATU second hand after a bad experience with an MFJ product. This tuner was manafactured in the Isle of Man probably 20 years ago. I am ever so pleased. It tunes up my G5RV antenna / long wires, without any hassles at all. The components are all top quality. Its such a shame the modern manafactures don't take a leaf out of yester-year and go back to basic quality builds. I won't part with this tuner.