Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Omni VI+ Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni VI+
Ten-Tec Omni VI+ Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $2585.
Description: Omni-VI Plus - unmatched receiver performance
More info: http://www.tentec.com/TT564.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni VI+.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2017 07:42 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love mine
Can find no faults

W9BB Rating: 3/5 Feb 18, 2017 18:16 Send this review to a friend
So-So- Needs Improvement  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had some TT"s in the past, picked up a Omni VI plus Opt 3. The radio's operation has been discussed. The build of the radio is something less then desireable.

My buttons were nearly flush with front panel making it difficult to engage the functions. The TUNE control rocked side to side and you had to hit it dead center. The chassis is cheap aluminum to say the least and poor, very poor board/electrical connectors internally. The ergonomics of the TT radios is a bit odd to me, as compared to the rice boxes which to me, for the most part, are far superior.

All in all, to me, from a user experience, I won't get another one again any time soon, that is, if they ever come back under new management. My last attempt to "like" TT products. Sorry.

KZ4B Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2016 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Great SSB (& CW) Rig with correct filters and audio mod.  Time owned: more than 12 months
As the very satisfied owner of three Ten-Tec TITAN I (Model 425 using 2 X 3CX800A7 Ceramic Triodes) Linear Amplifiers--it was only logical to purchase at least one matching OMNI 6+ Transceiver. About five years ago I obtained a ("loaded" filter-wise) OMNI 6+ --but was immediately disappointed with the poor audio quality in both SSB transmit and receive. After replacing ALL of the original Ten-Tec (un-shielded "home-brew" looking) cascaded monolithic filters mounted on open boards at the Ten-Tec Factory with higher quality INRAD Filters of the same bandwidth along with the $15 INRAD OMNI 6 Audio Mod Kit the audio quality was remarkably improved. Numerous radio contacts familiar with the OMNI 6+ remarked without prodding that mine was the best sounding 6+ they had ever worked. Received audio was now on par with the best sounding Yaekensu rigs. Back before INRAD was bought by VIBROPLEX there was a more extensive write-up on the INRAD Website regarding OMNI 5 or 6 Filter options that stated that one (and only one) "stock" Ten-Tec sourced SSB Filter in particular had a very distorted response curve--but I don't recall which one!

I also added the INRAD 2400 HZ Roofing Filter Option selected by the N1 Button with a similer width filter selected by the N2 Button. According to INRAD this yields a 85 DB 3rd Order Dynamic Range at 2 KHZ offset and a 95 DB 3rd Order Dynamic Range at 5 KHZ offset.

Along with the top-quality "stock" Audio DSP Filtering in the 6+ one gets the best available (at any price) crystal bandwidth filtering (think Yeasu FT-2000 as similar) in an attractive transceiver with superb ergonomics!

My only gripe is that the OMNI 6+ is ham-band only and lacks any AM transmit capability. At the time the OMNI 6+ was designed, Ten-Tec was still optimizing CW performance over all else with even SSB being an afterthought.

If CW is your only interest--then forget everything above EXCEPT for the INRAD Roofing Filter which is available in a CW optimum 600 HZ Bandwidth.

WB4EJZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2013 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Super Rig!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just acquired the OMNI VI+ and external speaker this week - what a rig! Receiver performance is exemplary - quiet and sensitive. Mine has all the filter slots stuffed and has the Inrad audio mod. I appreciate the clean and uncluttered panel and absence of endless menus. Only capability I'd add would be general coverage and an internal tuner. This one's a keeper!

N4LCD Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2012 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Great CW rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My third Tentec rig in 28 years is a used Omni VI Plus I bought 3 months ago. Very easy to use large form factor with lots of knobs and buttons instead of layers of menus...thank you. The manual is excellent and the yahoo group is there if needed. I soldered up a serial cable per the pin outs in the manual and computer logging is a breeze. I haven't plugged in the mic yet so I can't comment on SSB, and I haven't used any of the digital modes other than the original digital mode, CW, on 40 meters only so far, for which it works fabulously. I really like the feel and sound of it. Last four rigs were an Icom IC-756 Pro II, an Elecraft K2/100, an Elecraft K3/100, and a Kenwood TS-590S, all excellent rigs, but the last three of the four had very small form factors and more menus than I wanted.
Paul N4LCD

W3ULS Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2011 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig, Simple to Use  Time owned: more than 12 months

Following are my personal observations after extensive listening over the weekend on 20 meters in the ARRL CW Sweepstakes. Radios used: an
OMNI VI Plus, a Mark V Field (with INRAD roofing filter mod) and a new Icom IC-7410.

1. From the standpoint of listening, both the OMNI and the Field offered first-rate audio (clear, crisp, clean CW notes) and had no trouble
separating the numerous signals (both rigs have a full complement of optional filters). The geomagnetic K index was minimal, so conditions were excellent. Little or no QRN.

2. To state the obvious, the OMNI is refined and smooth, ergonomically speaking. All I
did was twirl the tuning dial. hit the various filter buttons depending onwhat I wanted to hear--from everything when using the two OEM 2.4 kHz filters, to a 500/250 combination to isolate a particular signal. Also used the PBT
control occasionally and ditto the NR button. The Field was almost as smooth, requiring very little fiddling with the controls, except The Field's
filter arrangement doesn't allow for mixing and matching like the OMNI but it does have a second receiver which was fun to use when I wanted
to open up the bandwidth. In short, a draw. But the OMNI still wins on ergonomic simplicity.

As for the IC-7410, I will posit that Icoms contain the most sophisticated firmware and software in the ham world, and even in the cheaper 7410 it shows. The filtering, noise reduction, etc., are all very effective. I did
not find any reciprocal mixing problems that one might expect in a lower-priced rig. But using all of the DSP circuitry to its fullest requires a lot of adjusting, both with the knobs and dials and with the menus. The CW sound, which is very good, still betrays its DSP origins.

At the end of the day Saturday I went to the OMNI, and then to the Field. Very easy listening. I'll keep the 7410 as a third rig just in case.
Thanks for reading.

John, W3ULS

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2011 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Wow! I Like it!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, first, please realize I had an Omni VI (not a plus), and liked it, but the drift (shack temp is usually quite low) on initial start-up was disconcerting to say the least. On the Plus, you get either an ovenized oscillator, or a temp compensated one, and it makes all the difference. Mine is loaded with filters, including the Inrad roofing filter. It is outstanding. Not wide enough for ESSB, but I'm not into that. GREAT communications audio, and that's what's important to me. The audio DSP doesn't work miracles, but the roofing filter puts this baby right up towards the top of the famed "Sherwood Dynamic Range Chart. She's a keeper!

MI3LVZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2010 08:36 Send this review to a friend
So far so good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After my first experience with Ten-Tec and their Paragon which was a disaster for me, hence my very poor review and i hasten to add was wrote moments after it had expired for the umpteenth time which should explain my rant but i thought it would only be fair the give Ten-Tec another chance. Firstly some bad points. The radio does not have the quality feel of Japanese equipment of the same period, say a Kenwood TS 870. The push buttons have a rather flimsy and cheap feel to them and lack a positive touch. The same goes for any of the potentiometers and the VFO felt too firm and almost notchy. When i received my 6 Plus i noticed that when i turned the VFO the display would miss a turn every now and then, particularly when the radio was cold. I traced this down to a faulty VFO encoder and replaced it with an updated unit from Ten-Tec. This has cured the problem and also transformed the VFO action in to silky smooth which is much nicer to use. The radio was also off frequency a tad but this was a very easy fix and you will find the cans on a board directly under the speaker. There are still traces of digital birdies floating around the receiver from the cpu but i am now at the stage were i just dont hear them anymore. I was fortunate to buy my 6 Plus with all the filter slots filled with TT and Inrad units and the Inrad audio mod has been done as well. The DSP and filter system is just superb in getting rid of most interference and QRM although this is my first experience of a DSP radio. Pass band tuning is very selective and the notch is adequate. I run mine with an Astatic 878DM deskmic and also a computer headset and mic boom which i bought from Ebay. Time and time again i constantly get unsolicited audio reports particularly when using the headset. The display is big and bright and generally the radio is very handsome to look at. Given my first experience with Ten-Tec i bought this radio with certain trepidation however i am starting to warm to the yank. In my shack i have a sea of the usual Japanese black box's but my hand is starting to wander towards the Ten-Tecs VFO more often. So far i am very happy and thoroughly enjoy using it. As for marks i would give it a 4.5..

Martin.
2I0GIQ

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 08:31 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think that this a really nice and easy to use radio. The display is nice and large and the clock keeps excellent time. My current radio has every filter slot filled and operates great on both SSB and CW. All controls are straightforward and quite intuitive.

Unfortunately, I will be selling my last one as I prefer 200 watt radios so that I do not have to use my amplifier on HF. Barring that, this radio is excellent for my purposes. If you can find one at a reasonable price, buy it. You cannot go wrong with this American-made radio.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE

NC2F Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2009 06:20 Send this review to a friend
"Elegant and Unpretentious"  Time owned: more than 12 months
"Elegant and Unpretentious". These were the two descriptives used by N5XM, and I couldn't agree more.

Before I acquired my current Omni VI Plus I wanted to buy another brand new transceiver with all the latest and greatest features, I really did. Then I started to compare where I would attain the best value to performance ratio that I could spend my money on that would suit my needs and wondered, was a new radio the best way to go to get the receiver performance I was after along with a straight forward radio absent of a sea of menus just to make even the basic adjustments? Was buying a new radio the only way to get the best overall performance? My question was answered when I thought back to the last Model 564 Omni VI Plus I had owned and foolishly sold to acquire a new rig that I thought would be better, but ended up not being so. In comparison, it was deaf compared to the 564.

What made my decision even easier to get another Omni VI plus back in the shack was I had located one that was for sale from a Ham who not only took great care of his 564, but had it ready to go with all the filter positions filled, the INRAD roofing filter installed, the INRAD Audio Mod performed. The rig also included the 961 Power Supply/Speaker and a 301 remote and I added a TT Tuner to complete my station.

When it comes to performance, all I can say is this rig gets it done, period. The receiver is second to none in my opinion, and after all these years Ten-Tec's design coupled with the INRAD filtering outshines most of the contemporary offerings out there priced much higher than what you will commonly find the VI Plus priced at. I use this rig exclusively between CW and SSB modes and nothing satisfies me greater than the ease of use and outstanding reports and performance it provides. Every time I sit down in the shack with my Omni VI Plus the rig offers a high degree of satisfaction and makes me look forward to getting on the air.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending a model 564 to anyone if you came across one for sale. With the noted filters I mentioned above, you're way out in front of much offered as new today without the accompanying expense for the pure joy of operating a quality transceiver.

The 564 Omni VI Plus owner's group link: