Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | MicroHam Micro Keyer Help

Reviews Summary for MicroHam Micro Keyer
MicroHam Micro Keyer Reviews: 51 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $225
Description: All in one multi mode USB interface and keyer (now includes one radio interface cable) CW/SSB & All Digital Modes
More info: http://www.microham-usa.com/Products/mk.html

You can write your own review of the MicroHam Micro Keyer.

DM1TT Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2006 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having used this for more than a year merely on CW I have only good experiences:
- support by email was prompt and accurate when I in the begin happened to need it (more because of my own silliness)
- updates have been provinding some improved functionality and have been very easy to install
- worked flawlessly when I changed my radio: just needed to buy a new cable set
- if you don't plan to do SO2R, this is the top choice

K3MQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2006 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Easy setup, Great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using other interfaces, I was pulling my hair out trying to get N1MM and Writelog configured to work with my IC-756 ProII. I spent MANY frustrating hours trying to get the programs functional. I saw the great reviews for MK on eHam, and placed my order. I had the unit within a few days.

The unit comes with pre-configured templates for most major programs. Within ONE hour, I had ALL my applications fully functional. Unbelievable! This was great!

If you are tired of screwing with the setups, get the MK! I really cannot say enough good things about the ease of setup and quality operation of the unit.

The support is exceptional. Joe Subich, W4TV, aswers questions and solves problem immediately. The MicroKeyer support could serve as a model for the way all businesses should operate.

WV1K Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2006 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Joe gives great customer assistance. I had a frozen screw that shipped on another product and he dealt with it for me and sent it back by the end of the week.

Easy to set up and very well organized. The Microkeyer leaves more room on top of the radio or your shelf than the serial product I was using. It's still good, but let's face it, it's yesterday's news.

Unfortunately I found out about Microham 2 years after buying my Rigblaster which lacks a memory keyer and ties up serial ports better used for packet or programming radios.

The templates made it easy to get it running with DX4WIN, MMTTY, and N1MM Logger as well as my radio.

Note that the MK Winkey can be run with the computer off and I power it from the FT1K MKV 13.8 V jack as suggested.

NM6E Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2006 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Magnifco!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one in May 2006 from MicroHam USA and had it in less than a week.

I ordered the Micro Keyer with the cables for my IC-7800 and also ordered the MicroHam BAND DECODER.

As others have pointed out, micro router software and the templates are a TIME SAVER!

Once I got the MH Band Decoder working with tracking the IC-7800, the Micro Keyer connects to the Band Decoder that then connects to the CI-V port on the IC-7800.

In a matter of a couple of hours, I had all my Logging programs working with the Micro Keyer
WriteLog V10, LOGic Ver 8.0, TRX-Manager, DIGIPAN, MMTTY.

Then I started with implementing the K1EL chip functionality on the various programs, SUPERB!

I used the Micro Keyer K1EL Chip in a couple of recent CW contests and the Micro Keyer worked superbly. The MK along with Micro Ham Band Decoder (antenna selector) are an efficient combination for automating your station and getting onthe digital modes with along with great CW generation with the K1El and Rig Control.

The two are a great match.

Now I need to work on setting up the station for an SO2R effort and try out the Micro Ham SO2R combo box!

Again, excellent support and the micro router/templates make interfacing a super breeze.

Javier NM6E

N4PJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2006 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Last year I purchased a RigExpertPlus, primarily because they advertised the inclusion of the K1EL WinKey chip. Once I started using it, however, I discovered it (a) didn't work properly and (b) the support crew confessed they weren't really ready for prime time WinKey support!

I recently purchased the microKEYER to replace the REP. What a change! Not only does the WinKey portion function as advertised (and expected), but the use of templates by microHAM for setup of various applications was enormously helpful. The number of permutations for COM ports, DTR, RTS and other such items, can get very cumbersome. Many major applications (logging and contest programs) have supporting templates you can load (and save as presets) and even have major recommendations for various settings.

I have seldom seen such a multitude of possibilities narrowed down so easily with their supporting software/drivers for the microKEYER.

After some very minor stumbling, I'm back on the air with keyboard CW support (the trusty paddles are wired in parallel), RTTY and PSK. An absolutely awesome interface and a dynamite user manual/guide.

W7GG Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2006 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Superior product in all respects!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great product, professional grade hardware, supurb documentation and support! Congrats
to Jozef, OM7ZZ and his team for setting a very high standard for after market HR products.
de Bob, W7GG, AI7B, WW7OR

OH2BF Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2006 10:04 Send this review to a friend
All I needed  Time owned: more than 12 months
This gem replaced a lot of wire and different boxes. The primary reason to by it was the USB interface with multiple com ports. I mostly work CW but the digimode possibility makes RTTY or PSK etc easy as well.

DX4Win 7.2 supports Winkey and that made my dreams come true. Winkey is the ONLY cw keyer available today which lets you choose Ultimatic mode with dot (or dash) priority. After 43 years with dot priority it is not easy to learn iambic...

The voice keyer with N1MM is not bad either, neither the possibility to key your linear safely.

Support is first class second to none.

N3WT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2006 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Service above and beyond  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Microkeyer for approx. 1.5 years with no problems. It does everything as advertised and as previously stated on reviews. However, I finally had a possible problem. I e-mailed the support line on a Sunday morning. Within the hour, on a Sunday, I had a reply from Joe, W4TV, the USA distributor. Joe ask a few questions about the syptoms, and Joe told me exactly what to check. Take some voltage readings and continuity checks. A few e-mails later, we found the problem with one of my connections that had gone bad for the CAT control of the rig. All of this on a Sunday!.

To top off the great service from Joe, I received an e-mail first thing Monday morning from Jozef, OM7ZZ, the big cheese, to make sure everything was resolved and gave me a few more suggestions. I replied to Jozef that it was already resolved.

The products that Microham offers are complicated products that require careful configuration and connections. With Microham's support, you can't go wrong.

W4HWD Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2006 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Nothing easier or better!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After about a 12 year hiatus from the digital modes, I decided that I'd had enough of just talking and CW and wanted to get back on RTTY. I looked around and was instantly drawn to the microKEYER. I have used MFJ TNCs in the past and while they're OK, they're not nearly as versatile as a flexible interface such as the microKEYER. I got it a couple weeks ago, hooked it up to my Kenwood 850 with the pre-made cable I bought (I'm over that building stuff crap so I bought one pre-made), loaded the software and after getting a copy of MMTTY off the internet voila! I was back on RTTY! I though that was all I wanted, until I went to digipan.com and got a copy of the PSK software and OH - MY - GOSH what is this! PSK is the most mind boggling thing I have see in a while! I sit here and watch 12+ DX QSOs going on and another 5 or 6 DX stations calling CQ - ALL AT ONCE! I just point-click and pick the one I want to work and put out a call - it's like shooting fish in a barrel! 14 DX QSOs in one hour! My digital experience back 12+ years ago was nothing compared to this! Another thing I noticed about the microKEYER is it is actually cheaper than many of the hardware-based TNCs availabe now. I would not waste my money on the others - this thing is a champ! If you ain't got a microHAM microKEYER, GET ONE!

W9OL Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2006 11:20 Send this review to a friend
instant versatility  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After some help from Joe, I was able to reconfigure the router to provide this capability.
I had DXBase2006 on my secondary computer watching for any unconfirmed band/mode cluster spots.

I had Writelog using the MMTTY add-in module running on the main monitor.

Both programs were being fed cluster spots from ARUser.

The active preset was my Writelog preset.

Both programs could control the rig by choosing the correct preset.

So when a cluster spot sounded an alarm on DXBase for a band/mode I needed, I simply clicked on the DXBase preset, clicked on the cluster spot which switched my rig from 20 meter FSK to 30 meter cw, hit my keypad cw message, worked and logged him and switched back to the Writelog Preset and continued working BARTG.

My only inconvience is that my rotor control which is on a legacy comport card had to be disabled in DXBase so that it could be controlled by Writelog.

What a great product, no cables to switch, no com port setting to play with.

This is the way to go for a fully automated station control.

AND DID I SAY???? Their support is fantastic.