Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Corsair II Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Corsair II
Ten-Tec Corsair II Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $350.00
Description: Single conversion 9band tcvr, 16-pole crystal ladder filtering
More info: http://www.tentec.com/Amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Corsair II.

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2017 05:39 Send this review to a friend
super cw rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned a Corsair 2 for a time and not being satisfied with its performance it was sent to the Radiosmith for alignment and other repairs. Being a fan of vintage Ten Tec rigs for CW I now see why so many operators rave that this is the best analog rig ever manufactured. Its American built and so user friendly plus fun. Not much SSB here with it but for CW I can say its one excellent rig. The sound of CW from a Ten Tec is so soothing. Long live Ten Tec! Smiley wb4edb

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2016 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Super!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Funny, although I have had some VERY highly rated rigs in the shack along side the Corsair II, this is the one I usually reach to turn on. It just sounds so GOOD. When conditions are tough, I flick the switch on the Autek QF-1A, and if they get REAL bad, I push the button on the Datong FL-3. Digging out weak ones using this combination is intuitive, and effective. It really could serve as my only HF rig, but I do like to have something with General Coverage receive. The TenTec rigs have become big bargains in the market with the recent change of ownership again. Long live TT!

KD8OTT Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Scratching my head wondering why Ten Tec stopped make this radio and the Triton. New isn't always the best. Another great radio that is basic and easy to use. Ten Tec wake up please. Another great CW radio and just as good on SSB. Vintage Ten Tec is where I am buying from now on.

GM0HUU Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2013 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Lovely old school HF rig.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a long break from amateur radio of 15 years, I decided to get back on air. Over the years, every time I looked at modern rigs with their arrays of multi-function buttons & knobs, I couldn't be bothered with them. Back in the late 80s, I had a Corsair II from new and always liked it (and always regretted selling it). So, being an old school CW guy who likes a proper radio with single function analogue controls, it was only natural I should get another one of these. You don't see these rigs for sale too often in the UK, so when I got the chance to buy a good example with a full deck of XTAL filters and matching PSU, I snapped it up.

I have only had it for a few weeks and I can't leave it alone. Every time I get a spare 10 minutes, I am on the bands and the Corsair II is everything I remember it to be. Switch in the 250Hz filter and it doesn't matter how much adjacent QRM there is - it's like having a private channel for a CW QSO!

Also, I like the fact that I can open it up and fix it or mod it if I ever need to.

Don't think I will part with this one.

73, Steve (GM0HUU).

VK3LBT Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2013 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Good old performer.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned my Corsair 2 for about 8 weeks and have given it a good run and comparison with an Orion 2 and a FT847 and I must admit I really like this transceiver. The receiver and the adjustable PBT are a delight to use. The CS2 now is my mainstay on 40 & 80. The audio reports have been very good with what ever microphone I use with one exception , a Heil GM5 Goldline which seems not to deliver quite the quality I am after.
I have settled on a Shure 444 which seems to give the punch and clarity I require. This is a basic unit to operate and it does not have all the gimmicks and gadgets of the current generation of transceivers, however on air it sounds and receives as good as the high flying mega dollar transceivers.

The unit I have has been well loved and is in beautiful condition easily capable of 100++ watts. Stability wise as with all PTO systems they can be touchy but I have found that after some warm up time and utilizing the QSK the unit remains stable.
This is my fourth TT transceiver and this is certainly a delight to use and doesn't require a degree in physics to operate. The only minor draw back is the size of the analog meter, but this just encourages me to wear my glasses.

In conclusion, a bloody good radio and with lots of TLC will outlast some of the current transceivers.

Cheers - Barry VK3LBT.

N1EU Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 05:32 Send this review to a friend
My favorite HF Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got a K3, Orion and Corsair II on my operating desk and the Corsair is what I use most of the time. Its receiver simply sounds better and performs better than the newer radios. If you can live without a computer interface, fancy display, and all the useless dribble on modern radios, it can't be beat. It's an aging radio and occasionally needs a little TLC, but it's amazingly easy to work on. I've done extensive modifications, described at corsair.wikidot.com, but it's a fine radio even in its stock form.

KG8LB Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 05:00 Send this review to a friend
A real fine radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one of these 10 years ago , never forgot just how fine a rig it is. A good friend and fellow ham passed away 5 years ago leaving his Ten Ten gear behind. Just a few days ago his wife called and asked if I could help her fined his radios a new home . Went through all the gear and sure enough all the Ten Tec gear was working as new . When I got to the Corsair II it all came back . After all those years and quite a few Icoms and Yaesu radios the Corsair II was totally refreshing . The fabulous receiver with the extremely low noise and fine sensitivity are quite welcome indeed. The stability thing is a non-issue . This one is quite stable. It doesn't matter if a station stays in the same spot if you can't hear it anyhow! So nice to have a radio again with real controls, not multiple presses of a certain key followed by menu scrolling. I bought the Corsair II for myself and this one is a keeper.

KV9L Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2011 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig until I sent it to TT  Time owned: more than 12 months
The rig was fantastic had about one of the nice quality receivers I have ever had. I just loved this rig. I thought I would do it a favor and send it back to TT to have them go over it and realign everything. Needless to say a month later it came back in bad shape. I sent it back yet another time and it still wasn't even close to begin what it was before I sent it in.

Needless to say the whole experience put a bad taste in my mouth as my prized Corsair II was now tainted. If I ever find one in the right condition and price I may consider getting another one but will never send it back to the factory.

AA6ZE Rating: 3/5 Jan 28, 2011 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Not good gear  Time owned: more than 12 months

Bought mine as a second owner in 1990. Worked fine for a few years then developed a number of issues. Bad transistors in the logic board that would cause the display to unlock on 17 meters. Cold solder joints in the display itself. Warble in the side tone. I have fixed most, but I hardly use it because the pto now drifts more than my 20 year older tube rigs. Am not going to waste more time and money on it. Good rig with excellent qsk when purchased but didn't age gracefully.Component and build quality not as good as imported rigs of the same era, such as the hybrids.Be careful when buying on the second hand market

WA4HKY Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2010 19:02 Send this review to a friend
A True Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About 15 years ago- A friend handed me some cash and said, "Go to the Asheville, NC hamfest and find me a rig." Knowing he loved CW, I came back with a mint Corsair II. He used it exclusively on 80m and 40m CW until it started acting up. Unwilling to send it to Ten-Tec for a much needed alignment- He covered it up and set it on a shelf for the last 10 years.

Recently- I bought it for an embarrassingly low price :-)

A few days later- Another ham and myself popped off the covers, re-tightened all boards, installed an S-meter bulb, grabbed some De-Oxit and started spraying away. Viola! The display came back. No more scratchy pots and a receiver that is so good it is unfair. Quiet is an understatement. Signals on 20m seem to effortlessly appear with clarity.

And stability? No issues here.

I have postponed rebuilding the PTO because all seems fine for now.

Full output is slightly less than 100w. Good enough.

On the air? Everyone loves the audio with a D-104M6. Blows away my Yaesu FT-901DM from the same era.

I am very satisfied with the Corsair II. Definitely a benchmark rig for Ten-Tec and any proud owner.

Two thumbs up.