Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Corsair II Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Corsair II
Ten-Tec Corsair II Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $350.00
Description: Single conversion 9band tcvr, 16-pole crystal ladder filtering
More info: http://www.tentec.com/Amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Corsair II.

KF8HW Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2009 14:28 Send this review to a friend
I'm taking mine to the grave!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this fine rig from a second owner. Both him and the first owner each had it for many years and agonized over selling it. They went for newer rigs. This rig is the quietest I have ever had the pleasure of running, and is very sensitive. This, according to the evaluation numbers, is the best analog transceiver ever produced regarding sensitivity and noise ratio. I have no reason to dispute that. Simple to operate, a real workhorse, a rig I will not part with. Got all the filters and it is a blast to operate. And you know, I can still get PARTS AND SERVICE for this rig that has been produced back in the mid-80's, how about that? Ten Tec does a great job and they won me over - I have an Orion II now. Compare that to my previous rig - Yaesu FT-100 MP Mark 5 - that I couldn't get critical parts for, (like so many other owners) a rig that was their flagship rig just a couple years ago. Wow... no more of that for me. Hang onto it if you have a Corsair II, get one if you don't!

LA2MOA Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2009 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig for the CW "feinschmecker"  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being a ham for almost 19 years, I have'd the pleasure of playing with most highend radios available. I've been the owner of numbers of Icom's, Kenwood's and Yaesu's, the whole Elecraft product line (except the K3) and beleive me - there is not many rigs that hold up against the Corsair II, when it comes to user simplicity and CW-performance. This includes classic performers like the TS-850S, TS-930S, the Omni VI (opt 1) and the K2 from Elecraft. The Corsair II is so quiet, CW stations just pops out of "nothing". It's truly an amazing radio. Of course, the Corsair II got it's issues, just like most other rigs - but most problems can be solved by the owner. I've got the 16 pole 500Hz filter and the 250Hz Inrad installed in my C2. I also got the external VFO. Radios come and go - but the Corsair II will definetely remain in my shack, for MANY years to come (i. e. it's not for sale, at ANY price). If you find one of these gems for sale, and it appears to be in good condition - buy it before somebody else does. You will not regret it! Besides, who regrets falling in love? ;)

N0CGF Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2008 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Perfomance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought used from N4MZ in February of 2002.
Receiver: One of the BEST I have ever used.
Transmitter: No internal antenna tuner needed at band edges.
It was obvious that the Corsair performance was one that the Engineering Design Team at Ten Tec was PROUD of.
Ten Tec Support enables many MANY years of Service
This Corsair Rig will NEVER be sold...
73's Dennis N0CGF

K4SIG Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2008 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Modern Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Corsair II for about 5 to 10 years.Great quiet receiver and always good tx audio reports.I had mine connected to my pc soundcard input once and the soundcard went south and took the audio output of the Corsair with it. I repaired the radio board myself because this gem uses discrete dip ic's and not surface mount technology. How many radios out there could you repair yourself ? It also has a metal(aluminum) front. I also have the remote VFO and dual receive,pretty impressive for a 20 plus year old radio.

W2DWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Hot Receive!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this radio about 3 months and surprisingly it has one hot receive that Ten Tec is famous for. No bells and whistles it doesn't even have memory, not that I use the memory portion on any of my HF rigs. This is a great CW radio and have gotten comments on the audio too. It just fun radio to operate.

WA2ASQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 05:15 Send this review to a friend
The best CW pto rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig for years and I will never sell it, at any price. It has no bells and whistles, no memories, no whiz bang "stuff" but man can this rig hear. The CW signals pop out of the noise like no other radio. I have used some better radios but they were only some old legends like tube Collins stuff. Simple, basic radio at the best, please do not be amazed when your modern rig cannot hear what the Corsair 2 can hear, the Corsair 2 is simply a wonderful radio. It has served me well for many years, I will put it up against any rig (including other Ten Tecs) at any price. Not for sale for any price.

W9ZX Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2007 21:16 Send this review to a friend
nice for that era  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran a Corsair II for many years. Mine performed well with one annoying characteristic. I use VOX and every time the VOX dropped out it made a very loud pop in the speaker. Tentec was never able to give me any help on fixing it. Otherwise, in its day, I felt it was an excellent receiver. It drifted some but so did the Kenwood and Yaesu rigs of that period.

KE6YX Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 16:54 Send this review to a friend
This is a CW operators dream.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just acquired a Ten Tec Corsair II to replace my trusty Kenwood TS130S. I had a Ten Tec Argonaught V about three years ago, and while it was a nice rig, I was never able to get used to the menus. I am a casual operator, and I would come back to the rig having not used it for awhile, and not remember how to operate it. The Corsair seems to have all the attributes I desired in the Argo, but without the menus. I like the big knobs, with spacing for big hands.

When I received this rig, the receiver seemed to be very weak, but the folks at Ten Tec corrected the problem, and now it is very hot

I installed a 500 HZ CW filter, and stuffed a piece of cardboard in the amp relay to kill the click. I also rebuilt the PTO. I could have been harder on the guy that sold the rig to me, but it was not a very difficult job. I assembled it with the new parts from the Ten Tec kit, and used some Phil grease that I keep on hand for servicing my bicycles. The PTO is very smooth now.

What distinguishes this transceiver from others in my mind is the layout of the controls. The ergonomics are as close to perfect as it can get. There are no dual purpose or concentric controls. Same for the switches. All the controls that one needs to work with during a QSO are neatly arraigned on the LH side of the rig in the order in which they will probably be used, and the stuff that is needed for initial startup on the right. Even if the rig did not have such a great receiver, the control layout alone would make it a winner.

As computers continue to make their way into everyday life, there is a trend on the part of all equipment manufactures to see just how many functions they can stuff into each device while at the same time trying to make the footprint as small as possible. What we end up with is equipment that is over complex, with controls that are easy to bump, or get accidentally adjusted. Its kind of like having a 100 blade Swiss Army knife when all you want to do is whittle a bit. All you need to do is look at the controls on Microwave ovens, VCRs, and blenders for example.

In case you are thinking that I am some kind of old guy that hates new technology, that is far from the truth. I also own a new Icom 746-Pro, which I use for digital modes. The Icom just proves what I am saying. The controls are all over the place in a really dumb order.

If you are looking for a straight forward rig that is a CW operators dream, this is the one to buy.

I am a happy camper

David KE6YX

K3BO Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2007 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Luv it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my CorsairII since 1989. . Just a good solid radio that is a pleasure to use and listen to. I love the sound of this rig. My only problem has been the PTO but I eliminated the constant PTO rebuiding by constructing an outboard DDS/VCO. Now, I got digital tuning that is on par with the new stuff.

GM0ELP Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2006 02:28 Send this review to a friend
Simply Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Corsair II and was pleasantly surprised. I am predominantly a CW operator and have whittled down my favourite trx to IC-751A/FT1000MP MkV/Elecraft K2. When the corsair was switched against these trx into a doublet on 10m, I found the corsair to be better than the others on rx. By better I mean lower rx noise floor meaning better discernable copy in weak signal condx. It's simple to use with all the features you need and as a result I really have fun using it.
I rigged up a small switch box to allow the use of the internal memory keyer and although I had to substitute a 10uF electrolitic cap it seemed to work just fine.
The only bad things I can mention are a 'kiddies toy' sidetone note and a fairly useless NB. In my opinion though these negatives are of a minor nature compared to the positives.
I'm so taken by this trx that in future I think I'll start moving in a Ten Tec direction.

GM0ELP