Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | Datong Automatic R.F. Speech Processor Help

Reviews Summary for Datong Automatic R.F. Speech Processor
Datong Automatic R.F. Speech Processor Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: An English, high-quality, mic-level speech processor. This "RF" speech processor upconverts microphone audio to around 455 KHz for proper clipping and filtering, and then downcoverts the RF back to audio for input to a transmitter or transceiver. The highly effective RF processor offers mic level input and output adjustments and indicators, such as low and high Z mic input matching selection, mic input signal level indications of "LO" and "OK", and a built-in tone generator for proper mic-level audio output adjustment. It also features features fixed clipping levels of OFF, 0, 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30 dB.

You can write your own review of the Datong Automatic R.F. Speech Processor.

IZ1FKS Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2014 10:49 Send this review to a friend
works with 756 pro 2  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using it for a few mounths, now I am able to enhance the average rf power output I found low on this rig (in comparison with my old ic-745 for example). I switched off the internal COMP. Since Datong ASP is built to be used with a dynamic microphone I modified it to use the icom hm-12. Anyway I have to selected high impedence on Rin selector in order to reduce the too loud signal coming form a electret condeser mic. Probably an attenuator should be designed and place i front of the asp input. Pay attention to ground loop with this unit, use battery or a dc supply different from the rig one (the rig ground and Datong ASP grounds need to be separated). If external power supply is used I suggest to change the rear dc jack connector with a connector adequate for supply in order to avoid polarity inversion (I damaged the rig mic input due to dc on jack)

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2004 04:10 Send this review to a friend
Quality Processor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned two of these units way back in the eighties, sold the first then regretted parting with it. I still have the second for use on rigs that don't have, or have poor speech processing capabilities. I had a problem with RF feedback at one time, caused by a power supply ground loop. So I used a length of mini coax running from the PSU to the jack plug, but didn't connect the shield at the plug end, and this, breaking the loop, cured the problem completly. I think settings 6 & 12 would have been enough for local chat/DX & DX+QRM respectively, I can't recall using any other. It works well with a variety of mics, dynamic being best, keeping background noise to a minimum, my modified MC-90 (HQ Amplified) was brilliant. The quality of construction typical Datong - outstanding! Like my FL3 a unit worth keeping - highly recommended.

NL7W Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2004 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Super Effective Speech Processor  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like other Datong ham radio products, it exceeded my initial expectations. I have noticed the unit does require approximately 0.5 to 1 second of voice to properly level out the processing and/or gain level. Once that is established, the clipping really makes a difference. Personally, I have found the 6 dB level quite useful for most all work on HF SSB. The 12 dB level could be used for DX'ing and pileups, but it verges on being just too harsh as I listen to my rig's great monitor circuit. Higher levels are effective, but unpleasant.

IMHO, this product outperforms today’s audio and DSP compressors. It is (was) a quality English product. Overall, it completes well against an American made Vomax split band RF processor from the same period.

73.