Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Corsair II Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Corsair II
Ten-Tec Corsair II Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $350.00
Description: Single conversion 9band tcvr, 16-pole crystal ladder filtering
More info: http://www.tentec.com/Amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Corsair II.

G4FFD Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2009 00:57 Send this review to a friend
Telegraphists delight!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this new in 1986 for CW operating. It has never disappointed. Well-designed by proper radio engineers for amateur use and one of a long line of innovative transceivers. The only common problem is the hardening of the grease in the PTO (VFO). I have just rebuilt mine without new parts, using modern high-end bike grease. Make sure you polish the bearings and look for pitting. Sharp-cut hand built filters, effective pass-band tuning and quiet unfussy receiver

KC8QMF Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2009 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Still a great CW rig!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My corsair 2 is from late 1986 and is still my favorite CW rig. I have tried alot of the other radios, but with all the filters and the PBT it just pulls out the weak ones better. My Ten Tec Omni 6 plus is still not as quiet as the C2.
The radio does have some faults,like when I transmit voice the comments say I'm off freq. somtimes. Can't say why it does this.
It went back to the factory for tune-up and came back ok to me. But the notch filter when put in with 250hz filter,and PBT to my ears just can't be topped. In the used market still a great buy and Ten Tec will still service them gladly for you.
I don't plan on giving mine up for awhile.
Mkie/KC8QMF

K1UQB Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2009 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Better than Jupiter RX  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thinking of upgrading, I called Ten-Tec to get the RX specs. of the new Jupiter. I told then I was coming from a Corsair II and this was their reply: "The Jupiter is not the radio for you as it does not meet the receiver performance that you currently have."

Sherwood Engineering still lists the Corsair in the top 15, stock radios for RX. The Omni VII is only 6 positions above the Corsair; not good enough to justify spending $2,600 to $3,000 for the new Omni VII.

The Orion I and II occupy the 4th and 3rd spot, respectfully, but If one was inclined to spend that kind of money, it would be better spent, in my opinion, on the number two spot, Flex 5000A.

The Corsair II performs better than 90 percent of the newer hot-shot rigs costing thousands more than the current Corsair II resale value. I guess bells & whistles (eye-candy) sell better to the K-MART Blue-light Special crowd than does operational reliability, usefulness, and effectiveness.

KF8HW Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2009 14:28 Send this review to a friend
I'm taking mine to the grave!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this fine rig from a second owner. Both him and the first owner each had it for many years and agonized over selling it. They went for newer rigs. This rig is the quietest I have ever had the pleasure of running, and is very sensitive. This, according to the evaluation numbers, is the best analog transceiver ever produced regarding sensitivity and noise ratio. I have no reason to dispute that. Simple to operate, a real workhorse, a rig I will not part with. Got all the filters and it is a blast to operate. And you know, I can still get PARTS AND SERVICE for this rig that has been produced back in the mid-80's, how about that? Ten Tec does a great job and they won me over - I have an Orion II now. Compare that to my previous rig - Yaesu FT-100 MP Mark 5 - that I couldn't get critical parts for, (like so many other owners) a rig that was their flagship rig just a couple years ago. Wow... no more of that for me. Hang onto it if you have a Corsair II, get one if you don't!

LA2MOA Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2009 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig for the CW "feinschmecker"  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being a ham for almost 19 years, I have'd the pleasure of playing with most highend radios available. I've been the owner of numbers of Icom's, Kenwood's and Yaesu's, the whole Elecraft product line (except the K3) and beleive me - there is not many rigs that hold up against the Corsair II, when it comes to user simplicity and CW-performance. This includes classic performers like the TS-850S, TS-930S, the Omni VI (opt 1) and the K2 from Elecraft. The Corsair II is so quiet, CW stations just pops out of "nothing". It's truly an amazing radio. Of course, the Corsair II got it's issues, just like most other rigs - but most problems can be solved by the owner. I've got the 16 pole 500Hz filter and the 250Hz Inrad installed in my C2. I also got the external VFO. Radios come and go - but the Corsair II will definetely remain in my shack, for MANY years to come (i. e. it's not for sale, at ANY price). If you find one of these gems for sale, and it appears to be in good condition - buy it before somebody else does. You will not regret it! Besides, who regrets falling in love? ;)

N0CGF Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2008 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Perfomance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought used from N4MZ in February of 2002.
Receiver: One of the BEST I have ever used.
Transmitter: No internal antenna tuner needed at band edges.
It was obvious that the Corsair performance was one that the Engineering Design Team at Ten Tec was PROUD of.
Ten Tec Support enables many MANY years of Service
This Corsair Rig will NEVER be sold...
73's Dennis N0CGF

K4SIG Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2008 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Modern Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Corsair II for about 5 to 10 years.Great quiet receiver and always good tx audio reports.I had mine connected to my pc soundcard input once and the soundcard went south and took the audio output of the Corsair with it. I repaired the radio board myself because this gem uses discrete dip ic's and not surface mount technology. How many radios out there could you repair yourself ? It also has a metal(aluminum) front. I also have the remote VFO and dual receive,pretty impressive for a 20 plus year old radio.

W2DWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Hot Receive!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this radio about 3 months and surprisingly it has one hot receive that Ten Tec is famous for. No bells and whistles it doesn't even have memory, not that I use the memory portion on any of my HF rigs. This is a great CW radio and have gotten comments on the audio too. It just fun radio to operate.

WA2ASQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 05:15 Send this review to a friend
The best CW pto rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig for years and I will never sell it, at any price. It has no bells and whistles, no memories, no whiz bang "stuff" but man can this rig hear. The CW signals pop out of the noise like no other radio. I have used some better radios but they were only some old legends like tube Collins stuff. Simple, basic radio at the best, please do not be amazed when your modern rig cannot hear what the Corsair 2 can hear, the Corsair 2 is simply a wonderful radio. It has served me well for many years, I will put it up against any rig (including other Ten Tecs) at any price. Not for sale for any price.

W9ZX Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2007 21:16 Send this review to a friend
nice for that era  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran a Corsair II for many years. Mine performed well with one annoying characteristic. I use VOX and every time the VOX dropped out it made a very loud pop in the speaker. Tentec was never able to give me any help on fixing it. Otherwise, in its day, I felt it was an excellent receiver. It drifted some but so did the Kenwood and Yaesu rigs of that period.